IWB carry issues

My concealed carry weapon is an HK P2000SK which holds 10+1 in 9mm. It is a "compact" model polymer frame semi-auto that I would categorize as a mid-weight firearm. I am using a lightweight Kydex IWB holster...I usually wear jeans or lightweight khaki shorts.

My issue is this, when I wear the holster and gun in my IWB holster, I am getting a good amount of sag in the belt. It makes me feel like I am in the old west with a six shooter hanging down by my side. I think the issue may be my belt. I am wearing an 1.25 inch braided leather dress belt.

Do any of you have suggestions on how to reduce the sag? I try to tighten up the belt I am wearing but it gets uncomfortable if I try to really lock the gun in place. Is a gun belt the answer? Are gun belts stiffer or better at distributing the weight than normal off the shelf belts?

I would like to avoid the whole tactical suspenders thing if possible.

Suggestions appreciated...

Russ

Last edited:
Yes, by a REAL gun belt. Nothing else will really help. BTDT
Yep. Get a really good gun belt and you'll never have a problem.

One thing to note: I bought one of the bullhide gun belts a couple of years ago, figuring a heavier belt was even better, but it was too much. It was extremely uncomfortable. I replaced it with a beltman belt and am happy. I've also had good luck with Galco gun belts in the past.

Your belt sucks, it needs to be stiff. If it doesn't stand up on edge if laid out on a table it's not stiff enough. It also helps to have an adjustment hole or variable adjustment so that you can get the right amount of tension to be just on the edge of not being comfortable. Some good leather belts, the holes end up in the wrong place and you end up with having to choose between "oh **** I can't breathe" and "**** this is way too loose". Getting those two things squared away will make a world of difference.

ETA: having a holster which doesn't hold the gun too high above the belt helps, too... if the butt of the gun is too high off the belt it will "flop" around, etc. Not to mention it's more likely to smash you in the ribs, depending on your frame/flab.

-Mike

Last edited:
Yep. Get a really good gun belt and you'll never have a problem.

One thing to note: I bought one of the bullhide gun belts a couple of years ago, figuring a heavier belt was even better, but it was too much. It was extremely uncomfortable. I replaced it with a beltman belt and am happy. I've also had good luck with Galco gun belts in the past.

+1 on the Galco belts. I have the CLB5, only 30 dollars:

https://www.galcogunleather.com/clb5-carry-lite-belt_8_254_1058.html

Those braided belts are definitely not stiff enough to support ANY gun, even a lightweight BG380 or something. As others pointed out it has to be rigid on the vertical plane, but the belt itself doesn't have to be super in the other plane. For example, I prefer the nylon "wilderness instructor" style belt over leather. When you finally try the correct type of belt, it will be a real aha moment for you.

Russ,

Not often you see another in Mass carrying a P2000SK, was pumped to see that.

As others suggested the belt and a good holster will help cure that sag some. I use
the Jones tactical 1.5" EDC belt and the Stealthgear onyx holster for my P2000SK. I've had several holsters for it including kydex and leather variants, the stealthgear is BY FAR the most comfortable for this gun. The padding on the inside of it lets you tighten the belt down and still feel like it's not even there (other than the weight obviously).

Some situations call for a smaller, easier to carry gun especially during the summer. Everytime I go fishing in a light shirt and waders I got tired of carrying my SK so I recently picked up a Sig P238 and have been pocket carrying it in a Galco. Great for summer, SK will be back once it cools down some although I still bring it if I head to the city.

Last edited:
You need a gun belt. No one should be carrying without a dedicated gun belt. Plenty of them look nice and can work for casual and dress wear, but you have to have one. Galco has a good selection of belts. I have two of theirs and I like them.

Back
Top Bottom