• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IWB carry always feels too loose for me. Is this common?

It seems as if no matter where I position my holster, the size pants I wear, or the tightness of my belt, I always have a problem with IWB carry. I started out with an EliteIWB holster. Very standard nylon holster. Decided to get something with better quality, so ended up with an AlienGear IWB holster.

I carry a Ruger SR9c. Regular pant waist size is a size 32 but I can fit snug into a 31. I have a tall/slim but muscular build. Even when I'm WALKING, the holster doesn't feel tight against me at all. I'm very self conscious about it not being secure on me. I've actually had my gun fall out of my EliteIWB holster when I was getting out of my car once. Thank god no one was around..that would be weird. Maybe because it was a cheap holster? Maybe it caught on something? I don't know…but that was the last ****ing time I ever used that holster. Needless to say, I was pissed off and embarassed at MYSELF because of that incident even with no one to witness it. I've always worn a belt with my pants, too. I can't seem to find any solution to where it will feel tight and secure against me without having my belt/pants so god dam tight it hurts.

It seems as if no matter where I position my holster, the size pants I wear, or the tightness of my belt, I always have a problem with IWB carry. I started out with an EliteIWB holster. Very standard nylon holster. Decided to get something with better quality, so ended up with an AlienGear IWB holster.

I carry a Ruger SR9c. Regular pant waist size is a size 32 but I can fit snug into a 31. I have a tall/slim but muscular build. Even when I'm WALKING, the holster doesn't feel tight against me at all. I'm very self conscious about it not being secure on me. I've actually had my gun fall out of my EliteIWB holster when I was getting out of my car once. Thank god no one was around..that would be weird. Maybe because it was a cheap holster? Maybe it caught on something? I don't know…but that was the last ****ing time I ever used that holster. Needless to say, I was pissed off and embarassed at MYSELF because of that incident even with no one to witness it. I've always worn a belt with my pants, too. I can't seem to find any solution to where it will feel tight and secure against me without having my belt/pants so god dam tight it hurts.

FWIW I have the opposite problem. I an too fat. I finally found out that it made a big difference where the holster is located. Try different positions. I found that the 6 O'Clock is the most comfortable for me.

Also, I got a IWB holster that has a security strap, which makes me feel more confident about not dropping it while shoveling snow. (Don't ask why I know )

Say "no" to nylon holsters. Personally for IWB good leather is a 2nd choice as it takes up too much space. Kydex is the way to go. Leather backing for comfort if you need it, but as much as possible the retention mechanism being kydex minimizes thickness in most cases as well as improves retention.

Nice thick belt (1.25 to 1.5 inch wide and THICK to hold the weight).

You just have to experiment with pants/belt/holster combos until you find whats comfortable and works for you. Anyone who's been carrying for years has either drawers or shoeboxes full of holsters/belts that they tried and disliked. Or in my case I have different holsters for different guns and for different levels of activity.
I assume you're still new to carrying so have patience. Remember that you get what you pay for. When I first starting carrying 14 years ago I bought a $10 Uncle Mikes nylon IWB open top holster for the PPK. Huge mistake. Spend the money on good quality leather with reinforced mouth or kydex. I prefer leather.

I agree that kydex is the way to go. The retention is adjustable so you can snug it up to your liking. I have had good luck with a couple no name kydex holsters from ebay. Good quality lower price. I did catch the clip on my door pocket and snap it off once but even then it stayed in place until i got home. I am a similar size/ build and find 3:30 with a nice cant works well for me. I use a nice thick leather belt made by columbia and have had no problems

Garrett Industries Silent Thunder IWB - leather lined Kydex, adjustable retention and cant, several different clip options, easy on/off, comfortable and is tuckable for maximum concealment if needed. This and a genuine gun belt (I have one from "A Better Belt USA") and you won't look back. It'll run you about $150.00 or so (holster & belt) but it will solve your problem. I use this set up to EDC a Sig P938 and it works great.

Last edited:
Good belts and good holsters. Kydex will have better retention than nylon. The grip end essentially makes the firearm top heavy when holstered. Without a holster with a good bite against a stiff belt, the gun will want to fall away from you. Try kydex with a clip as opposed to soft loops.

Last edited:
I use a standard issue army ACU belt with my jeans and IWB holster. The belt was 10 bucks at the PX......you can buy em on amazon and eBay. They are cheap but wide and very strong nylon. Not attractive.....but carrying iwb you have your shirt untucked or wearing a sweatshirt or jacket anyway right? With that belt and a nylon iwb clip holster my ruger sp101 isnt going anywhere and is comfortable enough all day.

I hate how IWB feels. Unless you get custom tailored pants, going a size up to fit the gun screws up the rest of the fit too. I pocket carry.

I agree with everyone else on investing in a good belt, and holster. I'm not sure how high your holster sits over your belt, but that could also be a problem if it is too high. If the clip is adjustable, try to get it to sit a little lower.

As others have mentioned, having a good stiff belt is pretty important. Then, a quality holster. One thing is for certain, when you carry concealed, you'll end up with a collection of holsters in a drawer somewhere.

Once you have a good belt, then you have to figure out OWB or IWB. OWB is more comfortable, but a bit harder to conceal.

IWB: Many have good luck with VersaMax IIs from Milt Sparks, but if you want something less expensive that you can take on-and-off easily, a Klipt from Blade-Tech works well for many when carrying something the size of an M&P Shield.

Get a good kydex holster with two belt loops. Single loop holsters allow the gun to spin around. Two-loop holsters not only hold it fixed in place, but they distribute the weight over a larger area so you forget you're even wearing it.

Example, Comptac Spartan:

10231_1.jpg

As others said, a good holster and belt. I'm a 30 waist and have no problem with IWB carry being too loose.

What everyone else has said. Get a good holster. I like the Foxx holster hybrids. Most comfortable holster I've ever used, hands down. Go up a size in the pants waist. If you're a 34, get some 36's. Get a *good* gun belt. You can go too extreme with that, though. I ordered a belt from bullhide belts and couldn't use it. It was way too thick. Carry the pistol at 4-5 o'clock.

I do use a Uncle Mike Sidekick #1 nylon holster. I run my daily 1.5 inch belt around the outside of the holster to keep the pistol tight against my hip. The 1936 M34 Beretta in .380 fits and carries well. I did have trouble keeping my pants up when I was heavier, but I have recently lost 140 pounds and carrying is a lot more secure. I tried an in-the pocket holster until my previous carry piece - a 1939 M35 Beretta in 7.65mm - fell out onto the concrete floor of a Home Deopt when I squatted down to look at a bottom shelf item.[shocked]

I have also used a Bianchi clip on holster that allows a second mag, but it sticks out further from my hip, and an original '50's 7.65mm German holster with a second mag, but that one flops around a lot.

T

Last edited:
I'm very much new to IWB CC but aside from a quality holster and gun belt, I find a pair of suspenders to be helpful in taking weight off the belt and so you don't have the belt so tight it stops regular blood flow

I agree with everyone on holster and stiff belt. I have an sr9c and first got a N82, the pro I think its called. Very good retention because you have to twist it to get it out. The only problem is the single clip and it was rather bulky. I just got a white hat holster and love it. With a tight belt, it holds well, but they say you can heat the kydex and make it tighter if needed.

Back
Top Bottom