• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I've enjoyed shooting Glocks for nearly 20 years, but....

Mikie

NES Member
I've always been a Glock fan, owned 5 that I sold and still have 3, 2 of them Gen 4s. They're a simple design, reliable and accurate. But out of the box I have had to buy and install Ghost triggers for all of them to get the trigger to break at a point I'm comfortable with. Otherwise they're good to go. Unfortunately in MA you can't buy Gen 4s or 5s in a gunshop so if you find an MA resident selling one you will pay a premium. If BNIB, $700-750, if used, $625-650. Enter H&K VP9 (just bought one). Nearly every GS has them and they are priced about $100 or so less than the new Glocks. Out of the box the trigger is superb and with the side panels and backstrap adjustable you get exactly the right fit. Mine ran flawlessly, hit point of aim, and after adjusting my grip had negligible muzzle rise. I am very pleased I made the investment. H&K already make the VP in 9 and 40. Next will be the VP45 and I will definitely get one.

Agreed - everything HK makes is top notch albeit expensive. USP is still the ideal polymer gun IMHO they the most reliable and durable and will take thousands of rounds without any maintenance just basic cleaning - never met someone who had a problem with a USP.

If you want to talk about the roller lock guns start by thinking about how long they have been in service and the wide variety of commissions they have served: police, military, people even compete and hunt with them. Awesome company.

me also, i agree. i've only owned one hk, a p9s i bought in the 80's, a police trade in gun from germany. that pistol left a lasting impression. man, i wish i still owned it, but....
300px-Heckler_%26_Koch_p9s.jpg

the vp9 is on my short list. i fondled one a couple of years ago but have never shot one. from what i'm hearing it just confirms my memories of the p9s and hk.

I've rarely overpaid for a Glock. I actually like the trigger. LOL After about the same 20 years, it's second nature to me. It FEELS strange, but it is consistent. I've gotten used to the consistency.

The other advantage is, if you like the platform, there's a full size, compact, subcompact, uber-compact, race-gun, etc., All in multiple calibers. I once owned a Walther P99. It was also a nice gun. (Although the whole safety thing always messed with me. Cocked? Decocked? ????) But it came in ONE size. Sold it during the Great Newtown Gun Scramble of 201x.

The only real competition if you are looking for sizes is the S&W.

BUT. . . . . shoot what you like. It's about what YOU want to shoot. And it's one less Glock shooter in MA means less competition for me. Hahahahahaha.

I’ll take a Glock for self defense any day because they are so simple to operate and are reliable (in my experience). That being said, I think they are boring and don’t really care to shoot them for fun. So many other better options out there for range toys.

....I think they are boring and don’t really care to shoot them for fun. So many other better options out there for range toys.
pretty much my attitude also, but i put my 19 aside for a shield as a daily driver cause i'm old and fat. people think if you're big, concealment is easier. not true i've found. as i loose weight, i would look at the compact vp9 seriously.

I've always been a Glock fan, owned 5 that I sold and still have 3, 2 of them Gen 4s. They're a simple design, reliable and accurate. But out of the box I have had to buy and install Ghost triggers for all of them to get the trigger to break at a point I'm comfortable with. Otherwise they're good to go. Unfortunately in MA you can't buy Gen 4s or 5s in a gunshop so if you find an MA resident selling one you will pay a premium. If BNIB, $700-750, if used, $625-650. Enter H&K VP9 (just bought one). Nearly every GS has them and they are priced about $100 or so less than the new Glocks. Out of the box the trigger is superb and with the side panels and backstrap adjustable you get exactly the right fit. Mine ran flawlessly, hit point of aim, and after adjusting my grip had negligible muzzle rise. I am very pleased I made the investment. H&K already make the VP in 9 and 40. Next will be the VP45 and I will definitely get one.

I've always liked Glocks, never overpaid Gen4's to me are $500 brand new, and will probably always carry my g32/19/23 as I've not found a better concealable/mag capacity combo....for all around carry. Close second and when I want a big bore is the Shield 45. But I like having 14 rounds of hot 357 sig.

When it comes to range guns though, my pick is the cheapest ass Canik TP9SF. Glad I bought it over the VP9, as a range beater it's gone thru thousands of reloads without a hiccup. Fantastic trigger, and super accurate, very reliable. It's no VP9 in finish, but I didn't pay for it either.

HK is a great gun...no question....but there are a lot of alternatives out there to the G17 that are fantastic right now, for not a lot of money.

I fell for the vp9 also nice gun I agree. the trigger guard bothers my finger at times . it is a great unit right out of the box . still not a 1911. the glock 34 sits in the safe. should sell it some time with the pre bans I really don't use it.

Sometimes I feel like buying a Glock just because Maura says no.

I bought a Glock 26 two weeks ago using just that logic!

+1 for the VP9 though. I have one that serves as my full-size carry gun. Would trust my life to it. The only downside is no pre-ban standard capacity magazines. It annoys me to no end that I'm not allowed to carry those extra 5 rounds.

Why would one buy the VP9 over the sig 226? Why go polymer when you can get the alloy frame of a sig?

I don't own any of these, but have shot both of them Tomb Raider style, gun in each hand, and couldn't tell the difference.

I'd get the 226 if I was looking for a DA/SA.

Both were real nice, just matters if you like the weird mag release and where the decocker is located.

I'm re-posting this verbatim:
I have a hard time understanding why people like the VP9 so much, except for the fact that it is readily accessible in the people's republic. I really find it underwhelming and think it is worth the effort to track down better options.

The grip ergos are probably the biggest selling point but everything else is not so great:
-OK trigger, but spongy and long reset.
-Stupid mag release paddles that requires training and because it is different from like 95% of other semi pistols.
-Expensive magazines
-Action sounds like worn out mattress.
-Dinky right sight ambi slide release (although it actually works)
-Open firing pin channel indicator just begging to be filled with junk, which is also redundant because there is a loaded chamber indicator on the extractor
-Grip texture that is not very grippy.
-Night sights that are meh (no high visability outline)
-Little cocking wings that add bulk and are known to snap off.
-Less than stellar reliability reputation
-Overpriced

For the price, I would want a better package. Out of the box I would still take another G19, P10c, or a p320 any day.
I really need to pick up an M&P one of these days to form a better opinion about it, but based on it's features and the depth of the aftermarket, I would have probably gone for one of these with an apex over a VP9 if I rewound the tape.
Honestly, the only reason I am holding on the VP is to get one of those snap on faux compensators and pretend I am John Wick, but really I should just get a P30L. :D

Last edited:
I don't own any of these, but have shot both of them Tomb Raider style, gun in each hand, and couldn't tell the difference. I'd get the 226 if I was looking for a DA/SA. Both were real nice, just matters if you like the weird mag release and where the decocker is located.

Not sure if I am reading this right? The VP9 is a striker fired pistol, no decocker.
Kind of apples and orange hand-grenades.

VP9 is a great firearm!! Super accurate out of the box. Fits my hand perfectly. However, watch youtube video on reliability test. Worth watching if you are thinking of making the VP9 yr carry firearm. I prefer firing the VP9 at the range, but carry Gen4 G19, or G43 (in summer).

I bought a Glock 26 two weeks ago using just that logic!

+1 for the VP9 though. I have one that serves as my full-size carry gun. Would trust my life to it. The only downside is no pre-ban standard capacity magazines. It annoys me to no end that I'm not allowed to carry those extra 5 rounds.

I just bought two brand new 15 round Glock mags to add to the 4 I already owned for my Gen 2 model 19 that I've been carrying since 1990. I paid what you're supposed to pay in a free state. There are no date stamps or serial numbers on them, and other than the mag follower being a different color there is no way to tell which is pre-ban and which isnt.
I never understood the Glock mag issue. They're easy to find just about everywhere outside of Mass and as far as I can tell there is no way for anyone to ever know how long they've been in the state. Seems like a non-issue.

Not sure if I am reading this right? The VP9 is a striker fired pistol, no decocker.
Kind of apples and orange hand-grenades.

Yes, you are right. I must have shot the p30. The gun I shot had a decocker at the back of the slide next to the hammer.

Wait... wut? People enjoy shooting Glocks? I have not fired all of them, but have fired most, and have never fired one that made me want to load another magazine and continue shooting.
I hate the grips and grip angle, and that stupid Glock trigger that feels like there is a paper clip hanging off he front of it. In fact, I don't want to shoot any guns that have that style trigger, and really don't understand it's purpose. I understand that you have to depress the "safety" but it's not like you could avoid it if you put your finger in the trigger guard. It's not like a 1911 grip safety, where if you are not deliberate it will not fire. Totally unnecessary. If I do not want to fire, my trigger finger is along the frame, not inside the trigger guard. El stupido.

I'm re-posting this verbatim:
I have a hard time understanding why people like the VP9 so much, except for the fact that it is readily accessible in the people's republic. I really find it underwhelming and think it is worth the effort to track down better options.

The grip ergos are probably the biggest selling point but everything else is not so great:
-OK trigger, but spongy and long reset.
-Stupid mag release paddles that requires training and because it is different from like 95% of other semi pistols.
-Expensive magazines
-Action sounds like worn out mattress.
-Dinky right sight ambi slide release (although it actually works)
-Open firing pin channel indicator just begging to be filled with junk, which is also redundant because there is a loaded chamber indicator on the extractor
-Grip texture that is not very grippy.
-Night sights that are meh (no high visability outline)
-Little cocking wings that add bulk and are known to snap off.
-Less than stellar reliability reputation
-Overpriced

For the price, I would want a better package. Out of the box I would still take another G19, P10c, or a p320 any day.
I really need to pick up an M&P one of these days to form a better opinion about it, but based on it's features and the depth of the aftermarket, I would have probably gone for one of these with an apex over a VP9 if I rewound the tape.
Honestly, the only reason I am holding on the VP is to get one of those snap on faux compensators and pretend I am John Wick, but really I should just get a P30L. :D

I'm going to add that these are typical problems with Glocks as well. Actually Glock triggers are not OK, they suck as far as quality pull and break go. The action isn't that great, but hey- that's what you get with most polymer framed guns. Glock sights are so-so. Also, you are going to pay that premium for a newer Glock in the PRM. I do have a couple and consider Glocks to be a great, maybe the best utility gun.

P320 a very nice choice...

Going to add Walther PPQ to the list- nice gun with the best ergonomics but unobtanium in the PRM.

HK's are great, glad the OP likes it.

USP is big and not the most ergonomic grip-wise, but it is sexy, with a great trigger, awesome decocker/safety setup, and utterly reliable.

And the mag release is something I prefer. Stop trying to depress the button with your thumb and use your index or middle finger. Much easier. I actually dislike thumb-side mag release because I either hit them by accident or have trouble depressing them.

I actually swap my mag releases on other guns to the index finger side as I prefer to use my middle finger to release mags.

I'm going to add that these are typical problems with Glocks as well. Actually Glock triggers are not OK, they suck as far as quality pull and break go. The action isn't that great, but hey- that's what you get with most polymer framed guns. Glock sights are so-so. Also, you are going to pay that premium for a newer Glock in the PRM. I do have a couple and consider Glocks to be a great, maybe the best utility gun.

P320 a very nice choice...

Going to add Walther PPQ to the list- nice gun with the best ergonomics but unobtanium in the PRM.

HK's are great, glad the OP likes it.

No doubt, I could make a laundry list of beef I have with Glocks and the list of mods I prefer. A set of irons sights and a 5¢ polish and I would still take it over a VP9 any day. It's gun I simply have no enthusiasm for and don't really enjoy shooting, which is rare. Don't want to be a buzz kill but there it is.

Does the VP9 have slack in the trigger after the reset point? My P2000SK does and it annoys me to no end.

I love my G17, but I agree that the weakness of the Glock trigger is a problem. It has the 'feel' of plastic grinding-against plastic and loads of travel. As a result, I have difficulty with consistent, smooth trigger pull and keeping on-target when shooting steel-plate. The rest of the gun is flawless and dead-reliable.

I love my G17, but I agree that the weakness of the Glock trigger is a problem. It has the 'feel' of plastic grinding-against plastic and loads of travel. As a result, I have difficulty with consistent, smooth trigger pull and keeping on-target when shooting steel-plate. The rest of the gun is flawless and dead-reliable.
A little bit of polishing does wonders. Its not a cure all, but it's not bad if you are going to leave everything the way it is without swapping parts.

Back
Top Bottom