i've been trying appendix carry for a few weeks...

greencobra

NES Member
and i don't hate it. some might remember i had to move the position of my holstered pistol from 5 to 3 o'clock on the right side because of a back issue. the holster was creeping towards the front anyway so wtf, lets try it. i've read all the pros and cons that usually get posted when someone mentions appendix carry, the big one being "you'll shoot your nuts off", that sort of stuff.

i'm a big guy, very big some might say. never thought i'd be able to pull it off but you don't know until you try. you know, i like it. i have no interference with any activity. my two main concerns were sitting, would it poke into my thigh, and while driving, would i be able to move my foot/leg to the brake quickly without it interfering with that movement. don't know why that was a concern but it was. so yeah, it's working for me, very comfortable, out of the way really, and i think the position conceals better under a tee shirt. and being in front like that, it seems to be a better and natural position for my hand to go to when i draw. i won't lie, i do get a little nervous right now when i take it off my belt. fiddling with the belt clip to get it off...suddenly, becoming a eunuch is a concern and not on my agenda.

i'll see what happens in the next few weeks, if i continue to keep it there. i know it's no big thing but it is a topic that only has 2 distinct opinions, either pro or con with no middle ground. i'm a big fan of not switching things up with my carry gun. same gun for 10 years, and a there's been a gun at the 5 o' clock since forever until recently. muscle memory on something important like this is key i feel. same position, same gun feel when i go for it. that all changes when you change something...gun, holster, positioning, it all matters. so i best get to the range and work with it for a while.

I’ve sort of had the same mind set recently in that I’ve gone from 4 o’clock to more of a 2-2:30 position. Not quite appendix but close and it’s surprisingly comfortable! Not having a chunk of iron either on the outside or behind my hip actually feels better and less awkward. I’m in the process of going from a micro 9mm (P938/P365 XL) to a Kimber K6s 3” revolver (.357/.38) platform as my daily carry. I’ve been experimenting with an old Bianchi leather OWB holster that fits my new Kimber like a glove but I got a new leather JM4 High Ride IWB holster due in this week so I’ll have to see how it works out. The JM4 can definitely be worn appendix style so I might give that a shot (no pun intended) as well.

It's a great way to carry. A couple of tips I can share after several years of carrying appendix:
  • Make sure you're using a quality kydex holster. No leather, no cloth, etc - kydex only, did obvious safety reasons. It has to cover the trigger guard fully.
  • As an extra precaution, I don't like holstering in that position. I insert the gun into the holster, and then the entire package does into my pants.
  • A "claw" is a great add-on. It pushes the grip side closer to the body and helps with both comfort and printing. It also helps stop the gun/holster from rotating (loops can accomplish this too but I prefer a wide clip).
  • In a vehicle, you can untuck your shirt from behind the seatbelt and drape it over your front. Gives you very fast access to your gun.

I owb carry at 2:00 and i have a High Noon Skin guard with a Kimber Micro 380 and Beretta nano . Simple design, very secure, reasonable comfort sitting and no body movement limitations. Works for me , and im tough to fit for CC as im a very thin build .

It's a great way to carry. A couple of tips I can share after several years of carrying appendix:
  • Make sure you're using a quality kydex holster. No leather, no cloth, etc - kydex only, did obvious safety reasons. It has to cover the trigger guard fully.
  • As an extra precaution, I don't like holstering in that position. I insert the gun into the holster, and then the entire package does into my pants.
  • A "claw" is a great add-on. It pushes the grip side closer to the body and helps with both comfort and printing. It also helps stop the gun/holster from rotating (loops can accomplish this too but I prefer a wide clip).
  • In a vehicle, you can untuck your shirt from behind the seatbelt and drape it over your front. Gives you very fast access to your gun.
I just rely on being tall and thin ;)
Sidecar rigs are great.
I wouldn't worry about a leather AIWB holster with a reinforced mouth, but there are so many good kydex options that I don't know that I'd buy the leather.

The biggest thing I'd add is: wearing your belt above the point of your hips is probably the most important change a person can make to carry a holster better.

Make sure you're using a quality kydex holster.
yep, use one
I insert the gun into the holster, and then the entire package does into my pants.
yep, i do it this way also. doesn.t make sense to put on the holster then insert the gun. too much handling if you ask me.
A "claw" is a great add-on.
not sure what this is
In a vehicle, you can untuck your shirt from behind the seatbelt
seatbelt? what's that? in other words, don't use onr. [angry]

yep, i do it this way also. doesn.t make sense to put on the holster then insert the gun. too much handling if you ask me.
... until you're in a class. Then, just look the gun into the holster, and confirm everything is out of the way.
not sure what this is
It's a device for pushing the grip into your body to improve concealment.

In this photo, it's the dingus hanging out under the pistol grip:
what-is-a-holster-claw_1024x1024.png

Another option is to add a foam wedge on the holster, closer to your body. I have a pack of them here, happy to throw one of them your way, if you'd like.

BTW - props for trying something new. Even if it doesn't become your "one, true way" you're learning, experimenting, and growing.

Last edited:
The biggest thing I'd add is: wearing your belt above the point of your hips is probably the most important change a person can make to carry a holster better.

This. Belt position is critical. I like those ratcheting Nexbelts so I can micro adjust them depending on the moment. Getting in a car? Let it out a few clicks. Getting out of the car? Lift the whole rig and tighten it up a few.

I think I have three of these at this point.

Amazon product ASIN B0BRYL8H9PView: https://www.amazon.com/Nexbelt-Titan-Tactical-Ratchet-Concealed/dp/B0BRYL8H9P?th=1&psc=1

Last edited:
This is my edc. S&W M&P 2.0 compact with a TLR 7 light in a Teir 1 Concealment holster. Most comfortable rig I have ever worn. I used to only buy $20 holsters from Amazon, and found that even carrying my Ruger LC9 was pokey In the appendix position with the cheap iwb holster. I always went back to an owb pancake. This holster was part of the package when I bought this pistol, and now I know what everyone means when they say “buy a good holster”.

I’ll also add that a good belt completes the package. 5.11 makes a great belt for appendix carry. Stiff enough for the holster to grab, but with a bit of elastic so it has some give when you sit down or bend over. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/511-tactical-elas-tac-belt-for-men

925D6768-7472-46B4-8D9D-2019DE0934AF.jpeg

Last edited:
This. Belt position is critical. I like those ratcheting Nexbelts so I can micro adjust them depending on the moment. Getting in a car? Let it out a few clicks. Getting out of the car? Lift the whole rig and tighten it up a few.
100%

I've always preferred my belt nearer my natural waist, but carrying a pistol has cemented it. It's also why I'm getting really picky about pants - if there isn't enough rise to actually get my belt above the iliac crest, I have to pass them on.

I think it's all about security (from a$$-hat's grabing at my stuff). Ideally I would have the pistol positioned right over my belly button, on an angle entirely ergonomic for my right hand. the challange there is, with my belly, it' looks like I have a severe hernia. that and access, access, access.

bad, really bad ... 1675526853219.png

this is just asking for a quick disarming (from behind) ... 1675526974196.png

good, right on par ... 1675526814666.png

but this is where I'm at these days ... 1675527200542.png

+1 for Nextbelt. They are mint and make carrying a Sidecar or T1C type rig super comfortable. You can also start your belt buckle to the left of the first loop on your pants and you’ve then got clean surface area for both clips and the buckle isn’t pressed into your stomach.

I AIWC my G26 in the summer. I use a Ventcore 1.0 Appendix IWB Plus Holster or a Ventcore 1.0 Appendix IWB Holster depending on where I am carrying the extra mag. I use this Polymer 2-Hole Angled Clip - Single instead of a claw.
It's not the stealthiest, since I do have a tactical muffin top, but it is comfy with a NexBelt.
I AIWB my G26 in the winter in this holster by Looper Law. In the summer I have the same for BG 380. Adjustable cant on waistband clip makes it easy to reposition for driving and sitting.
86838C57-A142-446D-BAEC-574BAC9883A7.png

ahh, i believe i have seen those...thanks for the photo

shield w/8 rd mag in a concealment express holster

View attachment 717213

So FWIW, I think I have dialed this in.

The last piece I had to work on was the claw. The one I was using was digging in to my right thigh crease. I found one off Amazon that had a slightly different angle and was smoother than some of the ones shown above that I own. I also use soft loops not a plastic or metal clip. Found the DCC clips (metal ones) to be too difficult to use and went to soft loops which I used for my strong side carry from before. So using a velcro wedge, soft loops, and a different claw along with a slightly lower ride height and cant really made the difference for me.

I watched a few fat guys AIWB carry video's and while I'm not over 300# I don't have wash board abs by any stretch. LOL I figured they had to have some ideas that might help and they did. The lower ride height and slight cant were game changers for me. I can sit comfortably both in my home office and truck and only have to make a slight adjustment when standing up.

I just need to do some draw/dry fire practice to now get the different draw down.

So FWIW, I think I have dialed this in.

The last piece I had to work on was the claw. The one I was using was digging in to my right thigh crease. I found one off Amazon that had a slightly different angle and was smoother than some of the ones shown above that I own. I also use soft loops not a plastic or metal clip. Found the DCC clips (metal ones) to be too difficult to use and went to soft loops which I used for my strong side carry from before. So using a velcro wedge, soft loops, and a different claw along with a slightly lower ride height and cant really made the difference for me.

I watched a few fat guys AIWB carry video's and while I'm not over 300# I don't have wash board abs by any stretch. LOL I figured they had to have some ideas that might help and they did. The lower ride height and slight cant were game changers for me. I can sit comfortably both in my home office and truck and only have to make a slight adjustment when standing up.

I just need to do some draw/dry fire practice to now get the different draw down.
Wouldn't a slight cant point it at your femoral?

... until you're in a class. Then, just look the gun into the holster, and confirm everything is out of the way.

It's a device for pushing the grip into your body to improve concealment.

In this photo, it's the dingus hanging out under the pistol grip:
what-is-a-holster-claw_1024x1024.png

Another option is to add a foam wedge on the holster, closer to your body. I have a pack of them here, happy to throw one of them your way, if you'd like.

BTW - props for trying something new. Even if it doesn't become your "one, true way" you're learning, experimenting, and growing.

Not exactly directed as a response to this, but to keep on theme: I don't understand claws. Yes, they do seem to push the grip side inward, thus mitigating some printing on that end, but the net result is the slide end pushing out instead. Equal and opposite reaction. Can't push the handle in AND the slide end unless the claw were to somehow bend the pistol. Maybe I'm too skinny for a claw to work properly and need to hit that creatine.

Back
Top Bottom