• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I've been hacked

I have had several accounts hacked recently. It began earlier this week with 3 of my Eve Online accounts all being hacked. I received email alerts about log in attempts and password recovery requests. I logged into all of my accounts and noticed a lot of stuff missing with all of it sold on the games market. I am out about 40 billion+ in isk ( in game currency). I haven't played this game in a while but plan to return at sometime. I contacted Eve support and they have locked the accounts while they investigate.

The problem doesn't end with Eve. The next day I get alerts about log in attempts and password recovery again but now it is for Blizzard. I manage to log in and change my password and think everything is fine. I'm concerned about these attacks moving on to my credit cards and banking. I changed all of my credit cards and banking passwords just in case.

I go on vacation Wednesday with family to the Cape and that night my Blizzard account is once again hacked. I receive an email saying the password has been successfully changed but I didn't do it.

I wake up this morning to see an email from Amazon but it is in German. I would normally not look at emails that seem like they could be a problem. I click on it anyway and the only word I can make out in it is "password" in English.

I have no idea what to do about this. I plan to get a new email account when I return from vacation.

I was hoping some of you that are skilled with computer related stuff might know what is going on here and help me fix this. The only thing I can think of is that email is the one constant here with all these attempts. The only other thing I can think of is maybe my router is compromised.

Thank you for any help you may be able to send my way.

You using the same PW for the accounts?
The same email?

What's the common link between them? Even if it's "all accessed from the same computer". If you're really worried, you could format and reinstall windows. Barring that I'd run a few malware / spyware programs and let them do a deep clean. Malwarebytes, MS Security Essentials are still free, iirc.

I'd also suggest changing ALL of your important passwords, and not from that computer.

Also, don't most important (games, banks, etc) have 2 factor authentication available? If so, you should use them.

I have had several accounts hacked recently. It began earlier this week with 3 of my Eve Online accounts all being hacked. I received email alerts about log in attempts and password recovery requests. I logged into all of my accounts and noticed a lot of stuff missing with all of it sold on the games market. I am out about 40 billion+ in isk ( in game currency). I haven't played this game in a while but plan to return at sometime. I contacted Eve support and they have locked the accounts while they investigate.

The problem doesn't end with Eve. The next day I get alerts about log in attempts and password recovery again but now it is for Blizzard. I manage to log in and change my password and think everything is fine. I'm concerned about these attacks moving on to my credit cards and banking. I changed all of my credit cards and banking passwords just in case.

I go on vacation Wednesday with family to the Cape and that night my Blizzard account is once again hacked. I receive an email saying the password has been successfully changed but I didn't do it.

I wake up this morning to see an email from Amazon but it is in German. I would normally not look at emails that seem like they could be a problem. I click on it anyway and the only word I can make out in it is "password" in English.

I have no idea what to do about this. I plan to get a new email account when I return from vacation.

I was hoping some of you that are skilled with computer related stuff might know what is going on here and help me fix this. The only thing I can think of is that email is the one constant here with all these attempts. The only other thing I can think of is maybe my router is compromised.

I would highly, highly recommend subscribing to a credit monitoring service like lifelock. Everyone should as data security fiascos are going to persist forever.

If you have a keylogger or malware running on your PC, then it's a likely common source for the issue. maybe run a scan.

Also randomize all of your passwords, don't use PasswordNES, Password eve, passwordBlizzard, etc.

Use something like f@cKuH@k3r$

Thank you everyone for your quick replies. I failed to mention that I do run McAfee virus protection and Malwarebytes. I ran several scans on both. There were no problems with virus scan but Malwarebytes picked up a dozen issues and quarantined them. I still had attacks after this.

Also be aware of what is called phishing. That email in German claiming to be from Amazon almost definitely was not from Amazon. It is very common to make an email look official, send you to a fake site where you are prompted to login, and now the attacker has your password because you just gave it to them. You need to very closely look at the URL in the browser's address bar any time you follow a link from email.

You using the same PW for the accounts?
The same email?

What's the common link between them? Even if it's "all accessed from the same computer". If you're really worried, you could format and reinstall windows. Barring that I'd run a few malware / spyware programs and let them do a deep clean. Malwarebytes, MS Security Essentials are still free, iirc.

I'd also suggest changing ALL of your important passwords, and not from that computer.

Also, don't most important (games, banks, etc) have 2 factor authentication available? If so, you should use them.

I am not using the same password for each account. They are all different and they are what I would consider strong passwords with upper and lower case letters with numbers and symbols used as well.

The common thing between them is the same computer and the same email address.

I ran the scans with Malwarebytes. It quarantined a dozen issues but still had problems after this.

I will do your other suggestions when I get back home.

Thank you.

Look at one of the Dark Web scanners to see if your email address is there. experian does it free on a trial, I think.

We use Dark Web ID to do those searches for clients. It's scary, we actually had a former developer sign up for some shitbird linux site with her email address as the user account and one of our (at that time) admin passwords pop up - tied to one of our domains.

A real pucker moment right there if you do cybersecurity. You have to change passwords and 2FA isn't going away

I have had several accounts hacked recently. It began earlier this week with 3 of my Eve Online accounts all being hacked. I received email alerts about log in attempts and password recovery requests. I logged into all of my accounts and noticed a lot of stuff missing with all of it sold on the games market

As another eve player- EVE is autist savant levels of shit when it comes to this kind of thing, if your hack comes from there you're in trouble.

Please tell me you haven't been interacting to the emails being sent to you in any way, but rather going to the websites from a regular browser by typing them in, correct?

As another eve player- EVE is autist savant levels of shit when it comes to this kind of thing, if your hack comes from there you're in trouble.

Please tell me you haven't been interacting to the emails being sent to you in any way, but rather going to the websites from a regular browser by typing them in, correct?

I haven't interacted with them but I have gone to the Eve website to change passwords and submit a ticket describing what has happened. I haven't received a reply but when I try to log onto my accounts it says the account is locked by admin or something to that effect.

Look at one of the Dark Web scanners to see if your email address is there. experian does it free on a trial, I think.

We use Dark Web ID to do those searches for clients. It's scary, we actually had a former developer sign up for some shitbird linux site with her email address as the user account and one of our (at that time) admin passwords pop up - tied to one of our domains.

A real pucker moment right there if you do cybersecurity. You have to change passwords and 2FA isn't going away

These are something of a misnomer. They don't 'scan the dark web', what they really do is just query a database someone downloaded off Pirate Bay, or one of a dozen other hosting sites that someone posted the data files (that may or may not have come from the deep web) to. Don't be impressed by this, it's not nearly as impressive as it sounds. I downloaded the "big" Ashley Madison leak files years ago and they're easily searchable with a very little SQL knowledge. Getting to the deep web, and / or the dark web is quite simple these days, but you can't just "search" it via something like Google. But that's a topic for another thread.

You done f***ed up, somewhere. Back up disks, but wipe every OS you have. Reload from scratch.

Reset and TWO FACTOR EVERYTHING, too. Banking, paypal, gaming accounts, whatever. It should all TWO FACTOR through your phone. (which I hope you've backed up and wiped already).

If something like that happened to me I'd be on the horn with the 3 major credit reporting agencies too, to lock all my shit down.

-Mike

Eve online? Isn't that the online adult-toy vendor?

And to add to what Mike said above:

iu

Unhacked since 1639...

I don't do any banking or credit card related stuff with my phone. I only check emails, text and surf the net. Do I still need to wipe my phone anyway?

I don't do any banking or credit card related stuff with my phone. I only check emails, text and surf the net. Do I still need to wipe my phone anyway?

I guess you have to evaluate risks, dunno what phone you have or how its connected.

Particularly if you don't know how the hell this happened.

It's different if its like "oh yeah, f***, I clicked on the weird link in the email on my main pc to try to contact that nigerian prince, thats when this started to happen. "

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom