IUE-CWA ready to walk

Tommy Gun

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
123   0   1
I work for GE Aviation in Lynn and our contract is up at midnight tonight.

Negotiations broke off on Thursday but there back at it, as far as I know.

The place is a mess but still here and Lynn is the largest Union remaining. They prepared us and have already authorized a Strike. I’ve never really cared one way or another for Unions but now I’m stuck in the middle.

I’m at a point in my life that if we strike it will only be a nuisance but the folks living week to week are screwed.

Attachments

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
What do you guys want? Money, if I’m reading the signs right?

Sucks to have to live through but that seems to be part of the deal with unions. You get bargaining power, and this is the price of exercising it.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Good Luck, you are going to need it.

GE has been screwing the retirees for years....

I worked across the street for a while, back in the mid 90's... and IIRC there was a strike then too.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work for GE Aviation in Lynn and our contract is up at midnight tonight.

Negotiations broke off on Thursday but there back at it, as far as I know.

The place is a mess but still here and Lynn is the largest Union remaining. They prepared us and have already authorized a Strike. I’ve never really cared one way or another for Unions but now I’m stuck in the middle.

I’m at a point in my life that if we strike it will only be a nuisance but the folks living week to week are screwed.
Sounds like you (personally) will be ok. Best of luck to you.

On the bright side.....at least its June. I'd hate to picket in January. As long as your Bill's are covered, seems like a good time to be hanging outside.

Tommy Gun

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
123   0   1
I went on strike in 86 with this Union and watched as thousands lost their jobs over the next few years. I lasted until 89 and was let go and was rehired 3 years ago.

The Union is trying to protect wages, health insurance and retiree benefits. GE hasn’t given us a decent raise in years. What they gave us was yearly bonuses instead of increasing hourly wages.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
How many union companies need to go bankrupt before people will learn you shouldn't attempt to screw future workers into paying for the current employee's greed?

If you're worth more money, ask for a raise yourself, or find a new employer who will pay it. If no one will pay you more, you were wrong.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Ah the good old days don't miss them at all,retired early at 60 in 2010. Buddy of mine won't listen I keep telling him to get out now he's 65 and wants to hold out till 66 and full Social Security. Thing is he'll lose 5% of his monthly check that will be less than $100.

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good Luck, you are going to need it.

GE has been screwing the retirees for years....

I worked across the street for a while, back in the mid 90's... and IIRC there was a strike then too.
Well, with any union shop that forced the company to carry life time health care coverage and a pension...it was just a matter of time before the company started hemorrhaging money. Look at the big 3 auto makers and the crap they went through.

This is exactly the same thing that will happen to Social Security if something drastic isn't done.

Good luck, man.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Sign #2 should be reversed.

"A fair days work for a fair day's pay." Ummm, do you mean that you're getting a fair day's pay and aren't giving it 100%???? It's freaking backwards!!!

Typical unions. LOL. It's. . . . . not fair. ROFL!!!!!

Not a union fan. But I do know that we've got problems in this country. Labor is getting tight and wages are NOT going up. Strange phenom. Probably due to 8+ years of hiring managers making NO effort to hire piles of people at the 2008 salaries. Now that people are trying to move up for better pay, they are hiring crappier and crappier workers for the same position. At some point, they're going to have to PAY to keep good people. It needs to happen, but it foretells the next recession.

Top Bottom