-It's gone- Mountain House Family-Sized Freeze Dried Meal 9-Pack $79.99

We get this http://www.amazon.com/Maruchan-Inst...d=1422764380&sr=8-4&keywords=maruchan+instant in Walmart in a box that has 12 packages for less than 3$. One pack is good for two people. Just add water and other stuff if you wish. Each packet comes with a flavor packet. My wife puts it in the home made soup she makes. We think that it is pretty good stuff. When we went antelope hunting in Wyoming it was great with a pot on top of our small burner to heat the water in the middle of no where.

It is freeze dried ( I think ) and lasts for years.It comes out to less than 3$ for 24 meals.

http://www.amazon.com/Maruchan-Inst...d=1422764380&sr=8-4&keywords=maruchan+instant

Last edited:
Was it really $80, cause that's really expensive isn't it?

I have bought the classic bucket for around $50 when it goes on sale. I know it'll only last a day or so when SHTF but it's easy to store.

Those ramen noodles are so unhealthy you'll turn yourself into a zombie.

Was it really $80, cause that's really expensive isn't it?

I have bought the classic bucket for around $50 when it goes on sale. I know it'll only last a day or so when SHTF but it's easy to store.

Those ramen noodles are so unhealthy you'll turn yourself into a zombie.

Yup $80, they were the family size bags(5 servings per) so in theory 45 servings as opposed to the classic bucket 29 servings.

I know we're talking emergency food that you'd store for shtf purposes but, good gosh, check the nutrition label. Those soups have well over 1100 mg of salt. Average intake for a healthy human for the day is about 2500 mg of salt. The bottom line is that eating these will really dehydrate you because that salt is hydroscopic and will make you thirsty all day long.

I really think food items like this are fantastic overall. I've got them in my own stash but for the life of me I don't understand why the manufacturers need to load these things up with wild amounts of salt like they do. It's just not healthy for you, period, and believe me I'm no health nut but I do watch my blood pressure. This noodle concoction would taste just fine with less than 1/2 the salt. Just keep that in mind. During a SHTF situation, taking in enough carbs to keep moving and staying warm will be important. Excess salt isn't.

Rome

best thing is to avoid stuff that requires a ton of water to prepare.. heck never know when water becomes scares

Well that's the benefit of living in the northeast, we've got heaps of water just laying about(so long as you don't live in/just outside the cities) although sometimes you just need to look a little harder. I've probably got more water around me than I could ever use for the rest of my life, even if I don't tap into the lakes, rivers, and streams(providing others that know keep their mouths shut).

I know we're talking emergency food that you'd store for shtf purposes but, good gosh, check the nutrition label. Those soups have well over 1100 mg of salt. Average intake for a healthy human for the day is about 2500 mg of salt. The bottom line is that eating these will really dehydrate you because that salt is hydroscopic and will make you thirsty all day long.

I really think food items like this are fantastic overall. I've got them in my own stash but for the life of me I don't understand why the manufacturers need to load these things up with wild amounts of salt like they do. It's just not healthy for you, period, and believe me I'm no health nut but I do watch my blood pressure. This noodle concoction would taste just fine with less than 1/2 the salt. Just keep that in mind. During a SHTF situation, taking in enough carbs to keep moving and staying warm will be important. Excess salt isn't.

Rome

Yup, when I had my first apartment I ate a lot of Ramen and I can't stand it now(in a pinch that would be different). [puke2]Although if something did happen I imagine I'd be doing a lot more physically than I do now so I'd have to replenish that lost sodium somehow.

BTW, it's back.

http://www.woot.com/offers/mountain-house-freeze-dried-meal-9pk-11?ref=cnt_wp_1_2

Back
Top Bottom