• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

It's almost like NH WANTS me to have a gun!

So I applied for my non-resident pistol/revolver permit for NH, and got a quick response. About 10 days after putting my paperwork in the mail, I got a rather plain looking envelope containing my license. Awesome, a very quick turnaround and without much hassle (Other than the 100 bones [angry2]).

Now, about a week or two later, I get ANOTHER envelope with ANOTHER license in it. Are they running some BOGO special on licenses I was unaware of? Can I give one to a friend? Do I get another try if I cause an incident with my first license? Do I have to carry two guns?

Seriously though, is this normal? Both of the permit #'s are the same. Should I contact someone about this or just not worry about it?

Except it's NH and you don't really need either card anyway? Throw them in your safe and forget about them? The only use I have for mine is to remind me when to renew.

Does this out of state license allow you to purchase rifles and pistols in the state of NH (assuming you will obviously comply with fed law and not cross over into your home state.) in say like you had a vacation home in NH to keep them locked up safe.

Thanks

Does this out of state license allow you to purchase rifles and pistols in the state of NH (assuming you will obviously comply with fed law and not cross over into your home state.) in say like you had a vacation home in NH to keep them locked up safe.

Thanks

Non-resident purchases have only been covered here a couple of times a month since... oh, forever.

Short version, this license lets you do exactly two things: 1) Carry a handgun that is loaded and concealed; and, 2) Carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle.

No license is needed for anything else in NH, so that's all it covers.

You can already buy a rifle or shotgun in NH. You can only buy a handgun in your state of residence. If you have a vacation home in NH, you're legally a NH resident for that portion of time when you are in and intend to remain in NH, even if you will return to another state in the future. Without NH resident ID card, you will have to provide alternative residency documents that satisfy the dealer and ATF.

Taking anything you buy in NH back to your other state of residence is a matter of that state's law.

So I applied for my non-resident pistol/revolver permit for NH, and got a quick response. About 10 days after putting my paperwork in the mail, I got a rather plain looking envelope containing my license. Awesome, a very quick turnaround and without much hassle (Other than the 100 bones [angry2]).

Now, about a week or two later, I get ANOTHER envelope with ANOTHER license in it. Are they running some BOGO special on licenses I was unaware of? Can I give one to a friend? Do I get another try if I cause an incident with my first license? Do I have to carry two guns?

Seriously though, is this normal? Both of the permit #'s are the same. Should I contact someone about this or just not worry about it?

No, it's not normal, but it is convient.

Fold one up in quarters and keep it in your wallet.
Take the other one and put it in your safe.

That way, you always have one with you and you have a spare that's safe from damage.

Ten days for me as well from in the mail to them until it was in my mailbox. Sooo refreshing.

No, it's not normal, but it is convenient.

Fold one up in quarters and keep it in your wallet.
Take the other one and put it in your safe.

That way, you always have one with you and you have a spare that's safe from damage.
Fold one up in quarters? [rofl]
I gather you haven't had a non-resident NH permit. One of the benefits of paying the hundred bucks is that you get an actual plastic card, not that rice paper receipt given to residents.
b5fhfm.jpg

I gather you haven't had a non-resident NH permit. One of the benefits of paying the hundred bucks is that you get an actual plastic card, not that rice paper receipt given to residents.
b5fhfm.jpg

Yeah, I read his post and tried to fold my card into quarters... I'm glad they gave me two.

b5fhfm.jpg

Nope, I've never qualified for a non-resident Revolver & Pistol permit.

Except it's NH and you don't really need either card anyway? Throw them in your safe and forget about them? The only use I have for mine is to remind me when to renew.

If you want to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle and you want to carry concealed, it's probably a good idea to carry it on you. There are those who say you don't have to have it on your person as long as you have it, but why have a hassle when you don't need one, if something comes up? [wink]

Last edited:
My non-res NH permit came pretty quickly. Quicker than 2 out of the 3 LTC applications I've done since turning 21 at least.

I love it up there. I need to consider moving some day. My problem is I love the Cape too damn much. Can we just break the Cape off and float it north? That'd be cool.

Back
Top Bottom