• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!!!!!!!

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/11/04/anwr.drilling.ap/index.html

I can hear the tree huggers crying.

The only down side is we should have started this years ago.

But no oil is likely to flow from ANWR for 10 years and peak production of about 1 million barrels a day isn't expected until about 2025, according to the Energy Department. Currently, the United States used about 20 million barrels of oil a day.

Bush and other drilling advocates argue that the country needs the estimated 10.5 billion barrels of oil that are believed to lie beneath the refuges coastal tundra in northeastern Alaska and slow the growing dependence on oil imports. The United States now uses about 7.3 billion barrels of oil a year.

I am definitely for this, get our oil dependance away from the middle east, but does this quote mean there is only enough oil to last the U.S. about 16 months?

I'm not sure if that was an estimated annual production or total oil.

I did read a report that the cost per barrel would go down to the low 40's

Good stuff!
I'm glad we are taking these steps... And the area that will be effected is tiny in comparison to the total land that is protected..

Adam

Don't be ajumping for joy yet. Remember the 70's and tha Alaska pipeline. The oil companies staged a shortage so they could justify the pipeline, which they got and then sold every drop to Japan.

Don't bet on us seeing much of whatever comes out of ANWAR. Remember the oil co's sell wherever they get the most money which is generally overseas.

Didja know that they can get more $ for imported oil than domestic? They commonly put oil in tankers, drive outside the US boundaries and bring it back, turning it into imported oil.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Color me sceptical.

They already passed a bill to prevent exporting that oil. It all has to be sold in the U.S.

derek said:
They already passed a bill to prevent exporting that oil. It all has to be sold in the U.S.

If that's so, great ! I can't imagine how congress would go along with it.

But that's why it'll take so long to get it. If it was going overseas, it'd be in a pipeline by the end of the year !

As you can tell, I have no love for oil company greed.

Also, I'm glad that it's here on US soil where our strong environmental laws can watch over the wells.

Frankly I think it's a damn good idea. The drilling will only be in a small part of the refuge, and just LOOK at it! That's a photo in JULY!

In December that place must look like the friggin MOON!

I'm a biologist, so I know that this will change things and effect things, but I see the crazyness being done on George's bank fishery. People want to preserve it, but also still take the fish that drives a large section of out economy. The big problem, how I see it, is both places are PLAGUED with "Armchair Ecologists" who simply read books, and preach Feel-Good policies, but never get thier hands dirty and actully LOOK at the bottom line.

-Weer'd Beard

Unless the institute price controls (which gave those of us old enough to be commuting to work those wonderful mile long lines at the pumps and stations out of gas back in the 70's) it won't make a iota's difference whether they export it or not, since they're not going to sell it here for less than they could get somewhere else. Since everybody want's to jump on the oil companies, why not go after the real price gougers -- government. The Feds and states have seen their gas tax and gas sales tax revenues increase more than 5 times as much as have oil company profits. That's from a base that's already several times as much as the profits of the oil companies. I've heard a lot of pols screaming for confiscation of oil company profits, but none who have seriously suggested that they cut their taxes to help us out.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom