• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

It's 2022 - anyone still carrying a revolver?

OK:

"regular" hammer?
"bobbed (custom) regular" hammer?
"enclosed" hammer?
"internal" hammer?

And why?

OK:

"regular" hammer?
"enclosed" hammer?
"internal" hammer?

And why?
Depends on...

1. Aesthetics. Exposed hammer looks great, the rest? Not so much.
2. Snag. Exposed hammer is likely to catch your shirt when you draw, the rest? Not so much.
3. Manual of arms. Exposed hammer lets you shoot single-action, the rest? Not so much.

The bobbed hammer is just a normal one with the spur hacksawed off. The enclosed hammer is an exposed OR bobbed hammer with a "shroud" attached over it to eliminate snag. Some of these shrouds let you shoot SA. Internal hammer takes the shroud concept and incorporates it into the frame machining.

OK:

"regular" hammer?
"enclosed" hammer?
"internal" hammer?

And why?
In general i like the internal for CC as it doesn't snag on anything or print if in my trouser pocket.
With my S&W i can feel the point where the cylinder locks up and before the hammer drops. At this point it's like shooting SA. In general I prefer hammers on my revolvers. I have an SP101 Ruger with a hammer and id prefer the Ruger at the range for plinking but the S&W gets carried much more often

S&W 340 sometimes…
My condolences

It hasn't exploded yet? Although at one point have the people I knew had theirs blow up at least once... but it was not repeated I don't know if it's because they kept around countdown or because they were just afraid of shooting it that much after that point....

My condolences

It hasn't exploded yet? Although at one point have the people I knew had theirs blow up at least once... but it was not repeated I don't know if it's because they kept around countdown or because they were just afraid of shooting it that much after that point....
Also… a 629 Backpacker when the mood strikes me… Only major gun failure I’ve ever had was a cracked frame on a Star Firestar .45…

Do you use speed strips?

How about the new zeta six products? I really like the J Clip. I think the J Pak might be nice too but the clip gets it all done in one shot.

They’re slimmer in the pocket than the normal HKS speed loader and without the locking post hanging out they’re way easier to carry.
Inexpensive to boot!

Man, those things are amazing. Been using speed strips for years. They sit nice and flat in a pocket but I have to practice with them all the time to stay even mildly proficient with them.

Here’s my addition to the thread. It’s a rare occasion for me to carry anything else. Perfect in a Desantis Nemesis.

318DFAA3-F30E-466A-91C1-A997AA0A6F3F.jpeg

This thread has nowhere near enough pics. Here's the J frames I currently carry.
  • 438 Airweight Bodyguard, typically loaded with .38+P 110gr Hornady Critical Defense though occasionally other rounds, such as Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman .38+P 158gr hard cast flat nose; custom dovetail for front sight by Dave Santurri, S&W Bodyguard .380 Truglo Pro tritium front sight, Apex Tactical Duty/Carry spring & firing pin kit
  • 317 2" (non-kit gun) AirLite, with 8rd of Federal Punch .22LR (this meets FBI gel test standards...29gr and >1k FPS in a 2" bbl), same custom sight setup as the 438, Wilson Combat 9lb hammer spring and 13lb trigger rebound spring
  • 43C AirLite, XS Standard Dot tritium front sight, Wolff springs - same weights as the 317, same ammo
  • 351C AirLite, 7rd of Hornady Critical Defense .22WMR, also a 9lb hammer spring but a 14lb rebound spring, same sight as 43C
The wood grips are all by Altamont. From left to right - rosewood, silverblack, and walnut.

20221002_191903.jpg

Man, those things are amazing. Been using speed strips for years. They sit nice and flat in a pocket but I have to practice with them all the time to stay even mildly proficient with them.

Here’s my addition to the thread. It’s a rare occasion for me to carry anything else. Perfect in a Desantis Nemesis.

View attachment 668407
Nice, but I'd want something more "subtle", that blends in better. That's why I liked that desert sand LCR.

8rd of Federal Punch .22LR (this meets FBI gel test standards...29gr and >1k FPS in a 2" bbl)
How is this different than hollow point hunting .22LR ammo?

I like the Fed Punch in my LCP II. Groups tight.

Athough I generally carry a semi auto, I carry revolvers from time to time depending on the situation. Lately it has been daily. The revolvers I carry are an airweight J frame 38+p, a 3" model 60 in 357, a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt, and a colt SAA in 45 Colt.

my only gripe with a J Frame revolver vs a striker fired polymer pistol...... lets say for the sake of discussion a 1980's era Model 60 vs a current era Glock 43X is the trigger pull on the revolver vs the semi auto.

Don't get me wrong, I carried either a J frame or K frame for the first 10 years of my owning guns, but it is a lot easier to fire off a Glock vs a S&W revolver.

Advantages of a revolver, as someone mentioned above, is also you are not leaving brass behind, and I have never had to "tap rack and roll" a revolver.

I did have a Model 13 that did not like aluminum cased Blazer ammo.... I had to beat the ejector rod on the bench to get the spent cases out... they expanded and would not come out without force.... that is what I got for cheaping out on range ammo 40 years ago.

If I were to carry a J frame it would be with Pachmayer grips or a Tyler T grip , 5 in the gun, with 3 speed strips in my pocket, and shoot single action...

I would like a revolver with a threaded barrel.

If the intention is to use a silencer, revolvers generally aren't going to be conducive to suppressing. The gas escapes in the gap between the cylinder and the barrel. Otherwise, that would be awesome and super 007 style assasin gun cool to have a revolver with a silencer on it.

If the intention is to use a silencer, revolvers generally aren't going to be conducive to suppressing. The gas escapes in the gap between the cylinder and the barrel. Otherwise, that would be awesome and super 007 style assasin gun cool to have a revolver with a silencer on it.

Yeah, I’m aware of all that. Still, would be fun.

I still want to find a clean 4" Model 19. It would be a safe queen for nostalgia factor. That is what we were issued when I was on embassy duty. That and a 14" 870.

one of my holy grail guns was a 4" model 13.... a member here had a BNIB probably never fired one he bought circa 1982.....

Blends in better with what? It sits in my pocket. If it comes out other than to be put away in the safe, then blending in no longer matters.
True enough, I guess. But in that case, what use is a "fancy" grip like that? For the record, I think it looks pretty nice.

True enough, I guess. But in that case, what use is a "fancy" grip like that? For the record, I think it looks pretty nice.

It was the least gaudy looking one that provided a better grip purchase that wasn’t sticky rubber. The other options were bright green, blue, orange or red, all mixed with the black. So I went with this one. It turned a gun that I didn’t care to shoot with the factory grip to one I had full control over and was able to achieve much better accuracy. I don’t shoot it much, 15-20 rounds each range trip, but it keeps me current with it and lets me practice reloads with the speed strips.

Last edited:
I've found that very few EDC revolver guys shoot them regularly enough to properly break them in and use-polish the sear/trigger smoothness out as well as the springs becoming 'seasoned'. I believe the phrase is something like "Carried a lot; shot very little".

I shoot my J-frame 2 or 3 times a month; usually a 50-round box of .38 spl's and finish with the +P carry ammo that was in the gun before range time. This keeps the
carry ammo fresh and muscle memory suitable for my needs.

If you do not shoot it regularly... it is not a good gun for you.

Back
Top Bottom