• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ithaca 37 government

jbagni

NES Member
I recently purchased an Ithaca 37 that has "US Property" stamped on the receiver. It is in the trench gun configuration. The story goes that the guy who owned it was a military collector and said it was an 80s prototype military shotgun. It is completely parkarized. The serial number is 3713690XX. It also has a three letter designation stamped into the side of it "LSP". Not sure if anyone knows anything about this but sure would like to know more about it. I've included a few photos. This gun has never been fired.

Attachments

• tempImage2SZacY.png
    tempImage2SZacY.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
  • tempImageTjtzRS.png
    tempImageTjtzRS.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
  • tempImageJOhbTA.png
    tempImageJOhbTA.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
That is what I did. The gun cost was reasonable as it stands. It's the serial number that is causing me confusion. It just does not line up with the 80s. It is a 1974 from what I can tell. I guess I should just throw the story away and start from scratch. The bayonet lug is weird too. I think it's missing a part. Another project for me to tackle! Just what I needed!

Ithaca is back in business , I don’t know how much they are affiliated with the old company. It might be worth a phone call or email to them.
You could also seek out a Ithaca owners forum. There are dozens of variations of the Model 37 and I’m sure there are knowledgeable collectors.
Im a big fan of model 37’s I own 4 of them.
Please keep us posted.

Last edited:
For the one I am thinking it should be in the in the 980.000 range have an S in the serial number and the lug should fit an early m16 bayonet.
I am still thinking it just might not be a fake,and just be a left over that was sent to a prison.I remember at BRINKS we had some old shotguns
with the US property marks on them, but they all did have the P stamp.It's still a nice looking shotgun congrats on thee find.

Back
Top Bottom