ITAR changes: Control of Firearms, Guns, Ammunition and Related Articles the President Determines No Longer Warrant Control under the USML

So it appears the "Final Rule" for the changes proposed a year ago is finally headed for the Federal Register. See "ITAR Firearms Regulations Significantly Lessened" or google "Docket No. 191107-0079". Basically this moves most export/import control of "arms" from International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) to instead being controlled by the Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security's (BIS) under the Export Administration Regulations (EAR)

GU said:
The move from ITAR does not change any significant gun control laws in America. And, firearms are still regulated for exports. However, instead of dealing with the ITAR rules and State Dept licensing, the firearms industry will be able to use the more efficient export system through the Department of Commerce for most firearms.

Good news for current/prospective FFL/SOT folk, once this is effective they will rarely if ever have a need for the $2,250 annual ITAR registration.

Last edited:
Never going to happen. US manufacturers don't want it to, same with Chinese.

Can you imagine the s*it Springfield Armory would drop if the US market started getting flooded with Norinco M14s for $500?
You think US manufacturers of arms actually have lobbying strength? If I'm reading my history correctly, Bush Senior banned the import by executive orders, so another president can simply reverse the ban with a stroke of a pen.

You think US manufacturers of arms actually have lobbying strength? If I'm reading my history correctly, Bush Senior banned the import by executive orders, so another president can simply reverse the ban with a stroke of a pen.

More lobbying strength than Joe Everyman saying "we want Chinese and Russian guns"? Yes, I do. I think if Trump implied he was going to do it, the Rugers/Springfields/S&Ws of the world would "advise him" not to do so through various mechanisms.

Very few companies openly invite competition in their market space.

Then there's the angle that the left would put on it, but that's a different matter (remember Kamala and her "banning AR-15 imports" thing).

If you recall we had a thread on here claim that "in the first 100 days of his administration" Trump would stop the import bans, have CCW reciprocity passed, de-NFA silencers, eliminate AWBs, erase mag limits, etc., etc.

Some of those would be impossible or challenging. Some of them he would have the power to do. Instead, not much has been done except largely holding the course, the banning of bumpstocks, red flag law threats, etc.

There were "We the People" petitions on whitehouse.gov with hundreds of thousands of signatures calling for some of these measures, and to my knowledge the president did not give any kind of response at all.

Better than Hillary? Of course. But I don't think the concerns of the average 2A supporter means that much to him, unless it's something really core or foundational (and import bans are not a "circle the wagons" kind of issue).

LOL. I said 'another president can', didn't say Trump would do it. I would bet that 'protecting the domestic firearms industry' was nowhere near the stated purpose for the Bush import ban, and saying that import will kill the domestic industry doesn't stand logical scrutiny either (not to say whining wouldn't work).

So if I can lobby Polytech to set up a factory in TN or TX and start selling yummy Legend underfolders for $1,299 a piece and create jobs in America, would it work?

So if I can lobby Polytech to set up a factory in TN or TX and start selling yummy Legend underfolders for $1,299 a piece and create jobs in America, would it work?
If you do this, you'll earn your spot on the NES Mt. Rushmore! You'd get my support.

I agree Trump can but I also say there is near nil chance he would. And I think the Bush ban was "for the children." Just wait until Moms Demand and Bloomberg pump out ads, "President Trump eliminated a ban of the import of evil foreign rifles that even George Bush implemented..."

Last edited:
LOL. I said 'another president can', didn't say Trump would do it. I would bet that 'protecting the domestic firearms industry' was nowhere near the stated purpose for the Bush import ban, and saying that import will kill the domestic industry doesn't stand logical scrutiny either (not to say whining wouldn't work).

Your money is still ending up in the hands of a Chinese company, even if indirectly. They won’t let us into their country and access their cheap labor without having to partner with a domestic entity and giving access, in some cases unfettered, to our intellectual property. It’s BS they should be able to walk in here without the same hurdles, or as they call, “safeguards.”

Last edited:
Great replies guys... Can I add Ruskie Ammo to my Wish List too...?

Is it possible that he is doing this to make it easier to ban these imports? I’m not fluent in these types of things but think there might be some motive other than support for 2A.

If you do this, you'll earn your spot on the NES Mt. Rushmore! You'd get my support.

I agree Trump can but I also say there is near nil chance he would. And I think the Bush ban was "for the children." Just wait until Moms Demand and Bloomberg pump out ads, "President Trump eliminated a ban of the import of evil foreign rifles that even George Bush implemented..."
After he's elected for his second term, why would he care [smile] The second term is when a President does all the fun stuff that would cost him an election otherwise.

After he's elected for his second term, why would he care [smile] The second term is when a President does all the fun stuff that would cost him an election otherwise.
I just don't think 2A's on his radar. If I recall, during his NH speech in 2019 he talked about support for a red flag law and he got booed. He largely avoided the topic entirely after that if memory serves.

I have a feeling it's not a priority at all for him either way and if he's re-elected he will try to craft his legacy largely on other matters.

Yes, they do at some level. Bush Sr's import ban (as well as the little clinton ticky tack add ons) stand because the big gun mafia types cajoled the sitting
president into that protectionism game. An EO is a cheaper lobby than getting congress to do it, sure, but it still requires power. The "sell" is also that said president gets to essentially author limited gun control while simultaneously not pissing off industry and jingoservative retard gun owners.

-Mike

Stated and actual purpose are two different things. When this crap was first pushed about in the 80s and 90s the industry was a lot smaller. Think about companies like Colt which were owned by people like Donald Zilkha (ironically, a democrat anti clinton klingon type that loved making money off defense contracts) who were basically turncoat opportunistic motherf***ers. Facing facts, and it even applies today..... import ban (and the later ATF barrel bans etc) have caused the price of things like AK to be wholly inflated compared to what they should be. You should be able to buy a WASR-10 for like $300 or less. It's like 7 or 800 now because of government BS that is basically directly downstream of the import ban.

Companies like Colt, Springfield, bunch of others love that shit, because they think it levels the playing field. They will never admit it but people from Colt, Ruger, Springfield, etc, were likely all in the smoke filled room where some lobbyist/attorney type came up with that idea.

And trump is "doing it"- he's probably the sitting president LEAST likely to ever think about rescinding this ban. This brand of protectionist bullshit is something he probably pleasures himself over every night before he goes to sleep. Anything else good/bad/otherwise aside, anyone who doesn't think this is the most protectionist US president in recent history is, well, sort of a nipplehead. [laugh]

-Mike

I just don't think 2A's on his radar. If I recall, during his NH speech in 2019 he talked about support for a red flag law and he got booed. He largely avoided the topic entirely after that if memory serves.

I have a feeling it's not a priority at all for him either way and if he's re-elected he will try to craft his legacy largely on other matters.

Of course it's not a priority. Just like a lot of things, there are way bigger fish to deal with on the national level. Our schools are failing, our infrastructure is failing, our military is beat to hell from 20 years of war, I could go on and on and on.

I'd just like to see suppressors dropped from the NFA. That would be a yuge win. I'd like 'title 3' guns off as well, but let's be realistic.

From back in July. Looks like Democrats found a way around 3D-printed firearm files being removed from the U.S. Munitions List.

U.S. BUREAU OF INDUSTRY AND SECURITY IMPOSES ‘EAR’ RESTRICTIONS ON 3D PRINTED GUNS
The U.S. Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) has announced a transfer in jurisdiction over certain technologies that could be used to 3D print firearms.

Earlier this year, the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals issued a preliminary injunction that removed such technologies from the U.S. Munitions List (USML) and made them exempt from International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).

In response, the BIS has now declared that anyone engaged in manufacturing, exporting or ‘furnishing’ 3D printed firearms, are subject to Export Administration Regulations (EAR) instead. To help those currently in possession of the software and machinery needed to produce these munitions stay compliant, the bureau has therefore issued a detailed FAQ, which it “strongly encourages” them to read.
FAQs for the Commerce Categories I-III (final rule)
Control of Firearms, Guns, Ammunition and Related
Articles the President Determines No Longer
Warrant Control Under the United States Munitions
List (USML)(85 FR 4136)1

Back
Top Bottom