Italian Sausage recipes...

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Well, I'm gonna try to do this. For the holidays I always make meatballs and the family inhales them.

When I did a quick survey of the family on sausage I got mixed reviews. Many didn't trust store bought sausage. Some hated the hard, crunchy surprises that often greet you when eating one from the store. So I asked if they'd try it if I made them from scratch.

I have an electrical grinder. I bought a boneless pork butt. But now I wonder if the Emeril Lagasse fanboys here on NES have done so and have any recipes they can share?

I'd appreciate any and all ideas. Probably sweet sausage to start. I know how to kick it up a notch if needed...

Thank you,

Rich

June4th

NES Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I made my own Chinese sausages and they were much better than store stuff. Find a highly reviewed recipe on Allrecipe.com and go with it. Your own stuff will taste better simply because of better ingredients.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't speak for Italian - last sausages I made (and I'm overdue to make more):

Duck Breakfast Sausages

3 ½ lbs raw duck meat (leg is good but a lot of work), diced to fit in grinder

1 ½ lbs raw pork belly, rind removed, diced to fit in grinder

1 ½ oz kosher salt

5 T peeled and grated fresh ginger

5T finely chopped fresh sage (tightly packed)

1T minced garlic

2 tsp ground white pepper

Zest of 1-2 oranges (finely grated)

1 c. ice water (or cold red wine or orange juice)

Combine all ingredients except liquid and toss to coat the meat; chill.

Grind through small die into bowl set in ice.

Add liquid and mix until incorporated and uniform.

(Check seasoning by cooking a bit, correct if needed.)

Stuff into sheep casings, twisting into links. Refrigerate until ready to cook, or freeze.

Cook to internal temp of 150F.

(Inspiration from Ruhlman and Polcyn’s Charcuterie)

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Chinese sausages, huh?

Reminds me of an old story. An elderly Jewish man was wondering if Judaism was practice at all in China. While at a Chinese restaurant he asked the waiter if they had any Chinese Jews?

The waiter looks puzzled and in broken English says he needs to ask chef. He scurries back to the kitchen and back again.

He looks at the old Jewish guy and says, "We have apple juice, orange juice, grape juice and pineapple juice, but no Chinese juice".

:)

I made my own Chinese sausages and they were much better than store stuff. Find a highly reviewed recipe on Allrecipe.com and go with it. Your own stuff will taste better simply because of better ingredients.

M60

NES Member
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Well, I'm gonna try to do this. For the holidays I always make meatballs and the family inhales them.

When I did a quick survey of the family on sausage I got mixed reviews. Many didn't trust store bought sausage. Some hated the hard, crunchy surprises that often greet you when eating one from the store. So I asked if they'd try it if I made them from scratch.

I have an electrical grinder. I bought a boneless pork butt. But now I wonder if the Emeril Lagasse fanboys here on NES have done so and have any recipes they can share?

I'd appreciate any and all ideas. Probably sweet sausage to start. I know how to kick it up a notch if needed...

Thank you,

Rich
Just leave out the nasty tasting black seeds.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love the seeds! Especially the fennel. I thought this was going to be a hunting thread talking about boar or venison or bear sausage.

I think my father made some with his Italian friend once.

I like to get mine at John and Son in Worcester, or Leroux in Holden. I'm sure there are other ones around as well. Also like the kielbasa from Webster or Chicopee. I hear they have it in or near Ware also. P.S. How is kielbasa (or is it kielbasi?) different than sausage?

Knob Creek

NES Member
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I like Davio's in the frozen section at MB. BTW, Market Basket also has the casings if you want to roll your own. I've made them in the past. For me so as to cut back on fat ratio I've used pork loin instead of pork butt.

snowballs

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Italian Kitchen market side in Brockton. their sausages (amazing), meatballs, bracciole, sauce (gravy), bread, everything they sell is very good. While you're there go to the restaurant side for the stuffed veal roast sandwich. And don't listen to the afraid of Brockton crowd. Trust most have never set foot in town.

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Et tu, Paul?

Why hunt for game when you can go to the supermarket? Why make ammo when you can buy it in so many places? Why cook when you can eat at a restaurant?

This is a challenge. This is an exploration of the process and ingredients. It's a test of my intellect and imagination. It's about trying something new and different. Yes, I may fail. Or I may succeed beyond my wildest imagination. But I'll only know if I try.

So many messages and so many naysayers. Where has the NES spirit of innovation and exploration?

Has NES jumped the shark?

So many local places with so many good sausages, not sure I'd spend/waste the time trying to do something better.

Michael J. Spangler

NES Member
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Et tu, Paul?

Why hunt for game when you can go to the supermarket? Why make ammo when you can buy it in so many places? Why cook when you can eat at a restaurant?

This is a challenge. This is an exploration of the process and ingredients. It's a test of my intellect and imagination. It's about trying something new and different. Yes, I may fail. Or I may succeed beyond my wildest imagination. But I'll only know if I try.

So many messages and so many naysayers. Where has the NES spirit of innovation and exploration?

Has NES jumped the shark?

Why own a firearm when we have the police to protect us?

make sausage man. It’s fun and rewarding and you can make all kinds of stuff that isn’t worth paying for.
somehow these fancy markets think adding $10 of spice to a batch of ground pork makes it worth $10/# instead of the $3/# they’re getting for their breakfast sausage.
no thanks.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with those hard elastin bits in sausage gristle is that sometimes it is unavoidable when you use certain flavorful or traditional cuts for sausage. Make enough of them, and sooner or later a tiny piece will slip by. I think at least knowing what it is helps make people accept it. Elastin and collagen make up most gristle, except for collegen gets soft and even melts away if cooked long enough, but the elastin sticks around. It is completely edible and safe though. People often think it's bone, eyeball, or some other scrap parts which puts them off from the thought. It's mostly connective tissue. But maybe I'm not the best person to ask. I have no fear of food and will happily eat a blood sausage any day (that doesn't entirely come off right).

If going store bought, I love DePasquale's in Newton by Watertown. 325 Watertown Street, Newton. Legit hand made sausages, and you'll immediately know it if you step food in that place (you'll smell like a sausage for the rest of the day).

RumRunner

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
For store bought, have been going to Dom's Sausage in Malden for many many years. Much better than supermarket sausage.

JRT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hey @richc I asked my mother to send me her recipe for Italian sausage. My little Italian mother makes this sausage every year for Christmas. It’s very simple but delicious. She wants me to tell you she cuts up the 20 pounds of pork butt into cubes and then mixes all the spices in a plastic bin. Let sit overnight and grind the next day. Put everything into the stuffer and fill the casings. Cool thing, her stuffer is a beautiful hand crank stuffer from the 1930 that belonged to my grandfather.

Edit: She also said she uses half water half wine now. She adds 1 cup at a time until she like the mix.

6849F833-F31F-47A8-9455-78C4C65FD2C4.jpeg

Last edited:

Michael J. Spangler

NES Member
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Do a lot of research on the method of prep. Technique is more important than seasoning.
There are countless flavors of sausages but the method of prep makes them what they are and determines wether or not they’re good.
Don’t try to cut back the salt either. I did that a few times and the sausage sucked.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Left the Communistwealth for Live Free or Die!
I just made the following with Venison, but you can use any meat... amounts are up to you depending on how much you want to make:

Ground meat
salt
pepper
parprika
fennel seeds
chopped garlic sauteed in olive oil (a few teaspoons)
4 cheese mix shredded- asiago, pecorino, parm and provolone
chopped parsley
red pepper flakes
Broccoli rabe (blanche it, cool it and chop it)

Make sure you mix the spices in just a bit of water prior to mixing... slightly more liquid than a paste. This will ensure it mixes better with the meat.

Mix it all up and case it or leave it loose and you can sautee it and mix the chunks in with pasta.

Brin747

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've tried making my own...I make a pretty decent breakfast sausage, and I love home made chorizo, but for Italian Sausage my method involves driving down to Malden, stopping in to visit my grandmother, then heading over to Dom's to stock up...

Top Bottom