• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Italian hunter dies after suffering fatal bite from boar he shot: report

The hunter's father was reportedly treated at the scene for shock​

An Italian hunter died last week after he was attacked by a wild boar he had just shot that bit him in the leg and severed his femoral artery, according to reports.

Giulio Burattini, 36, was hunting with his father in the Tuscan woods on Jan. 19, the Daily Star reported, citing Italian media. Burattini shot the animal and it fell. He approached the injured boar and it quickly got up and charged at him, the report said. The father, who was treated for shock at the scene, reportedly let out a "desperate cry for help."

"That cry for help and then nothing more," the friend said, according to the paper. Emergency crews could not save Burattini.

In Italy’s rural areas, hunting wild boar is a popular sport and most Italians can offer a long list of their favorite wild boar dishes, including pappardelle pasta with boar sauce and wild boar stew. Italy’s main agriculture lobby, Coldiretti, estimates there are over 2 million wild boars in Italy.

Damn! He suffered King Baratheon’s fate. RIP

My grandfather nearly got killed by a boar on a hunt - knew he couldn't outrun it and couldn't reload in time so he climbed a tree, then reloaded and shot it again. They're dangerous.

My grandfather nearly got killed by a boar on a hunt - knew he couldn't outrun it and couldn't reload in time so he climbed a tree, then reloaded and shot it again. They're dangerous.
I've mentioned this before on another thread but I had a friend hunting in Georgia, he stopped to pee and leaned his rifle against a tree when a boar came charging at him and he had to climb a tree. His sidearm was a .357 and he said that boar took 6 shots to the head before it dropped. He learned an important lesson about bringing a heavier caliber sidearm with him the next time he went out. He was a fat guy and if it wasn't serious it would have been funny seeing his fat ass scrambling up a tree.

Ive killed several boars with archery equipment, but would never go hunting without a 357, 10mm, or 44 mag sidearm.

In most cases you shoot them with the bow and they run till they fall if you hit them right. If you run after them and they get tired/sick of running/cornered, then it can be a problem.

Dog is Key.
dog or no dog i did hunt big boars too, i cannot fathom how a human can manage a 300lb alpha boar with a stick or knife at hand distance.
you will have all your guts and lungs on his tusks in 3 seconds.

and then will bleed out of all the raptures on your inner thighs.

dog or no dog i did hunt big boars too, i cannot fathom how a human can manage a 300lb alpha boar with a stick or knife at hand distance.
you will have all your guts and lungs on his tusks in 3 seconds.

and then will bleed out of all the raptures on your inner thighs.

and the hogs will eat you bones and all with nothing left but your tattered clothes

dog or no dog i did hunt big boars too, i cannot fathom how a human can manage a 300lb alpha boar with a stick or knife at hand distance. you will have all your guts and lungs on his tusks in 3 seconds.
Based on that one video,
God help the hunters if the dog latches on to
a pig's ear that infected and barely attached.

Pig's ear is Key.

P. S.

We have them down here in South Central MO...I've not seen one yet but I know they are around.

We have them down here in South Central MO...I've not seen one yet but I know they are around.
there are several kinds of them. we shot some in MO that were up to 200lbs somewhat, wild pigs.
a real thing - a siberian russian boar gets up to 600lbs and more than 6ft long, but such patriarchs usually not allowed to be shot down by the yeagers overlooking the hunt, and it is rare for them to grow that large anyway.

wanna see what that is? it is like that - and good luck taking _that_ down with a knife.
but even a 300-350lbs ones, a medium size are not a toy game, and, they are not really afraid to attack you when they feel cornered.

1651709298423.png

there are several kinds of them. we shot some in MO that were up to 200lbs somewhat, wild pigs.
a real thing - a siberian russian boar gets up to 600lbs and more than 6ft long, but such patriarchs usually not allowed to be shot down by the yeagers overlooking the hunt, and it is rare for them to grow that large anyway.

wanna see what that is? it is like that - and good luck taking _that_ down with a knife.
but even a 300-350lbs ones, a medium size are not a toy game, and, they are not really afraid to attack you when they feel cornered.

View attachment 611928
That had to be a a lot of bacon etc..

That had to be a a lot of bacon etc..
big guys like that are not really edible. it is just a waste to kill a patriarch, and really hurts the herd. a total waste.

but you can imagine - that thing is not afraid of anything. it is old, smart, and quite very fast too.

ps. a hungry hunter gang will devour anything, of course, plus if there is enough vodka there. but, like with an old moose meat - there are parasites, and the old big boar is just not too tasty. not to say what effort it is to hang and skin a 600lbs thing.

you can always shoot a 1 yr old sow from that herd or a piglet and enjoy it - instead of choking on an old boar.

the worst thing, of course - if you kill a herd alpha, the chances for a herd to make through the winter are getting greatly reduced. means no hunt next year.

Last edited:
I did. My friend lives in Georgia now with his wife after they retired. I shot a 170 pound sow with my Savage .223. One round in the head was instantly fatal. Her tusks were razor sharp and about 3" long, each. More than enough to slash a man to death, even though she was relatively small by hog standards. Slash an artery in the extremities or in the neck, death is almost guaranteed. Wild hogs are smart, irritable and vicious. Never underestimate one, regardless of size.
Not to nitpick, but I can guarantee you its tusks were not razor sharp. Can you shave with them? I imagine they were quite pointy though.

Back
Top Bottom