• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Italian Carcano, questions

I'm sure some of you have one of these. This was the second gun I ever owned- first was a Marlin 22LR. I was about 12yo, and was over my best friend's uncles house. The uncle was showing his neph and I his gun collection. I saw the Carcano and mentioned how cool it looked, of course what gun doesn't look cool to a 12 year old kid, right?...and he said "You like it? here it's yours" It's not original, and has a sportarized stock, everything seems to be in working order though I have to say I've never shot it in the 40 years I've owned it. It's the 6.5, not the 7.35

Was wondering what people experiences are with this rifle, and what they're worth today.
I'll try to upload a pic of this rifle a little later today.

Well it is certainly one of the most infamous rifles in history. You will recall that Lee Harvey Oswald used one in the assassination of JFK.

As military rifles go, and in the golden age of milsurps, the 1950's they were not highly regarded when compared to the various Mausers then available, but then neither were the Moisin-Nagants. By all accounts, however, they were durable service rifles.

On the surplus market they were usually very inexpensive, somewhere in the neighborhood of around $12.95 plus shipping and handling via USPS circa 1960.

Last edited:
Well it is certainly one of the most infamous rifles in history. You will recall that Lee Harvey Oswald used one in the assassination of JFK.

Indeed I remember the day

Though I was very young. My older brother (also a NES greenie) and I were outside playing, probably because he had thrown a shoe through the screen of the black and white TV the day before trying to hit me because I was running around aggravating him- or so the story was related to me... oops, I digress, anyway, that's probably why we were outside, and we both saw something quite out of the ordinary. It was a low flying small plane trailing a banner. Of course we were too young to read at the time, but the banner said "Kennedy Shot, Killed" We just thought it was exciting and went in the house to tell our mother. I remember her being frantic and getting on the telephone to make some calls. I also remember something later on in the day, something that scared me as a very young child, something I had never seen before- both my mother and father sitting at the kitchen table crying. Of course I was much too young to make sense of it all at the time.

They were worth about a hundred bucks last I checked. Cool little guns. I have one my great uncle gave me a lifetime ago. I need to clean and use it some time. The clips were fun to track down. Mine still has cosmoline in the barrel but is missing a barrel band.
Wod love to see pictures of yours.
I heard stories of a German 8mm conversion that worked poorly.

Replacement stocks are difficult to locate. They are not easy guns to resurrect to their former military glory.

So, if it shoot well, enjoy what you have!

There are numerous models dating from 1891. And since these were made by Italians and not Germans, the model names and variations are some what vague. The rifles were not marked to indicate models. Collectors have since agreed upon what to call the different variants but they do not match anything in Italy. Depending on what you have, the price may vary.

Also, depending on what has been done to yours, the price may vary. If only the stock has been altered, then the value would be higher than one that has missing parts, drilled and tapped receiver and cut barrel. As Martin has stated, stocks for these are difficult to find but not impossible. The question is whether it is worth it.

Pictures of your gun would be great and we can tell you a lot more about it. Here is a good website describing the variants.

The ITALIAN CARCANO RIFLE

Each gun was marked with the arsenal which was sometimes just letters, the year it was made using the normal way and then again using Roman numerals to indicate the year of IL Duce's reign, and a serail number in addition to the caliber. If you post pics make sure to get some of the markings.

As far as how good they were that of course is a matter of opinion. These were not Mausers. Their design and quality could not compete with Mauser, but made good enough for their purpose. (Much like the Mosins). In the hands of a trained soldier they were as good as any rifle in WWII for killing the enemy.

As far as the Kennedy rifle, that was a Model 1891/38 which was the most numerous carbine. It was altered by Klein's Sporting Goods in Chicago by using a stamped side mounted scope mount and a very very cheap Japanese scope. I once owned one from Klein's exactly like Oswalds in every detail, even the arsenal and year made, and recreated the shot the best I could. IMHO, the rifle with iron sights was easily up to the job. The scope was not, but since it was side mounted, the iron sights were usable.

It would be great to see pics if you get the chance.

Pictures show a fixed-sight Model 38 Short Rifle that has had its original stock replaced with a sporter. Very typical practice of the late 1950's and into the 60's.

The front sight has also been altered, which would make it difficult to return to military configuration.

Find some 6.5 Carcano and shoot it!

It is a carbine for sure but not sure yet which one. They made a bunch of different carbine models and each one had its own barrel length. It could have been a M38 like Martin says that had its barrel cut and that weird front sight put on or that use to be a Calvary Carbine and the front sight/bayonet mount had its bottom cut off and then it was milled round. But there were many variations with in each model so it is difficult to tell with out better pics of the muzzle. My best guess is it use to look like this here.

View attachment 56832

From this website https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1461

What are the arsenal markings and year it was made?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom