• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IT job at Century Arms

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
Hey, guys, this just popped up on my job search. Unfortunately, I'm telecom and not IT support.

https://www.linkedin.com/comm/jobs/...l_jobs_jymbii_digest;cCSNuXg9Qiyapu8WQQs7Lg==

Job description
IT Help Desk configures, maintains, analyzes, troubleshoots and repairs computer, hardware and peripherals. Documents, maintains, upgrades or replaces hardware and software. Supports and maintains user account admin rights including rights, security and groups.

• Assist users to define, configure and deliver required computer, printer and copier/scanner service(s)
  • Train and support end users on computer, printer, network and phone operation and applications
  • Install, configure, test, maintain, monitor and troubleshoot end user workstation hardware/software, peripherals and networked products
  • Preform on-site analysis, diagnosis and resolution of computer, peripherals, copier/scanner and network problems and recommend/implement corrective hardware/software solutions including off-site repair
  • Receive and respond to phone calls and/or emails regarding PC and/or hardware problems and maintain call support list
  • Maintain inventories, reports and statistical monitoring of all computer and peripheral, network and phone hardware and software
  • Document hardware and software failure, repair, installation, and removal/destruction of computer, network and phones
  • Evaluate and recommend hardware and software products for purchase
  • Maintain user security rights and folder/network permission access
  • Coordinates with vendors (ISPs and service providers) to correct server issues and to maintain security integrity
  • Participate and assist with global projects and IT Department project
  • Develop and maintain Intranet website and company TV servers
  • Assist/maintain/develop various projects within the IT dept. as needed
  • Other duties will be assigned as required.

And do I really need to point out that you don't need a carry permit in Vermont and suppressors are LEGAL here? Come on in, the water's fine.

I'm in IT. That job just based on the description has "dumpster fire" written all over it. Might be a good fit for a young guy/gal with some experience though. (esp from the something is better than nothing" department. )

-Mike

I'm in IT. That job just based on the description has "dumpster fire" written all over it. Might be a good fit for a young guy/gal with some experience though. (esp from the something is better than nothing" department. )

-Mike

Yeah, pass here, too. That reads as "help desk bitch" to me.

I have a century arms dealer account. A lot of distributers have horrible IT systems/web sites. Century arms is bad enough that they make fsguns.com look high tech and efficient.

No doubt there would be a lot of work for a long time, so job security

That job also has "opportunity" for a young person written all over it.

Think back. Remember when it was fun working 20 hour days for three or four days at a time? Napping at your desk, working on projects that we thought were really going to make a difference? Young, idealistic?

Not half burnt out, cynical old fcks like we are now?

Writing code's still fun for me, but I pretty much call it a day after 10 hours unless it's a real problem. The days of 80 hour weeks are for the younger guys in my group.

Think back. Remember when it was fun working 20 hour days for three or four days at a time? Napping at your desk, working on projects that we thought were really going to make a difference? Young, idealistic?
BTDT.

We grow older and wonder why nobody wants to hire us in our 40's and 50s when we have families and lives, don't work 12+ hours every day, and expect that our wisdom and experience makes us worth more despite the fact that we actually work less.

Pass here too. All set with being overworked and underpaid help desk b1tch. Wait - they want you to be a developer (develop site) but also want you to be help desk b1tch too. So they want a Dev-Ops guy at a help desk salary. Yea - call me good. I would entertain moving to VT in a second - but not for something like this. Have to agree - job description is a dumpster fire.

Likely a $10/hr job, overworked and way underpaid. Probably make as much asking "do you want fries with that?" at Mickey-D's.

BTDT.

We grow older and wonder why nobody wants to hire us in our 40's and 50s when we have families and lives, don't work 12+ hours every day, and expect that our wisdom and experience makes us worth more despite the fact that we actually work less.

Yup, I remember meeting a friend for dinner at Microsoft in Redmond at >6PM, half the parking garage at MS was still full. It was a standing joke that if you only worked 8 hrs/day that you were a slacker. Most of the 'softies that I knew left there when they were in their mid-30s for other jobs or to start their own companies.

Likely a $10/hr job, overworked and way underpaid. Probably make as much asking "do you want fries with that?" at Mickey-D's.

I doubt the pay is that bad, Len. Then again it might actually work out to being that garbagey if its salaried and they basically force overtime all the time... Even the box store retail computer repair positions (eg, at a place like a WorstBuy, etc) pay more than that, and that's basically the McDonalds of IT jobs. That said I doubt the pay is on the higher end of the scale, either. They know that rural COL is often a lot lower, etc, and they price the help accordingly.

-Mike

You guys are making me feel bad. Last weekend was the first days off I had in three weeks and I'm the friggin manager.... [thinking]

You probably get paid well though. It's not quite as atrocious if you get compensated well for it. I don't know that I could do something like 65+ hrs a week though for an extended period of time. As it is right now I hover around high 50s low 60s if you throw commuting in the mix (I look at it this way, it's work that I don't get paid for).

-Mike

Century arms is bad enough that they make fsguns.comlook high tech and efficient.
The funny thing is the site is efficient at selling guns, and it's the only shop around these hear parts that I know of that has real time inventory of used guns.

Want a Super sysadmin and Dev Ops guy that they can give a help desk title and salary to. I don't mean to sound arrogant but 1 out of every 2 job openings in the country now require coding experience. As i.T. folks we're not desperate for work.... rather it's very much the other way around... SHOW ME THE MONEY!!! Because other companies are willing to pay competitive salaries... and if you're not then your position will go unfilled.

They were a customer of ours and I got a lengthy warehouse tour. Absolutely amazing.

Andthey gave me a USB memory stick shaped like a cartridge.

If the job is as good as the guns they make....run.....don't walk away. From the description it sounds like they want a person who can do just about anything and probably pay them crap. Everything from help desk dope to network and intranet admin.

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys do in IT/Telecom? I've been in the IT field since 1998 and currently work for a company called Akamai in Kendall Square, Cambridge. In my role, I build, manage and support fiber optical transport (DWDM) systems globally. I make the internet work....literally [smile]

Anything with Help Desk or Documenting duties sounds like a role for a younger IT guy in his 20's. I guess Trump really is producing jobs.

Jeez, people. I didn't say quit your $100K job for this. I just passed it on for oh, I don't know - MAYBE A YOUNG GUY TRYING TO BREAK INTO THE FIELD??? Maybe someone trying to get OUT of Marxachusetts?

Or are you all so old and fossilized you don't remember what it's like to get your first job?

Good grief.

Jeez, people. I didn't say quit your $100K job for this. I just passed it on for oh, I don't know - MAYBE A YOUNG GUY TRYING TO BREAK INTO THE FIELD??? Maybe someone trying to get OUT of Marxachusetts?

Or are you all so old and fossilized you don't remember what it's like to get your first job?

Good grief.

Definitely true thats why I basically said that in my post. It might be something that an otherwise "semi/underqualified" might be able to work his way into, do a year of hell, and then move off to something better.

My first 40 hr job in this industry in 97 was total and utter shit. But it was a needed experience. And I launched a business out of it, on top of that.

-Mike

Good grief.

Exactly. That is how I read it. When I was in my early 20s I would have definitely investigated and checked out an opportunity like this.

Exactly. That is how I read it. When I was in my early 20s I would have definitely investigated and checked out an opportunity like this.
One think I learned from experience in my 20's - if you are in the tech field, the location is as important as the job. Jobs come and go, and it is beneficial to be in an area where there are likely to me numerous opportunities if the "special job" you relocated for evaporates.

One think I learned from experience in my 20's - if you are in the tech field, the location is as important as the job. Jobs come and go, and it is beneficial to be in an area where there are likely to me numerous opportunities if the "special job" you relocated for evaporates.

I worked in Field Service in my early 20s. I fixed copiers, fax machines and laser printers for Xerox. Unfortunately I worked downtown Boston. You started downtown and all the spots in the burbs etc. were grabbed by the guys downtown when they opened so everyone paid their dues working downtown. Knowing it would be years before I could get out of downtown I started looking. This was in 80 and 81 and I tried real hard to get into DEC in Augusta ME. I was stupid enough not to care about other opportunities in the area should I ever lose that job. My girlfriend lived up there, I loved to fish and dirt bike. I was up there every weekend and I just wanted to move up there. While I understand what you are saying bout location sometimes young people just don't take that into account or it doesn't fit with their plans. I never did get that job with DEC and I never did move up there but I did marry my girlfriend and move her down here and we are still together.

Last edited:
Well, now.

I just accepted an offer from a government contractor in Williston. And the HR person asked me if I knew anyone who would be interested in a position for a Network Engineer Level 2.

PM me if you're interested or email me at my Gmail account: dwarven1.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom