It felt like a meteor had struck the earth’: Reporter describes his experience firing an AR-15 at the range

I have one too, an older remington 700 ADL, no brake, and a slightly shortened length of pull with a nice old burris eye lid slicer on it lol
I would invite anyone of these folks to the range with my 300 weatherby magnum - it doesn’t have a brake. It does have a scope with about 3” of eye relief 🤣
I remember the first time shooting an AR after only ever shooting a 7mm mag bolt action or a 12 gauge pump. I had no idea centerfire rifle shooting was fun!

As an aside, AR’s (5.56 & 7.62) are stupid fun to shoot all day. I can do about 20 shots on my 300 Wby before I get twitchy. I love the 300 though, 180 grain TSX & Accubonds have killed a big caribou at 167 yards, 5 steps and down and the 925lb moose on the trot/run at 145yds quartering away, dropped in its tracks.

As an aside, AR’s (5.56 & 7.62) are stupid fun to shoot all day. I can do about 20 shots on my 300 Wby before I get twitchy. I love the 300 though, 180 grain TSX & Accubonds have killed a big caribou at 167 yards, 5 steps and down and the 925lb moose on the trot/run at 145yds quartering away, dropped in its tracks.

The very first Appleseed shoot I went to - I brought my M1A. This was after reading Boston's Gun Bible and some Matt Bracken. I figured if I'm gonna learn how to shoot the "right" way - it might as well be with a battle rifle.

That was a tough day. It was sunny and relatively warm out - for April, I was sick - and that thing beat the hell out of me.

The next time around - I bought an AR.

Back
Top Bottom