• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

It’s been 6 months, have you gotten your M1 yet?

cathouse01

NES Member
OK, I started the “Have you gotten your M1 Garand yet” just about six months ago. It’s good to see in that thread and in the M1 Garand mega thread that several of you have picked up the Garand banner. But it’s not too late for the rest of you. The CMP still has field grade and service grade M1 Garands available (Springfield or Harrington & Richardson manufacturer). They are currently backed up 4 months on delivery, but if you get your order in you are guaranteed a rifle. They are hoping to have more when they catch up from the backlog, but there is no way to know when they might run out of serviceable receivers. And they will run out some day.

Just to wet your appetite, you can not only collect Garands, but you can also collect things like their bayonets:
M1 bayonets.jpg

Top is the original M1905 bayonet that the M1 inherited from the M1903 Springfield (20 in overall with a 16 in blade).
Middle is the M1 bayonet used from 1943 to 1953 (14 in overall with a 10 in blade).
Botton is the M5 bayonet issued in 1953 (11.5 in overall with a 6.75 in blade).

The M5 is unique among US bayonets in that it does not have a muzzle ring. Instead there is a stud in the cross guard that fits in the gas cylinder lock screw under the M1 barrel. Because of this, it will only fit the M1.

I personally prefer the M1 bayonet. The M1905 is just absurdly long and the M5 just looks a bit too small on a M1.

ETA Oh, and the United States Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon agrees with me. They use the M1 bayonet on their M1 Garands, not the pipsqueak M5.

Last edited:
I can remember as a kid 70s/80s my dad and many orthers using old bayonets as tent pegs. Tou could grab them in various conditions at the army navy stores - when they actually had army/navy surplus.
Most of all the stuff my dad had gor used and abused and served its purpose. He always seen it as good cheap gear.

oh I an actually at 10 week mark of the 8-12 week wait before you even get a order confirmation. So getting close

How did you order on cmp?

Placed a order in around Feb,just heard back this week .. Due in Mon ..
Defense Dynamics had PPU 500 round cans for 70 cents a round around March time frame

Cathouse01, do you have a source you can post on where you got the M1 bayonet? I haven’t looked around myself but figured you could save me the trouble.

Cathouse01, do you have a source you can post on where you got the M1 bayonet? I haven’t looked around myself but figured you could save me the trouble.
hate to say but ebay , cmp had some, just poke around , some are as expensive as the rifes.
I picked up a handful of what is believed to be Greek made US contract ones a while back.

Sent in my paperwork just over a month ago. Still waiting for any sort of response. I know it will be a wait, but this gives me time to find ammo! Also, to add to the above, a bayonet would be a nice addition.

The CMP was my original source, now they only have the M7 for M16 style rifles. I’ve found this site: US Military Knives useful for info on various bayonets and as a source, but his inventory varies a lot so you need to check back often (he currently has a couple of nice M1s for $75-$100). A really useful section of this site is the Reproduction Recognition page, which helps you identify repros so you don’t end up paying original collectable prices for cheap repros.

There is the Market Place sub-forum in the CMP Forums : Marketplace - CMP Forums

Sarco Inc. (Antique Guns For Sale, Gun Parts, Gun Accessories, Firearms Parts) is also a good source, although last time I checked they only had repros.

If you don’t mind repros, you can even order them from Amazon, just search for “M1 bayonet”.

And of course there is always E-Bay.

Sent in my paperwork just over a month ago. Still waiting for any sort of response. I know it will be a wait, but this gives me time to find ammo! Also, to add to the above, a bayonet would be a nice addition.
Yeah hurry up and wait
CMP says 8-12 weeks before you even get a order confirmation im right at week 10 for a SA/HRA service grade.
Then its a few more weeks before delivery

I just waited too long. I was going to pull the trigger back when they were doing the Special rack grade with the new criterion barrels. I finally went to do it and those were sold out. Oh well... my fault.

I just waited too long. I was going to pull the trigger back when they were doing the Special rack grade with the new criterion barrels. I finally went to do it and those were sold out. Oh well... my fault.
You can always drop a order in for a service grade. If you find yourself really getting into shooting it a new barrel is not a hard up grade

I can remember as a kid 70s/80s my dad and many orthers using old bayonets as tent pegs. Tou could grab them in various conditions at the army navy stores - when they actually had army/navy surplus.
Most of all the stuff my dad had gor used and abused and served its purpose. He always seen it as good cheap gear.

oh I an actually at 10 week mark of the 8-12 week wait before you even get a order confirmation. So getting close

Man I miss REAL army navy stores.

You can always drop a order in for a service grade. If you find yourself really getting into shooting it a new barrel is not a hard up grade
This. ^^^^, or save yourself $100 and get a field grade. If you’re serious about upgrading the barrel and stock there is no particular advantage to starting with a service grade vs a field grade. However, if you think you might want to keep it intact, go with a service grade. I have a service grade that shoots as well as both of my Specials (one in .30-06 and one in .308) and while it’s not “all correct”, it does have some historical significance and probably was used in the Korean War (where my dad’s cousin lost his life).

ETA I should have said “That I shoot as well as I shoot my Specials”. I am a notoriously poor shot, particular with irons, so a good shooter might see a difference.

Last edited:
Yeah hurry up and wait
CMP says 8-12 weeks before you even get a order confirmation im right at week 10 for a SA/HRA service grade.
Then its a few more weeks before delivery
Just curious, I may have missed it on the site. When do they consider an order 'received'? Is it when they acknowledge it with the email (after ~12 weeks), or when they receive the order in the mail?

Just curious, I may have missed it on the site. When do they consider an order 'received'? Is it when they acknowledge it with the email (after ~12 weeks), or when they receive the order in the mail?
When they pick it out of the pile and process your info- 10-12 weeks
Mine was “delivered” per USPS tracking 3 days after I mailed it

Just give them a call, they’ll be happy to talk to you.

Just give them a call, they’ll be happy to talk to you.
Dont call it will only slow them down !!!!
Mail your order in with tracking , see that it was delivered and then hurry up and wait!
Just a reminder the order confirmation is also known as a DBU.
We got your order Dont Bother Us, you will get your order........eventually
Also reminder they wont charge your card until it ships
Checks they have to deposit. Could you just imagine having 15-20k checks kicking around till orders are ready!

When they pick it out of the pile and process your info- 10-12 weeks
Mine was “delivered” per USPS tracking 3 days after I mailed it
They are expected to get my order on Friday. Looks like I am into mid-July before I hear back. Similar to waiting for my suppressor, only shorter window.

Back
Top Bottom