• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Issues with preban mags in Gen 4 G19

Got my followers this morning (fast), couldn't help myself to zip over to the range and try them out. Problem SOLVED. Only changed the followers not the springs.
New 9mm-3 on left, old original on right.

Nice! Hope I get the same results. Did U order from rock your Glock?

Got my followers this morning (fast), couldn't help myself to zip over to the range and try them out. Problem SOLVED. Only changed the followers not the springs.
New 9mm-3 on left, old original on right.

Finally got a chance to head to the range today before work with the new followers installed in the pre bans. Problem solved... On all of them. I already had new springs in them and was having issues until I put in the new followers. So, I assume the fix was due to the followers. Though it doesn't hurt to have the new springs.

Total cost to fix was +/- $10/mag

Well it appears this thread has solved my issue and helped at least one other person. Mission accomplished. Thank you for the assistance. Not one single smart a$$ comment either. A first for NES. ;)

Resurrecting this to add another data point. I shot 150 rounds of Speer Lawman TMJ the other day and had 3 FTF. Unacceptable. This is with FML square notch prebans. At least one was on the last round, can't remember the other two. Now that I think about it, I think two failures I had in the first 300 rounds that I blamed on operator error may have been not-my-fault FTFs.

Not taking any chances, going to order new springs for those I haven't replaced already and put new 9mm3 followers in all of them.

EDIT: This is with a new Glock 19 Gen4. And the FTF were of the "caught on ramp" variety, slide halfway closed. Brass had transverse gouging in it towards the bullet end.

Last edited:
Resurrecting this to add another data point. I shot 150 rounds of Speer Lawman TMJ the other day and had 3 FTF. Unacceptable. This is with FML square notch prebans. At least one was on the last round, can't remember the other two. Now that I think about it, I think two failures I had in the first 300 rounds that I blamed on operator error may have been not-my-fault FTFs.

Not taking any chances, going to order new springs for those I haven't replaced already and put new 9mm3 followers in all of them.

EDIT: This is with a new Glock 19 Gen4. And the FTF were of the "caught on ramp" variety, slide halfway closed. Brass had transverse gouging in it towards the bullet end.
Your FML mag sounds busted, I'll give you $20 for it

Anyone know local shops that sell new followers? Sick of ordering online and waiting.

I'm reaching here as I have no clue and I've only been to the shop once but give Northeast Arms a call. 978-826-5457
They sell a bunch of small AR parts I wouldn't be surprised if they had Glock parts too, actually I think they do not sure about followers though.

Installed my followers and springs today. The 9mm3 followers definitely visibly increase the feed angle of the cartridge.

When unloading my carry mag to do the install, I found the follower got stuck repeatedly, failing to raise rounds, and some rounds just fell out [shocked]. Sure enough, the mag spring was way out of spec. Only one coil sticking out. Patinaed to hell too. My other 15-round preban also had an out of spec and patinaed to hell spring. Finally, the only 17-round preban that still had an old spring was a little patinaed and barely in spec. Replaced all those springs. I wasn't expecting this since I thought I had checked the springs when I bought the mags and found them to be in spec (not long ago). However, the mags I have +2 baseplates on I had put extended springs in immediately when I got them and both of those showed no shortening when I checked today, not even the one that had been loaded to capacity for the past 1-2 months, and no patina. I sort of feel that the newly bought springs have a slightly different bending shape and are made with a different metal, but that might just be an illusion from the wear on the old ones.

Lesson learned: if you buy a preban or used magazine, switch out the springs, even if they look fine. Also, only use 9mm3 followers in prebans. Don't trust the 9mm1, 9mm2, or unmarked followers, even if you have yet to have trouble.

They seem to be functioning fine based on snap cap testing, but we'll see what happens at the range.

To correct some confusion I had earlier in this thread, it appears that there were two variations of unmarked 9mm followers before the 9mm1 follower (which was the first variation to be marked). Picture at http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20055344&postcount=4.

Have 300+ rounds through after the installs. No malfunctions. 9mm3 followers (and new springs) seem like the right solution.

I still had stuck and loose rounds when unloading that one mag after leaving it loaded with hollowpoints for a few days, even post spring+follower switch. Seems to be a problem with the mag tube. The follower wiggles front to back much more in it than other mags. Relegated it to range duty.

Just one more data point.. my gen4 G19 would reliably FTF on the last round with my FML pre-bans. Didn't matter if I loaded 1, 15, or anything in between. Did some reading, ordered new standard 9 coil springs (part SP02429) and the 9mm #3 followers .. problem solved.

Normally the geek in me would insist on swapping out one thing at a time to determine whether it was the spring or the follower, but I decided it didn't matter.. the new parts were cheap compared to the MA cost of the mags. And now they work no problem.

Hope it helps.
This thread has been very helpful to me and upon further research I've found new data and wanted to update things. The spring part number SP02429 has been replaced with part 33509. Hope that helps someone in the future

Back
Top Bottom