Issues with preban mags in Gen 4 G19

Anyone else have issues with pre bans mags in the Gen4 G19?

Both of the mags wont feed the last round into the chamber and another has trouble loading the first round. The slide has a tough time going forward. I can smack it and it closes. Both mags have new springs in them.

I've field stripped and gave her a thorough cleaning.

Not having any problems with the 10 round mags at all.

I'm losing faith in the new G19 that it will work when/if I need it to. Considering other compact carry pieces that have pre ban mags available. What do you good folks recommend? (enter Glock haters)

I had the same issue.

Replaced all the springs and followers and no issues since.
It's definitely the followers if they're the original ones, need to upgrade them to the more square ones versus the old rounder ones.

I remember seeing a post about the angle of the feed ramps when viewed from the side comparing preban and neutered mags from different models. Maybe Boris posted it in his Frankenglock thread. That's all I have.

I would recommend new spring and follower and getting to see if the size of the opening is the same as a regular mag. if the lips are spread too far to too close it can cause trouble

What marking is on the top, visible portion of the follower?

Also, as others have asked, are these U-notch magazines?

my of my U-notches had similar issues, I got new baseplates and wolff +10% springs and that's solved the issue so far (I got followers as well but did not install them).

Just one more data point.. my gen4 G19 would reliably FTF on the last round with my FML pre-bans. Didn't matter if I loaded 1, 15, or anything in between. Did some reading, ordered new standard 9 coil springs (part SP02429) and the 9mm #3 followers .. problem solved.

Normally the geek in me would insist on swapping out one thing at a time to determine whether it was the spring or the follower, but I decided it didn't matter.. the new parts were cheap compared to the MA cost of the mags. And now they work no problem.

Hope it helps.

I have a Gen4 G19 which I run square-notch FML preban magazines in. It has gone a bit over 300 rounds with them without a problem (other than my damn thumb riding my the slide stop lever [banghead]). All of them have 9mm1 followers. I'm not sure what springs are in the 15s or 17s, but two of the 17s have Glock factory + baseplates with brand new 11-coil springs. All the others have the 3026 floorplate.

I believe glocks newest followers have the number 9 on them. They could be out with 10 but when i took my armorer course 9 was the newest follower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update: Called Glock and they said to use the followers marked with 9mm3 for pre ban mags in the Gen4. Ordered a few of those and a glock tool. Will update when I swap them out.

What are your current followers marked? "9mm" or "9mm1"?

It would be marked on top correct? I just unloaded one mag and there were no markings at all.

Yea, it would be on top, towards the front, in the curved part of the follower. See the follower on the right in http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/G2034/Follower.jpg.

You might need to wipe some carbon off :p I have definitely seen numbers disappear in Glock polymer because of carbon without even realizing it was dirty.

nope no numbers on either mag. now I have a dilemma. I put the full mag in and tried to release the slide. the round will not feed and is now stuck in front of the feed ramp and I cant drop the mag. its stuck. how do I fix this? quick replies would be great :p

Edit: Got it. Was able to bring back the slide and lock it back. then was able to drop the mag.

I'm hoping the new followers will fix this crap.

Yea, it would be on top, towards the front, in the curved part of the follower. See the follower on the right in http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/G2034/Follower.jpg.

You might need to wipe some carbon off :p I have definitely seen numbers disappear in Glock polymer because of carbon without even realizing it was dirty.

Last edited:
nope no numbers on either mag. now I have a dilemma. I put the full mag in and tried to release the slide. the round will not feed and is now stuck in front of the feed ramp and I cant drop the mag. its stuck. how do I fix this? quick replies would be great :p

Edit: Got it. Was able to bring back the slide and lock it back. then was able to drop the mag.

I'm hoping the new followers will fix this crap.

Huh...that's weird. I thought they were all marked, even the original "9mm" ones. Anyone with more knowledge know otherwise? Maybe it wore off or is aftermarket.

Yea, when that happens (haven't had it happen on a Glock yet), my brain usually goes into autopilot and does a double-feed clearance drill since it looks similar: lock the slide, pull out the magazine with your hand (probably wont drop on its own), rack rack rack, insert fresh mag, tap, rack. However, if it really just is a FTF stuck on the ramp I think you can just pull back the slide and let it slam forward again.

These are U notch. No markings at all. Must be reeeeally old mags?

Ah! Yea. I wonder if the "9mm" (pre 9mm1) followers are actually unmarked, or if there is a follower that predated that. I haven't actually seen one myself, only read about them. My prebans have the 9mm1 but they are square notch. I think the 9mm1 showed up in the 3rd generation of magazines, i.e. the generation right before the square notch, so still U-notch but partially metal lined.

I seem to remember another thread on NES about issues with a Gen4 G19 and U-notch magazines. Not sure if it was fixed. You might want to try searching for that, but I suspect a 9mm3 follower and spring will do the trick. Consensus around here is that the U-notch magazines are a pain.

Are yours totally polymer, or partially metal lined? (is the "U" metal or polymer?)

Back
Top Bottom