Israeli Orlite AR mags ?

I was going through old boxes and ammo cans in my basement, and I came across 40 Israeli Orlite AR 30 rd magazines I had purchased in the 1980s.
Some still have the sticker on them $14.50

Most of them I had ground the skirt off so they would fit into my AR rifle.
The Israelis made these with a plastic skirt, so that their soldiers fighting in the desert will not get sand blown up the magzine well.
The skirt made a seal - however it was impossible to get the mags to click into the rifle unless I removed the skirts.

To the best of my recollection they worked better than GI contract mags from that time period.

Someone told me to sell them on gunbroker because people in Massachusetts buy these because they can only own "old" magazines ?
Is that true?

MA never expired the assault weapons ban. So, unless you're exempted by being Law Enforcement or similar, magazines must be 10 rounds or less if they are not "preban" - i.e., made prior to Sept 1994.

So, yes, they are desirable for MA residents. I usually see $25-$45 each for preban magazines depending on style and condition. Not sure if COVID and election has made them any more valuable.

There's a well-regarded member selling the Orlites for $23 on here.

Last edited:
I also have many 1980s era Military Contract aluminum 30 round magazines with new 2020 Magpul anti-tilt followers.
Maybe I should buy new ones and send these old ones to help the Massachusettians?

Is it OK to mail these pre-ban magazines to people in MA (and similar states)?
Or is it better done in person?

@HowardZ you can totally mail pre-94 magazines to folks... the issue is people in MA must have a valid LTC. If you wanted to CYA you could ask them to send you a copy if you’re out of state, but that is not required on your part as the seller, only a requirement for the buyer.

edit: “Similar States” have their own restrictions... for example, CT can not possess and I’d avoid NY myself... I’d suggest reading up on any laws to paint within the lines...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom