Israeli Lend Lease M1 Carbines?

Did this happen? I have seen an auction on Gunboards go around a few times in which the auction states "Many M1s were given as lend-lease or sold to our allies both during the wars and after."

I have a Bavarian Marked M1 but I never heard about Israel getting some. I didn't find much info online, other than a post that links back to here. ha ha

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/52433-M1-Carbines-in-use-in-Israel

Is there a way to tell they were in Israel? Stars of David? Do these really exist?

Not to be confused with these guys - http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_iai.html

Last edited:
When I was in Israel in 1989 and 2000, the Civil Guard were carrying M1 Carbines. They looked pretty beat up. AFAIK, they are still in use for this purpose.

Troops were outfitted with M4s and M16s.

All these guns came from US gov. Not sure if they were given, lent or sold to the Israelis.

I know after wwii they got a mix of captured german weapons, some british and us wwii leftovers. My mg34 has stars of david all over it from post wwii isrealie use

The US gave them, loaned them, or sold them to various client states since WWII. Howa was even set up to manufacture them in Japan.

I don't know of any special markings or reimport. It is a common misconception that IAI carbines were Isreali manufactured.

Posted a thread on jouster to see if anyone has info.

Israeli Civil Guard used M1. I don't remember any markings on them that would identify them as being specifically Israeli. Most were really beat up, but usable in a pinch. I also have never heard of any land-lease programs between Israel and US. AFAIK, most US made firearms in Israel were procured through US military assistance program funds allocation, many gifted when US forces phased out old weapons.
I used to carry Colt M16, which was made in the 1960s, if my recollection is correct. The plastic M16 magazines were complete POS. But then, most Uzi's we've had were made even earlier than that. The guys in special forces had good stuff, though.

Israeli Civil Guard used M1. I don't remember any markings on them that would identify them as being specifically Israeli. Most were really beat up, but usable in a pinch. I also have never heard of any land-lease programs between Israel and US. AFAIK, most US made firearms in Israel were procured through US military assistance program funds allocation, many gifted when US forces phased out old weapons.
I used to carry Colt M16, which was made in the 1960s, if my recollection is correct. The plastic M16 magazines were complete POS. But then, most Uzi's we've had were made even earlier than that. The guys in special forces had good stuff, though.

The Israeli Civil Guard that I saw by the Western Wall and other places were all carrying the M1 Carbines, not M1 Garands.

The Israeli Civil Guard that I saw by the Western Wall and other places were all carrying the M1 Carbines, not M1 Garands.

Did I ever say Garands? I've never even seen one in Israel, which doesn't mean much, but still...

Did I ever say Garands? I've never even seen one in Israel, which doesn't mean much, but still...

Gotcha.

Since M1s are popular around here, we usually state that when we are referring to Garands and use "M1 Carbine" to designate that model so as not to confuse anyone that reads our posts.

That's why I picked up on your response. [I don't pretend to know what all the security factions are carrying all around the Country.]

In general, M1 is used to refer to Garands. M1 Carbines are referred to as such, or as "carbines". It's been that way pretty much everywhere I've posted or been.

Last edited:
Did this happen? I have seen an auction on Gunboards go around a few times in which the auction states "Many M1s were given as lend-lease or sold to our allies both during the wars and after."
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/52433-M1-Carbines-in-use-in-Israel

Is there a way to tell they were in Israel? Stars of David? Do these really exist?

There is a gal from Israel that works at Hansen & Hansen (a gunshop in Southport, CT). She wasn't there yesterday for me to ask, but you could give her a call and pursue this question further. I can't say if she actually served in the IDF, but she's quite sharp otherwise.
http://hansenguns.com/

The M1 Carbines I mention are not new production.....they are C&R WWII production here is just one of the descriptions

Product Description
Quality Products manufacture. These were arsenal type III rifles with adjustable rear sights, bayonet lug and some have pot belly M2 stocks. these are Israeli surplus M-1 carbines, they have nice bores, good to very good metal, no rust, no pitting. wood is used, but what can you expect... the Israelis have been using them in a war or two! each comes with one 15rd magazine, other mags available for $6.95.

Last edited:
The M1 Carbines I mention are not new production.....they are C&R WWII production here is just one of the descriptions

Product Description
Quality Products manufacture. These were arsenal type III rifles with adjustable rear sights, bayonet lug and some have pot belly M2 stocks. these are Israeli surplus M-1 carbines, they have nice bores, good to very good metal, no rust, no pitting. wood is used, but what can you expect... the Israelis have been using them in a war or two! each comes with one 15rd magazine, other mags available for $6.95.

I just saw that, I will call tomorrow and find out what the deal is with them. Thanks guys :)

I just called and asked if these are marked and how they know that they came from Israel. The lady put me on hold and 5 min later came back and said that "they are not marked and they don't know which countries they come from."

So I asked why they are listed on the website as coming from Israel? Her response was "On our website? Are you sure? Please hold" Then 5 min later she comes back and says "The story is that these guns are US made and spent some time in Israel and are now back in the US but they don't have markings or stars of David on them".

So I asked "Then how do you know they came from Israel?" She said "Sir, I don't know that's why they told us"

So basically you're buying a story. No thanks.....

I got some info from collectors on the Jouster forum. No one seems sure how they were originally acquired: most likely they were given or loaned by the US government. Some have been reimported since 2000 or so. But there are no unique markings other than that it was common practice (as in some US Army units) to makr the serial number on the stock.

Some that were reimported had the markings "GFCC CO SACCO" but that doesn't guarantee that's where they are from. They were in pretty good condition for the most part, and mostly late-war configuration: adjustable rear sight, pot-belly stock, type 3 band with bayonet lug, rotary safety, etc.

There does not seem to be any additional value attached.

Back
Top Bottom