• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Isosceles or Weaver stance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mostly I shoot iso. It's fun to pretend I'm a grandpa, pull up my trousers, go to the gun range, talk and drink coffee for 2 hours, take an hour to shoot 10 rounds of .22 using weaver stance, yell at some young whipper snappers about rapid fire, and go home, taking my brass with me.

Same. Although I want to know everything , I have to rely on people who more than I do.
One possible "pro" for Weaver I do like is the cross platform utility of the stance - works with fists , kicks , knives, sticks, athletics ...

If you're at boxing range and your pistol is in your forward hand you messed up a long time ago.

Mostly I shoot iso. It's fun to pretend I'm a grandpa, pull up my trousers, go to the gun range, talk and drink coffee for 2 hours, take an hour to shoot 10 rounds of .22 using weaver stance, yell at some young whipper snappers about rapid fire, and go home, taking my brass with me.

Fudd4258: "YEW BOIIIIIII ISZ RAPID FIRERIN!!!!! WHACHA GOT DERE A MERCHINE GUN?"

-Mike

Neither. Since I have to use one hand to hold up my baggy pants I don't have two hands to hold the gun with. Also, I find stance doesn't matter that much; when you have the pistol parallel to the ground, the sights aren't that useful anyway.

You have to make sure to push the gun toward the target with each shot, and taunt it as well.

Taught Weaver and it comes naturally. Occasionally I can tell myself "Isosceles" but I have to consciously do it. Weaver is more inherent.

Weaver seems to work best in a variety of body positions. I just can't see myself all squared up in a real-life encounter. How would you really square up ISO-style in a crouched or kneeling position???

Iso is how your upper body is, not your feet. I can shoot iso either foot forward, either knee forward while kneeling, prone...it doesn't matter

Iso is how your upper body is, not your feet. I can shoot iso either foot forward, either knee forward while kneeling, prone...it doesn't matter
This.

For you skeptics, try shooting Weaver on the move. Then try shooting Iso on the move. Shooting Weaver on the move is darn near impossible.

If you're at boxing range and your pistol is in your forward hand you messed up a long time ago.

Ha ha ... But. Iso , weaver , boxing , karate , pre 70's knife fighting , most other sports put the strong side back , support side forward , angled stance ... Blah blah .... Unless you're one of those Bruce Lee lead hand first wierdos.

Ha ha ... But. Iso , weaver , boxing , karate , pre 70's knife fighting , most other sports put the strong side back , support side forward , angled stance ... Blah blah .... Unless you're one of those Bruce Lee lead hand first wierdos.

You need to be able to shoot with your support foot forward, your strong foot forward, both feet even, on the move, off balance, kneeling right knee down, kneeling left knee down, crouching, etc. If you can only shoot with your support foot forward, you are greatly limiting yourself. Iso allows you to do all of that.

I shoot iso on the range, however whenever I do force-on-force with sim rounds or do shoot house training, I find iso doesn't lend itself well to moving around in narrow hallways.

I shoot iso on the range, however whenever I do force-on-force with sim rounds or do shoot house training, I find iso doesn't lend itself well to moving around in narrow hallways.

Yea, I can understand how you wouldn't want to fully extend your arms in that situation.

Listen to Jerry. The man knows what he's talking about. Shooting in a square range or on TV Weaver is fine. For practical Shooting ISO is far superior for recoil control, follow up shots, shooting on the move and odd positions, and transitioning between targets

Center Axis Relock [rofl] Taking weaver and making it even dumber

Only thing better than Center Axis Relock was the guy from Vermont who said you should pull the trigger with your middle finger, and use your index finger to "point" at the target.

Last edited by a moderator:
This.

For you skeptics, try shooting Weaver on the move. Then try shooting Iso on the move. Shooting Weaver on the move is darn near impossible.

That's just not true. I can shoot weaver on the move all day long. Just can't hit anything that way...

:)

I use a freestyle platform based on isosceles a la Brian Enos.

I used to do Weaver. After reading Supermoto's posts on the subject and then talking to Cloverleaf, I switched to isosceles and never looked back.

I learned Weaver years ago. I'm trying to to ISO but I can't seem to get into the body position. Still working on it, as well as the two eyes open thing that still eludes me...

I used to do Weaver. After reading Supermoto's posts on the subject and then talking to Cloverleaf, I switched to isosceles and never looked back.

I've always found iso to feel very unnatural and 'thought' I always shot better from modified Weaver. After reading this thread and some of the comments from shooters far more experienced than me, I'm planning to revisit it and give it an honest try.

Weaver seems to work best in a variety of body positions. I just can't see myself all squared up in a real-life encounter. How would you really square up ISO-style in a crouched or kneeling position???

Can you weaver under a car? It's not like it's written in stone, shooting under a car you just do it, both arms forward. I'm talking out my ass here, but I think my left hand shooting is better because of Iso. Same sight picture, same body position, just left finger pulling the trigger. I'm talking single handed shooting drills.

I think my left hand shooting is better because of Iso. Same sight picture, same body position, just left finger pulling the trigger. I'm talking single handed shooting drills.

Thats what I suck at is one hand shooting especially weak hand only. I HATE those IDPA stages when I have to shoot one handed. I do the "tuck hand/arm towards chest" thing which doesn't seem to help much. I just need to practice practice practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom