Isosceles or Weaver stance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isosceles is really the only way to shoot fast and accurately. If you are shooting at a slow pace, then it doesn't matter.

I learned on the Isosceles stance many years ago but then trained in the Weaver stance for IPSC. I find the Weaver more natural. For me. There are of course adherents for each and pros and cons for each.

I learned on the Isosceles stance many years ago but then trained in the Weaver stance for IPSC. I find the Weaver more natural. For me. There are of course adherents for each and pros and cons for each.

You mean isosceles for IPSC? It's extremely rare to see competitors use Weaver.

i was taught weaver but have since re-trained myself to stop doing that.
if i'm going to bother going weaver style, might as well go all the way.....

id_pistol_m1911_700_06.jpg

Isosceles is really the only way to shoot fast and accurately. If you are shooting at a slow pace, then it doesn't matter.

Agree. You won't see any major competitors shooting Weaver anymore. In fact, the only place I see Weaver these days is NCIS. They absolutely love it.

I started with Weaver and as I got more into shooting, was introduced to isosceles. It still doesn't feel natural to me, but I feel more in control when I'm shooting and thankfully no one is shooting at me so I don't care about my body facing the target.

Isosceles for the most part - especially in IDPA. But sometimes I find myself shooting weaver when I bring the magnum revolvers to the range - 44 mag especially.

Many IPSC shooters, myself included, started with the Weaver stance but shifted to Isoceles over time. The Isoceles stance allows you to square up on the line and engage more targets without moving your feet a big advantage.

I feel that the aggressive Weaver stance allows you to control muzzle flip a little more than Isoceles. I know that I made the transition to Isoceles when I realized that I didn't need this extra control for IPSC major loads. Lowering the major PF to 165 made the Isoceles stance even more desirable, as did comps.

When I see someone shoot weaver, it makes me think of this

acc5e43659c88515250.jpg

Agree. You won't see any major competitors shooting Weaver anymore. In fact, the only place I see Weaver these days is NCIS. They absolutely love it.
3/4 angle to the camera. You'll never see anyone on TV shooting Isoscles as it hides the shooters face.

If you're in a SHTF situation, you won't be doing either stance. You'll be doing the "oh shit" stance, especially if someone's right up in your face.

If your serious about shooting its ISO with both eyes open.

If your gonna stand in a lane and shoot a box through your gun once a month Weaver will work fine.

Isosceles per Jerry Miculeck. That's good enough for me.

Same. Although I want to know everything , I have to rely on people who more than I do.
One possible "pro" for Weaver I do like is the cross platform utility of the stance - works with fists , kicks , knives, sticks, athletics ...

Neither. Since I have to use one hand to hold up my baggy pants I don't have two hands to hold the gun with. Also, I find stance doesn't matter that much; when you have the pistol parallel to the ground, the sights aren't that useful anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom