ISIS vs ISIL

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by whalerman69
With this latest terrorist attack in Istanbul Constantinople blamed on a group with "possible" ISIS ties. Why does the rest of the world consistently refer to them as ISIS while the POTUS (Piece Of Turd Uranus Specimen) continually call them ISIL.

Tooshet ya got me [wink] Great book by Robert Crowley "1453" THE HOLY WAR for CONSTANTINOPLE and THE CLASH of ISLAM and THE WEST. We are just now seeing some of the bad apples.

"ISIS... ISIL.... DAESH".... whatever.. etc etc....I just use the old simplified mantra of "Listen, pal, you're either with us or your against us. Which is it?".... And I just simply call all of them Anti-American maggot filthbag scum. But then again I call the person that some people in this land refer to as their "President" the same nasty thing and I honestly never thought I live to see a day in American history where I'd refer to our elected "leader" by such vulgar terms, but.....here we are.

With this latest terrorist attack in Istanbul blamed on a group with "possible" ISIS ties. Why does the rest of the world consistently refer to them as ISIS while the POTUS (Piece Of Turd Uranus Specimen) continually call them ISIL.

Obama and everyone in his administration says ISIL because it is a political talking point. The same type of political talking point Obama accused Trump of using when Trump said radical Islam......

quote_icon.png
With this latest terrorist attack in Istanbul Constantinople blamed on a group with "possible" ISIS ties. Why does the rest of the world consistently refer to them as ISIS while the POTUS (Piece Of Turd Uranus Specimen) continually call them ISIL.

Tooshet ya got me [wink] Great book by Robert Crowley "1453" THE HOLY WAR for CONSTANTINOPLE and THE CLASH of ISLAM and THE WEST. We are just now seeing some of the bad apples.

A little earlier, until the 300s AD, it was called Byzantium.

I think the Brits, at least the media, use the term ISIL.

Israel always refers to them as ISIS.

I agree that it's a subtle message from Obama that he respects ISIS's claim on Israel.

I prefer to call them crazy-a$$ MFin barbaric savage islamo-nazi jihadi camel humpers.

I sure hope that doesn't offend those that want to chop our heads off with a hunting knife!

I think the Brits, at least the media, use the term ISIL.

Israel always refers to them as ISIS.

I agree that it's a subtle message from Obama that he respects ISIS's claim on Israel.

BBC calls them IS which, in English, is what they call themselves. Briefly they switched to "so called IS" under pressure from Cameron but that didn't last. DAESH is the Arabic acronym so IS or DAESH is correct.

Mortal enemy works too.

quote_icon.png

If you really want to go back, try "Byzantium" on for size. Though I always say and write Constantinople whenever it comes up. I've said "wait, what do they call Constantinople these days?" before. It's what happens when you spend a summer reading a Byzantine history book for fun [laugh]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantium

There is some difference in regards to how Arabic words are translated into English, just like any other language. For example, we don't translate Fallschrimjaeger as "Parachute Hunter", it's paratrooper. We also don't translate French idioms exactly either. If you say "Quelle age a-t-il?", it would literally translate as something like "how many years does he have?" rather than "how old is he?"

But I'm going to agree that there's some amount of Israel-hate on the part of O'bama.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom