• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ISIS vs ISIL

With this latest terrorist attack in Istanbul blamed on a group with "possible" ISIS ties. Why does the rest of the world consistently refer to them as ISIS while the POTUS (Piece Of Turd Uranus Specimen) continually call them ISIL.

Because when was the government quick to do anything? Changing the name from ISIL to ISIS in their notes would require too much coordination.

Also the Levant covers a larger area which may be more accurate as to where they are operating.

I think the Brits, at least the media, use the term ISIL.

Israel always refers to them as ISIS.

I agree that it's a subtle message from Obama that he respects ISIS's claim on Israel.

Because when was the government quick to do anything? Changing the name from ISIL to ISIS in their notes would require too much coordination.

Also the Levant covers a larger area which may be more accurate as to where they are operating.

This. Government inertia. Same reason US government sources still spell Osama bin Laden as "Usama." Once they start spelling something one way, they tend to keep it.

Even the media was saying ISIL at first. Then they realized ISIS is easier to say.

Yes. Same as Peking vs Beijing. It was Peking when I was a kid and then apparently the Chinese renamed their capital to Beijing. Wierd.

I think it's because we used what British colonials assigned as the romanised translation of foreign names/capitals. So the the British hear "Peking" as opposed to how the Chinese would phonetically sound out and translate it to "Beijing" in English. Same with "Bombay" and "Mumbai". Translations between languages are always tricky. South Koreans wouldn't refer to their own country as "South Korea". It's "Han Guk" in their language. Along the same lines as "Deutschland" and "Germany."

I think it's because we used what British colonials assigned as the romanised translation of foreign names/capitals. So the the British hear "Peking" as opposed to how the Chinese would phonetically sound out and translate it to "Beijing" in English. Same with "Bombay" and "Mumbai". Translations between languages are always tricky. South Koreans wouldn't refer to their own country as "South Korea". It's "Han Guk" in their language. Along the same lines as "Deutschland" and "Germany."

I know! What's up with all these people changing the names of their famous cities! I grew up with Bombay and now it's Mumbai. Same thing irritates me that the African map and Eastern European maps changed since I was a kid.

And don't get me started on the periodic table! They've added almost 4 rows since I was in high school.

And when I was a kid we had 9 planets. Somehow by 2016, we had misplaced one of our planets and now we're down to 8!

\sarc off

should have used that in my previous post too.

This. Government inertia. Same reason US government sources still spell Osama bin Laden as "Usama." Once they start spelling something one way, they tend to keep it.

Even the media was saying ISIL at first. Then they realized ISIS is easier to say.

You guys are very naive. Obama and his press group parse every single word they say. I'll happily pay you guys $100 each if Obama starts saying "ISIS". GLWT.

With this latest terrorist attack in Istanbul blamed on a group with "possible" ISIS ties. Why does the rest of the world consistently refer to them as ISIS while the POTUS (Piece Of Turd Uranus Specimen) continually call them ISIL.

So we can hate him even more.

I know! What's up with all these people changing the names of their famous cities! I grew up with Bombay and now it's Mumbai. Same thing irritates me that the African map and Eastern European maps changed since I was a kid.

And don't get me started on the periodic table! They've added almost 4 rows since I was in high school.

And when I was a kid we had 9 planets. Somehow by 2016, we had misplaced one of our planets and now we're down to 8!

\sarc off

should have used that in my previous post too.

Don't forget the constantly evolving lingo of the "oppressed".

Colored-Negro-Black-"Person of Color"-"African American"

Queer-Gay-LBG-LBGT-LBGTQ

NEVER just American, because that would JOIN us together instead of dividing us.

You guys are very naive. Obama and his press group parse every single word they say. I'll happily pay you guys $100 each if Obama starts saying "ISIS". GLWT.

Not naive. Just used to work for the .gov. It's how they operate. Since LOOONG before Obama.

Ya that's how I was looking at it. It would not be to difficult to change the spelling on a teleprompter. [wink]

There is nothing subtle about it. By substituting "Levant" for "Syria", he negates the existence of Israel and shows his support for ISIS strategic plan.

I think the Brits, at least the media, use the term ISIL.

Israel always refers to them as ISIS.

I agree that it's a subtle message from Obama that he respects ISIS's claim on Israel.

You answered your own question with the piece of turd Uranus specimen

There is nothing subtle about it. By substituting "Levant" for "Syria", he negates the existence of Israel and shows his support for ISIS strategic plan.

Syria is a single country, Levant encompasses several countries in that region including Israel and Syria. Its used because its a regional terror group, not just a Syrian terror group.

With this latest terrorist attack in [STRIKE=1]Istanbul[/STRIKE] Constantinople blamed on a group with "possible" ISIS ties. Why does the rest of the world consistently refer to them as ISIS while the POTUS (Piece Of Turd Uranus Specimen) continually call them ISIL.

FIFY [smile]

I wouldn't go that far, I don't think he supports ISIS or terrorism, but in his ideal world view, Israel probably doesn't exist, and the lands are returned to Muslims. So he's sort of respecting their claim on the land.

I like the DAESH term best.
It irritates them to no end to be called this (supposedly) since it is the Arabic acronym for ISIS. In reality, Arabic speakers don't use acronyms, and try to make their sentences as long and pompous sounding as possible.
I find it ironic that the only people them calling them this insulting name are those bastions of badassitude, John Kerry and the French.

I like the DAESH term best.
It irritates them to no end to be called this (supposedly) since it is the Arabic acronym for ISIS. In reality, Arabic speakers don't use acronyms, and try to make their sentences as long and pompous sounding as possible.
I find it ironic that the only people them calling them this insulting name are those bastions of badassitude, John Kerry and the French.

+1

Back
Top Bottom