• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is your ID linked to your LTC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terra, for the record I'm not disagreeing with your point in the least or suggesting a particular course of action for anyone. Don't read too deeply into my post. All I'm saying is that I personally appreciate it. Some guys may indeed overreact or treat the carrying gun owner adversely. Just like I unfortunately can't say every cop in the universe is honest or does his job well, some cops may not handle it appropriately.

What I will say is should an officer see the gun unexpectedly, particularly if it's carried in a way commonly associated with criminal activity (i.e., glove box, under the seat, etc.), your experience is likely not to be an enjoyable one. I'm not saying its always right--I'm simply saying it is.

I've been asked this question before by friends and family and I never have a hard and fast answer. Since there are as many approaches among cops as to how to deal with an armed motorist, any approach one may choose to take has its pros and cons. As for me, if you tell me as the outset of a simple traffic stop, you'll get a genuine thank you.

That's all I can promise anyone.

I told the cops I had nothing to do with the shooting and that the 60 hadn't been fired in months. A check of the 60 revealed some serious dust bunnys in the barrel (thank God I never cleaned the little devil) which calmed the LE personnel down quite a bit. I still had to wait for an eye witness to be driven to the scene (they got lost) to clear me. I got lucky, the guy had good eye sight and a good memory, so I got to go home, two hours late.

I always wondered if I was being paranoid making sure any gun I carried was in an obviously "unfired since last cleaning" condition. I now have the answer to that question.

Agreed, my point is that when pulled over for a traffic infraction there's generally no need to notify, but you can get quite the hassle if you don't in a different kind of encounter. He was probably handcuffed at gunpoint, which is something I've never experienced & don't ever plan to. Here's an NES user who didn't notify & got himself in some hot water:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ing-that-happen-to-you-when-you-carried/page2

His encounter started as a routine traffic stop too. I'm only pointing out that people should be thinking in advance about whether or not notifying is a good idea in one situation or another. Sometimes speaking up creates problems, other times it prevents them.
Respectfully, I nor any cop I know would consider the stopping of a motor vehicle based on reasonable suspicion of shooting up a bar "routine". Even in Boston.

Otherwise, I completely agree with your point. Situation may dictate.

The financial, professional and emotional toll a needlessly escalated interaction with police exacts on lives is not worth the benefit of letting an officer like you know he is "among friends" with the person he is interacting with.

That's exactly my point but from a different approach. Telling a cop you're armed can open the door to problems, and it can also close the door to problems before they start. Have a plan (pull over right away, interior lights on, etc), but be flexible is all I'm saying, sometimes speaking up is in your best interest.

I always wondered if I was being paranoid making sure any gun I carried was in an obviously "unfired since last cleaning" condition. I now have the answer to that question.

Sarcasm? [laugh]

Respectfully, I nor any cop I know would consider the stopping of a motor vehicle based on reasonable suspicion of shooting up a bar "routine". Even in Boston.

Good point. But a lot of people reading this will assume that because the only legally incorrect thing they were doing was speeding or rolling through a stop sign that the cop will view the MVS the exact same way.

My father got pulled over about a month ago and the LEO asks if he had any guns on him. He's never owned a gun in his life, so he was really confused. Well, about 15 years ago he needed to get an FID to purchase charges (ammo?) for a nail gun he borrowed. He used it for a DIY remodel and that was that. Apparently the FID record showed up on whatever it was the LEO was looking at, so he asked my dad the question.

I've often wondered about this as I drive home from the range with a car (and waistband) full of dirty guns. I definitely pay a little extra attention to the speedo.

It's interesting to note that there's a prevailing opinion in some circles that you have a duty to notify LE you are armed, even though there isn't a legal requirement to do so. Check out pages 8-11 of this link:
http://www.mass.gov/anf/docs/csc/decisions/bypass/khalife-antoine-092508.pdf

If they ask, tell, and if you're being spoken to for anything other than a routine traffic stop, it's probably a good idea to tell them first.

This from the "fake lawyer" of NES. If you were married to a cop, which you obviously are not, or if you were a cop, which you obviously are not, you would definitely want anyone carrying a weapon -- licensed lawfully or not -- to disclose that fact whenever stopped by anyone driving a cruiser.

I agree with everything OfficerObie says said in this thread, and since he is a real police officer and a real law student, I am much more inclined to take any advice from Obes over the advice of any wannabe on this site.

That's the trouble with Internet forums. Anyone can come on here and pretend to be an expert. WHEN IN DOUBT, BE A FRIEND TO THE POLICE. Unless, of course, you have something to hide. In that case, may you be caught and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

But I, for one, am sick to death of worrying about whether my BF's gonna make it home from his shift, or whether some scumbag he encounters will decide it's just not necessary to disclose that the scumbag's carrying a weapon. Licensed, lawful, or not -- TELL THE POLICE YOU'RE CARRYING. Geez.

Last edited:
This from the "fake lawyer" of NES. If you were married to a cop, which you obviously are not, or if you were a cop, which you obviously are not, you would definitely want anyone carrying a weapon -- licensed lawfully or not -- to disclose that fact whenever stopped by anyone driving a cruiser.

I agree with everything OfficerObie says said in this thread, and since he is a real police officer and a real law student, I am much more inclined to take any advice from Obes over the advice of any wannabe on this site.

That's the trouble with Internet forums. Anyone can come on here and pretend to be an expert. WHEN IN DOUBT, BE A FRIEND TO THE POLICE. Unless, of course, you have something to hide. In that case, may you be caught and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

But I, for one, am sick to death of worrying about whether my BF's gonna make it home from his shift, or whether some scumbag he encounters will decide it's just not necessary to disclose that the scumbag's carrying a weapon. Licensed, lawful, or not -- TELL THE POLICE YOU'RE CARRYING. Geez.

Sorry, but this is the stupidest post I have read on NES in a while. Do you think for one minute that Joe Crackhead is going to say "Hi officer! I'm carrying an illegal gun!" of course you don't. Now how many lawful gun owners are going to get it in their heads to start shooting at a cop over a traffic stop? Not many I would wager. So why does he need to know that someone is armed if they are not a threat? Think before you post please.

Screw you and your personal attacks. Did you even read what Officer Obie posted? Or have you not advanced beyond the "Dick and Jane" series yet?

I am ****ing sick and tired of the personal attacks that Derek and the other mods have to put up with on this site. The premise is a noble one: educate lawful gun owners in this libtard state. But the neanderthal wannabe fakers among us spoil it for everyone.

You picked the wrong chick to attack. I am a friend of the good guys at GOAL. Darius A was my buddy and Jon G. is a personal friend. I've got friends in from Woburn to Cape Cod, if you know what I mean. So screw you, In God We Trust. Better yet, spend more time trusting God and less time picking on the girls around here.

You picked the wrong chick to attack. I am a friend of the good guys at GOAL. Darius A was my buddy and Jon G. is a personal friend. I've got friends in from Woburn to Cape Cod, if you know what I mean. So screw you, In God We Trust. Better yet, spend more time trusting God and less time picking on the girls around here.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've been asked this question before by friends and family and I never have a hard and fast answer. Since there are as many approaches among cops as to how to deal with an armed motorist, any approach one may choose to take has its pros and cons. As for me, if you tell me as the outset of a simple traffic stop, you'll get a genuine thank you.

That's all I can promise anyone.

... Did you even read what Officer Obie posted? ...

WOW!

I'm about as confused as Clifton Brown, at this point.... and I think we've sent this horse to the glue factory about 48 times already (pulled over while carrying etc).... so without further delay...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom