Is your gun safe at risk of an EMP?

My safes are either manual or have a key backup. My kids will still ask if something is in one of the 'fast safes' or 'the slow safes'.
Unless you have gone really high end, the key backup is a weak point. About the only two key backups I would trust would be an S&G lever lock or a LaGard rotary disk key lock. Worst is a conventional pin tumbler key an. ACE 137 tubular keyway

Unless you have gone really high end, the key backup is a weak point. About the only two key backups I would trust would be an S&G lever lock or a LaGard rotary disk key lock. Worst is a conventional pin tumbler key an. ACE 137 tubular keyway

I have the Ace 137 Tubular keyway as a backup to my electronic lock.

A few months back my electronic lock failed (battery corrosion) and when I went to open the safe the key wouldn't fit after being on my key ring for years. I had to take a round file to it to open it up to get it to fit.

Bob

I have the Ace 137 Tubular keyway as a backup to my electronic lock.

A few months back my electronic lock failed (battery corrosion) and when I went to open the safe the key wouldn't fit after being on my key ring for years. I had to take a round file to it to open it up to get it to fit.

Bob
ACE 137 tubulars are among the easiest locks to pick if you have the right tool. The HPC TLP-C model B works very nicely, though there are fancier units. You can even get the measurements off the tool after picking to have a key cut and if you feel like spending $361, get a Herty Gerty to manually cut a new key.

One way to tell the ACE 137 is considered ineffective - you never see them on vending machines now days.

Back
Top Bottom