Is two story shed possible?

Pafanasiev

NES Member
Reaching out to the NES brain trust

I have a 10x20 shed in my back yard that pretty much sits on the ground in back yard. Want to knock it down and replace with a 2 story if possible (making the second floor into office space). Is this something allowed? Town of Waltham - anyone is/has experience with architects and town laws? Cant seem to find much online.

Sides are at least 10 feet off, back is probably 3 feet off property edge

Thanks

I can't speak for your town but in my experience a two story building will require a frost proof foundation. Also, you will most likely require a variance due to the distance to your property lines. In my town the setbacks are 40' from the road, 30' from the sides, 25' from the rear.

Try here:City of Waltham, MA: Supplementary dimensional regulations.

Under the Massachusetts State Building Code (9th Edition) accessory structures used as a tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses where the floor area does not exceed two hundred (200) square feet do not require a building permit.

from Waltham building dept...
"Shed permits need a copy of the brochure, plan of land showing where the shed will be placed in the yard (5' away from the rear and side yards and 10' from the house) you may also be asked to get the Workers Comp Certificate from the installer".

City of Waltham dimension requirements...
Location and area of accessory buildings. A detached accessory building may be located in the rear yard area, provided that not more than 25% of the required rear yard area shall be so occupied. An accessory building shall be at least 10 feet from the principal building and five feet from the side lot line and the rear lot line.
Height of accessory buildings. When an accessory building shall exceed 15 feet in height, the height shall not be greater than 125% of its least horizontal dimension, but not greater than 20 feet in height. No accessory building shall exceed one story in height.

build a garage instead. 2 story "barn" garages are common. Probably easier to get permits. You could build it on a slab rather than a dug out foundation. Plenty of garage/storage/shop space and then a lot of loft/office/man cave/jerk off station space upstairs.
You've at least heard of the cost spike in lumber and then of course finding someone not passing out free rape whistles with their bids. Right?

build a garage instead. 2 story "barn" garages are common. Probably easier to get permits. You could build it on a slab rather than a dug out foundation. Plenty of garage/storage/shop space and then a lot of loft/office/man cave/jerk off station space upstairs.
I would be looking at this.

I came here to post this.

Oh it’s possible. It’s been done before. Whether it will be allowed in a city is another issue....

That is what I did, moved my shed to the other end of my yard, put up a two car garage with a nice upstairs. Heat, A/C, big screen, home gym, reloading station, beer fridge, recliner. Man-Cave!

YYou

You only live once , take a chance.
No balls , no blue chips
and when it fails you get to haul it away in a Dumpster.

Ya, no thanks not forgetting my balls are big enough.

True quick story.
Dug a pond with no permits. Nobody can see this place from anywhere except a plane. We got caught by the DEP using Google Earth and a collage intern. Fine if paid on the spot without contesting the order was reduced to 50K from 100.
Cost to put it all back per the order was 90K

I'm very well aware on how it works.

the shitbag nimby twatwaddles in my suburb do not allow 2 story garages, or I would have built one. They wouldn't even allow a second garage door, because there was a 2 car garage attached to the house. So with 7 registered and insured vehicles, 4 have to stay outside. I will build a 6-car steel outbuilding in the 30x50 range when I finally escape MA.

Since I have a tractor and ATV's up there..but will have fewer vehicles, maybe even bigger. Will put a solar array on the south facing peaks too

and when it fails you get to haul it away in a Dumpster.

Ya, no thanks not forgetting my balls are big enough.

True quick story.
Dug a pond with no permits. Nobody can see this place from anywhere except a plane. We got caught by the DEP using Google Earth and a collage intern. Fine if paid on the spot without contesting the order was reduced to 50K from 100.
Cost to put it all back per the order was 90K

I'm very well aware on how it works.
Dug up my yard because of a broken water line leading into the house , never called the city. Used parts that were to city specs to fix the water line , city caught me back filling the hole. Paid a lousy 40 dollar permit fee and said sorry after playing dumb ........... Life is nothing but taking chances , I'm willing to roll the dice than to pay to play.

the shitbag nimby twatwaddles in my suburb do not allow 2 story garages, or I would have built one. They wouldn't even allow a second garage door, because there was a 2 car garage attached to the house. So with 7 registered and insured vehicles, 4 have to stay outside. I will build a 6-car steel outbuilding in the 30x50 range when I finally escape MA.

Since I have a tractor and ATV's up there..but will have fewer vehicles, maybe even bigger. Will put a solar array on the south facing peaks too
ugh that's gay. I can't even wrap my head around why someone would give a shit about what you build on your own property.

I'd love to own a property with like 10 acres, no neighbors in sight, with a comfortably sized house and a big ass barn/garage/shop/mancave combo outbuilding.

ugh that's gay. I can't even wrap my head around why someone would give a shit about what you build on your own property.

I'd love to own a property with like 10 acres, no neighbors in sight, with a comfortably sized house and a big ass barn/garage/shop/mancave combo outbuilding.

Agreed. My NH property is 125. Long driveway. Few neighbors to harass me. No building department.
10 acres are out of current use, so I will be building a grande` sized outbuilding as soon as I finish shoveling against tuition debt for my youngest. 5 more years, unless GME does what the apes say on the MOASS

Back
Top Bottom