Is trigger pull constant?

ttk9801

NES Member
For a new semi-auto pistol with trigger pull of 10Ibs, what would be the weight after 5 years with many tens of thousands of round fired? I was trying to get an idea on how much the trigger pull is relaxed overtime.

Thanks...

Smoother and relaxed perhaps but pull weight reduction I would speculate as marginal. However without knowing what particular firearm you're referring to, its difficult to hypothesize any conclusion.

For a new semi-auto pistol with trigger pull of 10Ibs, what would be the weight after 5 years with many tens of thousands of round fired? I was trying to get an idea on how much the trigger pull is relaxed overtime.

Not much. Go get a trigger job. If it is an M&P with a MA trigger, get an Apex drop-in kit -- don't waste time thinking it will get better, fix it.

Last edited:

Thanks...

Or you could spend 100 bucks for a trigger job and have an awesome trigger right away

You will destroy the gun from the recoil before you fire enough rounds to smooth out an action and wear the trigger springs to the point in which they back down from 10#.

Any Mass complaint pistol needs a new trigger. If you don't you will never learn how to shoot well because the trigger weight causes too many issues.

Since you haven't replied to what kind of gun, I'm flying blind here, but this summer I had a chance to see first hand the difference.

I have a SCAR 16 with about 4000 rounds through it. This summer I shot a new SCAR 16 and the trigger was much grittier, both in the pull and in the reset.
The new gun also seemed to have a little "hitch" about halfway through the creepy pull that you had to work past that mine never had.

So I'd say that the 3000 rounds made a definite qualitative difference, but there didn't seem to be much of a difference in pull weight.

I eventually replaced my trigger with a Timney, taking the pull down from 7 lbs to 4.3 lbs based on my lymann digital trigger scale.

Any Mass complaint pistol needs a new trigger. If you don't you will never learn how to shoot well because the trigger weight causes too many issues.

Not quite true. One example is the Ruger SR9c (and I believe the newer SR9s). Great "out of box" MA trigger. With that said, I still put a ghost in mine, but it's still a nicer stock trigger than some "free state" guns.

Since you haven't replied to what kind of gun, I'm flying blind here, but this summer I had a chance to see first hand the difference.

I have a SCAR 16 with about 4000 rounds through it. This summer I shot a new SCAR 16 and the trigger was much grittier, both in the pull and in the reset.
The new gun also seemed to have a little "hitch" about halfway through the creepy pull that you had to work past that mine never had.

So I'd say that the 3000 rounds made a definite qualitative difference, but there didn't seem to be much of a difference in pull weight.

I eventually replaced my trigger with a Timney, taking the pull down from 7 lbs to 4.3 lbs based on my lymann digital trigger scale.

I would be happy if my had a 7-Ib trigger weight. It was a M&P9 (4.25" barrel). The trigger weight was 11.5Ibs when I got it. Now it is around 9.75 after 1/2K rounds. This is why I asked the original question. By looking at everyone's reply, it appears that a trigger job is a must to use it as a target gun. If I use it as a night stand gun for self defense, I may leave the trigger as is.

The shield 9 I have (3.1" barrel, with a trigger job) shoots better than the M&P9, at this point.

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Just put in an Apex kit. The factory trigger has to satisfy the AG and it sucks. Don't waste another round on it.

Not true. Any handgun with a manual safety, doesn't have to have a heavy trigger.

Thats why the MA SR9 has the same trigger as the free state version, it has a trigger. But most versions of the M&P has a horrible trigger.

If you are handy, then you could do this:

http://www.burwellguns.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm

I've done several guns with this trigger job. You can go as nuts as you want. I've done partials of this trigger job that resulted in trigger pulls in the 3.5# to 5.5# range.

You don't cut any springs, so it wacks the primer with full force. If you stay away from the cam surfaces for liability reasons, you can still end up with a great pull in the 5.5# range.

Install a $20 Apex reset assist if you really want it to shine and you are done. As is, I've never installed the assist kit on any of mine simply because I don't think its necessary. The kit just gives a very positive, Glock like, reset that anyone can feel.

If you are handy, then you could do this:

http://www.burwellguns.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm

I've done several guns with this trigger job. You can go as nuts as you want. I've done partials of this trigger job that resulted in trigger pulls in the 3.5# to 5.5# range.

You don't cut any springs, so it wacks the primer with full force. If you stay away from the cam surfaces for liability reasons, you can still end up with a great pull in the 5.5# range.

Install a $20 Apex reset assist if you really want it to shine and you are done. As is, I've never installed the assist kit on any of mine simply because I don't think its necessary. The kit just gives a very positive, Glock like, reset that anyone can feel.

Thanks for the link. I had done it this way with the Shield resulting a trigger pull of about 6#...

Thats probably perfect for a carry gun.

If you're someone who has shot IDPA or USPSA with a Glock or a 1911 and are used to a very positive CLICK reset, then just adding the $20 apex reset kit gives you a very nice trigger.

Thats probably perfect for a carry gun.

If you're someone who has shot IDPA or USPSA with a Glock or a 1911 and are used to a very positive CLICK reset, then just adding the $20 apex reset kit gives you a very nice trigger.

I have read a lot of complains about the m&p9's reset, but the one I got (after a few hundred rounds) has almost as good a reset as the shield. Am I lucky or what?

Wear and tear will eventually smooth out your pull, but your pull weight should remain consistant otherwise you would need to replace a spring or two depending on your gun.

Wear and tear will eventually smooth out your pull, but your pull weight should remain consistant otherwise you would need to replace a spring or two depending on your gun.

My limited experience with M&Ps in MA is that they come with ~10% more trigger weight, which will settle at around 10Ibs after 500-1k rounds.

Back
Top Bottom