Is this supposed to come apart?

I would not use a drill chuck with an endmill at all unless I was plunging straight down into the part, and even then it would have to be on an even surface with all of the tool engaged. Side loading your drill chuck will cause it to run out, and then you'll be left wondering why your holes are either in the wrong location, or blown out (oversize.).

So I have a drill press (Jet jdp-17mf) that I'd like to use to mill lowers but it's currently setup with a drill chuck on a tapered arbor (MT?). I have end mills (the biggest being 1/2"). It sounds like I need collets to properly hold the end mills, but it sounds like I should address the arbor as well.

As you've probably realized by this point I have no idea what I'm talking about, so I guess my question is how do I go about replacing/upgrading the arbor? Would I put a threaded arbor on, assuming that's a thing? Do I need to replace the quill too?

So I have a drill press (Jet jdp-17mf) that I'd like to use to mill lowers but it's currently setup with a drill chuck on a tapered arbor (MT?). I have end mills (the biggest being 1/2"). It sounds like I need collets to properly hold the end mills, but it sounds like I should address the arbor as well.

As you've probably realized by this point I have no idea what I'm talking about, so I guess my question is how do I go about replacing/upgrading the arbor? Would I put a threaded arbor on, assuming that's a thing? Do I need to replace the quill too?
Amazing walk down memory lane here. I didn't even know what I didn't know but the fine folks here set me straight and not too much abuse... I can't answer your question but hopefully someone will shortly.

Back
Top Bottom