~ Is this something new or what? . . .

In my travels on the Net I was surprised to find that even knives were being banned from being shipped to Massachusetts and many other states. I thought it was only guns and related items. Is it because the knife is of a certain length? What gives, has this been this way for a while or are they just spreading the amount of items they won‘t ship to MA?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

United Cutlery® Marine Force Recon
Assisted-opening Tanto Knife
7 1/2"l. overall, 3 3/4"l. closed.​

WARNING: You must be 18 or older to purchase Cutlery.
WARNING: Cutlery cannot be shipped to CA; CT; DE; HI; IL; KS; LA; ME; MI; MO; NJ; NV; PA; D.C.; MA; Miami-Dade & Sarasota counties, FL; Canada or Puerto Rico. Please check your State, County and City laws for restrictions before ordering Cutlery.

May be the over 3" rule but I thought that was just Boston, maybe I am wrong. It has been like that for years, some companies won't ship others will who knows. We live in a state that other states don't like to do free commerce with its residents because fear of prosecution.

Yeah, this has been a difficulty for a while. I knew a guy who collected knives (both functional and those decorative/fantasy things) and he complained that there were a lot of things he couldn't order shipped in to MA. This was 10 or 15 years ago and I recall that even back then it was patchy as far as which companies would and would not ship. I'm betting even fewer do now because the internet makes finding/enforcing even easier than back in the day.

This probably explains the sort of table manners one sees east of the Connecticut River.

Exactly the "original" reason for the ban. This was the only way they could not control the shipping of knives to minors. Another example of a misguided regulation that causes everyone else to suffer. I had a jackknife at 6 years old and I still have all my fingers and toes.

In my travels on the Net I was surprised to find that even knives were being banned from being shipped to Massachusetts and many other states. I thought it was only guns and related items. Is it because the knife is of a certain length? What gives, has this been this way for a while or are they just spreading the amount of items they won‘t ship to MA?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

United Cutlery® Marine Force Recon
Assisted-opening Tanto Knife
7 1/2"l. overall, 3 3/4"l. closed.​

WARNING: You must be 18 or older to purchase Cutlery.
WARNING: Cutlery cannot be shipped to CA; CT; DE; HI; IL; KS; LA; ME; MI; MO; NJ; NV; PA; D.C.; MA; Miami-Dade & Sarasota counties, FL; Canada or Puerto Rico. Please check your State, County and City laws for restrictions before ordering Cutlery.

I tried getting a replica WWI trench knife from like 3 different places and no one would send it here.

It's not the knives that are banned the vendor is probably a pansy and has taken a consent decree enema by the AG... or they know another vendor that has a similarly douchebag type policy and they just copied it as boilerplate.

-Mike

There isno knife length restriction in MA. However automatics and daggers are restricted by statute.

Plenty of vendors wont ship knives to MA, I believe theres an official ban but its still possible to get them, ive ordered a few online and had them shipped to my house.

Smash05
There isno knife length restriction in MA. However automatics and daggers are restricted by statute.

Sorry Smash, there is most certainly many knife restrictions in the state beyond what you cite. They are not STATE laws but local laws. you have a folder in a sheath on your belt and you can be busted in many a town/city.

That is true, but there is not Massachusetts Length Restriction, and most of the town by-laws are fines, not arrestable offenses. There is also no "Ban." I have never EVER had difficulty ordering a knife online.

Plenty of vendors wont ship knives to MA, I believe theres an official ban but its still possible to get them, ive ordered a few online and had them shipped to my house.

There is no "knife ban" under MGL. Never has been. The problem is the AG's office, and also a bunch of mindlessly idiotic mail order vendors. I've never had trouble getting knives shipped to MA from any vendor actually worth using.

-Mike

Yeah, and maybe we can stop the excessive bedwetting over bs civil by/laws that rarely hold up in court.

That is true, but there is not Massachusetts Length Restriction, and most of the town by-laws are fines, not arrestable offenses. There is also no "Ban." I have never EVER had difficulty ordering a knife online.

Technically, Mass has no length restrictions, but towns certainly do. Salem has a 2.5" limit. Get caught with a 3" blade and see what happens. IIRC, Swampscott has a 2.5" blade limit, as well. That's how they got Christian Johnson in the Anthony McKay case. BTW, the DA dropped charges against Anthony [thumbsup] Guess his fear of public retalitation got the better of him. Hopefully Essex County files to fire his ass.

It just falls into line that their paranoia stems from screwing us over and over. So as their illegitimate paranoia of our retaliation increases, they make more laws to restrict us, "for our safety".

There will come a point.......

Last edited:
No, it will never happen. Too many, including folks on this site, are into the as long as I Get mine mentality. They will talk the talk, but will "NEVER DO THE WALK". They are afraid to upset or hurt some one, Or good people will be affected. That is what happens when hard decisions are made and followed through.

So sad, but true...

Back
Top Bottom