• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is this REALLY a needed product??

Golddiggie

NES Member
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/99...ssp_caldwellmagcharger_20140714_1-_-AdBlock01

Seriously, I want to know. Are people getting so lazy that they need a $60-$90 (on sale/off sale) item to load their AR15 magazines? IME, these are NOT difficult to load. They don't take all that much time to load either. Maybe if we were in the middle of an actual hot war, something like that would be of use. Or you can just assign the kids/teenagers (that don't shoot well enough) to reloading magazine duties.

I also call BS on the "[snip] you can take 50 rounds of ammunition and load it all into two magazines in less than 15 seconds." They're not including the time to load the loader. Never mind that people in free states have 30, 40, 60 and 100 round magazines. So you either need different sized magazines, or you'll fully load one, and partially load another with each fillup of the "charger". Or partially fill a magazine if you have one of the 60 or 100 round SureFire mag's. Or one of the Beta C mag's.

IMO, this is another example of a solution looking, or manufacturing, a problem to solve.

I probably would have bought 2 when I was doing testing. I was running 60+ mags in a given period of time. I am actually working on automating it

I can see if you have arthritis. But other than that, lazy.

I'll deal with arthritis (already have it forming) without that thing. I'll hire a bullet wench to load my magazines if it gets that bad... As long as she's fully loaded with assets. [laugh] Oh,and she can shoot. If my hands get so bad that I cannot load my magazines, I won't be able to pull the trigger either.

Maybe not for AR mags, but the pistol mag speed loaders are worth their weight in gold. Not so much for a regular range day, but definitely if you are taking a class where you fire 1,000 rounds a day.

Last edited:
If we're thinking about the same thing, it just helps push down the previous round so you can load the next one. I was using one of those to help load my mag's when shooting IPSC. Really only needed for the last one or two rounds though. Or at the end of the day. Not talking 2k rounds per day, more like 300-500 rounds. I found that if I load one less round in those mag's, it was both easier on me, and I liked how they fed better. So, only 15 rounds per magazine.

It's alright, but not $60.00 alright, when for $27.00 you can buy one of these instead...

I have an old school LULA loader (damn... price has really gone up. I think I paid around $12.00 - $15.00), that works just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
UpLula loaders are awesome. I have the AR strip loader and the loader/unloader and it is all most people need. I wouldn't even be able to load an Uzi mag near 30 rounds without my upLula uzi loader, im not man enough and neither are most of you! They nake an arsenal loader that loads a full mag (primarily for military use or you can buy them) and is 1000 times better thab that Caldwell POS.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

It's alright, but not $60.00 alright, when for $27.00 you can buy one of these instead...

I have an old school LULA loader (damn... price has really gone up. I think I paid around $12.00 - $15.00), that works just fine.

This. UpLulas are the shit.

Thirded. Uplula is awesome. I also have both. The striplula makes loading stripper clips a breeze compared to that tiny ass metal thing they give you and the regular uplula is great for loading loose 556 quickly.

I wish I had enough ammo and empty mags to use something like that regularly. Probably a $50000 machine though. I'm guessing they sell it primarily to military and gun mfgs (for testing)?
The bowl feeder on this is at least $30k. The 29 round just kept your springs from being fully compressed and helped some reliability when running high rates of fire.

That requires the rounds already be in stripper clips. The UPLUA folks have a loader where you set loose rounds in a track, but it's not cheap as the track/base is solid machined aluminum. The Uplua is great and works very nicely for AR15 and aK mags (separate model uplua)

it all depends on how many you are loading and shooting. There loaders for 22 which are great if you are blowing through a whole brick ... like a bumpfire. Same thing for ARs, same caliber [laugh]

It does look like a POS that would break all to easily. Although I could see were something like it would come in handy for those that buy in bulk. I've seen folks who have hundreds of mags loaded and ready to go in their safes, unless you live in a fortress I still don't see the need of it.

That requires the rounds already be in stripper clips. The UPLUA folks have a loader where you set loose rounds in a track, but it's not cheap as the track/base is solid machined aluminum. The Uplua is great and works very nicely for AR15 and aK mags (separate model uplua)

It can be used to load individual rounds too (FF to 00:43)

I have my 7 year old load my magazines for me, and keep the rest of my .223 on stripper clips.

WAY easier than loading magazines myself.

Back
Top Bottom