Is this legal

I just got a new gas block and it has a bayonet lug on it. I was going to grind it down with a dremel but then I thought of this.

P1010380.jpg

Think it's legal?

For future reference, refrain from saying "I did this ... it legal?" Anything you say can easily be used against you in a court of law, and it has been proven already that the MA Chiefs of Police use this forum against potential gun owners.

Murf
what I think Ultimate meant to say is, that's is a nice pic of your buds gun, but don't bring it to MA.[wink] [smile]

Well I just ground down the bayonet lug on my friend's AR. He's from New Hampshire and wanted to lagally shoot it in Mass. Now what can I use to cover up the unsightlly unfinished spots? By the way, this is a build in progress.

411b79d0.jpg

Last edited:
whenever a post begins with "is this legal?" the answer is almost always NO.. It reminds me of the "do trhese jeans make me look fat?" question.. If you are asking, then yes they do..

I'll probably just get flamed for "fuddery" again, but I still see a bayo lug.... The law doesn't say that you can't have a functional bayo lug, it says that you can't have a bayo lug at all. Just saying....

whenever a post begins with "is this legal?" the answer is almost always NO.. It reminds me of the "do trhese jeans make me look fat?" question.. If you are asking, then yes they do..

Jenlynn- The thing is though, in MA, there is so much wrongheaded information floating around about gun laws that it's absurd. I talk to people all the time who have been told that some handgun they bought was illegal, but that assertion turns out to be a bunch of crap 99.9% of the time. A lot of people have serious misunderstandings of the law, and more often than not it actually ends up being detrimental in the wrong direction. (EG, they're applying restrictions against themselves for buying items or doing things that aren't illegal. )

-Mike

I'll probably just get flamed for "fuddery" again, but I still see a bayo lug.... The law doesn't say that you can't have a functional bayo lug, it says that you can't have a bayo lug at all. Just saying....

Does anyone else agree with this

Jenlynn- The thing is though, in MA, there is so much wrongheaded information floating around about gun laws that it's absurd. I talk to people all the time who have been told that some handgun they bought was illegal, but that assertion turns out to be a bunch of crap 99.9% of the time. A lot of people have serious misunderstandings of the law, and more often than not it actually ends up being detrimental in the wrong direction. (EG, they're applying restrictions against themselves for buying items or doing things that aren't illegal. )

-Mike

I know, I was being a smartass.. I'm actually waiting for someone to tell him it's fine as long as he paints it pink or some other bs..

IMO if it can't hold a bayonet it's no longer a bayonet lug.

That's what I mean. It looks like he filed off the "nubs" that keep it from slipping off. You could still attach a bayonet to whats left. You could even stab some "thing" with it, though it would probably slip off the first time you went to pull it out of that "thing."

But then again I tend to be a bit more conservative (perhaps overly conservative I'll admit) than most people as far as this stuff is concerned. 99 out of 100 people on this board probably think it's fine like it is. Maybe one of the lawyers knows of some case law and / or has an informed opinion.

If it was mine I would just shear the whole thing off to make it look neater.

BS Mass laws aside, I agree with you there. Having a neutered bayo lug hanging there "just for show" would be kind of lame IMHO.

If it can no longer functionally hold a bayonet then it ceases to become a bayonet lug. Same goes for a a collapsible stock pinned in place or a post-ban 30 round magazine pinned to 10 rounds.

When the ears are ground off it is only usable for mounting an under barrel picatinney rail therefore it's actually now an accessory mount.

If it can no longer functionally hold a bayonet then it ceases to become a bayonet lug. Same goes for a a collapsible stock pinned in place or a post-ban 30 round magazine pinned to 10 rounds.

When the ears are ground off it is only usable for mounting an under barrel picatinney rail therefore it's actually now an accessory mount.

I never thought of that.. I'm gonna get a PMag and pin it!

BS Mass laws aside, I agree with you there. Having a neutered bayo lug hanging there "just for show" would be kind of lame IMHO.

I did it this way not for show but b/c i could not find my dremel. I used a large grinding wheel that is not the greatest for precision. When I find my dremel I plan on making it more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

Just make sure you pin it out of MA and then bring it in :).

FYI this is more than what FNH does with their PS90 mags. The only difference between a 50, 30 or 10 rounder is the block that goes in the bottom after the spring goes in and before the floor plate goes on. The 50's had a flat plate (like on a normal AR mag) and the 30/10's have a larger block that the spring pushes into the floorplate pushing the spring up into the mag and lowering the capacity.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom