Is this legal - removing the wood on a MAK-90 in upstate NY

Hi Gentlemen,

I have a 1994 MAK-90 (stamped receiver) with the wooden thumbhole stock and handguards. Now I know you know what I'm about to ask....but despite an extensive search and lots of reading I am still not 100% sure of the laws (is anyone?) for this type of rifle in upstate NY.

I basically want to remove the wood and NOT play the 10 or less 922r game. So, I want to use this ultimak dragunov kits, here:

http://ultimak.com/CHOS-B.htm

I'm fairly confident that changing out one thumbhole stock for another is well established with the BATF as being okay (letters have been written, replies received). But what about the handguards? I want to change the lower handguard to the one that comes with the set in the link above, and also use an Ultimal optics mount for the upper - but aren't these items part of the 922r 16 foreign parts thingy (smile - technical vernacular there) and therefore cannot change without then needing to do the 922r parts game.

I'm confused and clearly don't yet have an acceptable understanding of this. Please help. I just want to get rid of the freakin wood and stay legal.

Regards,
NWO

Back
Top Bottom