• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is this legal in MA?

Hi Everyone,
I am still fairly new to all the laws of purchase and ownership of long guns in MA. I am considering the purchase of the following Rifle from Savage arms. It is the model 93r17 bsev, 17 HMR. I have not found one in this state... but I travel and have the opportunity to purchase elsewhere. The problem I have is not knowing if I will be able to even take it to the range to play with it. I think it is a legal weapon as it is Bolt action and doesn't exceed 10 rounds in the magazine. With a scope it is a sweet rifle for benchrest shooting. Can anyone just confirm the legality of the rifle... I know I would have to fill out the FA10 form etc... I just want to do this correctly.
Thanks[grin]

Thanks for the info... I was originally thinking about a Ruger 10/22... but by the time I got through adding for a heavy barrel, a trigger job, stock, etc.... the dollars were going fairly high... then a dealer in Utah showed me this baby... I was sold. Now to find a closer dealer. If anyone can recomend a good LGS in western MA that deals in Savage Arms products I am all ears.

I've been looking into getting one of the 93r17 TR rifles just because I think they look cool as hell.

From what I've seen a lot of dealers don't stock Savage rifles but most will be able to order a specific model. As for 17hmr, its still available because it never took off in popularity like manufacturers had hoped. With it being rimfire and new rifles still being cranked out, I don't see it going away any time soon.

I've been looking into getting one of the 93r17 TR rifles just because I think they look cool as hell.

From what I've seen a lot of dealers don't stock Savage rifles but most will be able to order a specific model. As for 17hmr, its still available because it never took off in popularity like manufacturers had hoped. With it being rimfire and new rifles still being cranked out, I don't see it going away any time soon.

Me too. The trajectory on the 17 is incredible. But it's not a round for punching paper , too expensive. But I heard it's perfect for Yotes and accurate as hell. It reminds me of a much lighter 5.56 with flatter trajectory. I shot one before and my pellet gun has more recoil [rofl]

Before buying the rifle, I'd spend some time looking around for .17 HMR ammo. Is it common?

It'd suck to get the gun & no way to shoot it.

During my vast searches for .22lr to use at the range (I'm not a hoarder) must shops usually had a couple of boxes of .17hmr hanging around so I would say you may have actually been better off with this rifle than a .22lr during the shortage.

As a side note to the ahit show that started, try B&G in Westfield. By far the friendliest stop in the area and willing to help people out. I believe they deal with savage but I'm not positive. Otherwise roll the dice and try guns inc or guns and gear but both tend to be moody at times

Ray: You are pretty badly incorrect. .17 isn't .22LR popular, but the industry has been happy to claim it as a wild success. Don't forget, the cartridge is barely 10 years old. the .22 LR is.. what.. 130 years old? The .17HM2 has been a failure and that may be your confusion.

Personally (if it isn't obvious) I am a huge .17 HMR fan and everyone who shoots it loves it. A person may not be able to justify a use for it, but that's a different problem. It's been popular enough that Rem and Hornady developed and just released the .17 HMR magnum (it has a different name that I can't think of now). At the end of the day that may put a damper on .17HMR sales, but that day is a little way into the future and that may just be the price of progress.

Ray: You are pretty badly incorrect. .17 isn't .22LR popular, but the industry has been happy to claim it as a wild success. Don't forget, the cartridge is barely 10 years old. the .22 LR is.. what.. 130 years old? The .17HM2 has been a failure and that may be your confusion.

Personally (if it isn't obvious) I am a huge .17 HMR fan and everyone who shoots it loves it. A person may not be able to justify a use for it, but that's a different problem. It's been popular enough that Rem and Hornady developed and just released the .17 HMR magnum (it has a different name that I can't think of now). At the end of the day that may put a damper on .17HMR sales, but that day is a little way into the future and that may just be the price of progress.

I don't think the 17hmr was a failure. I enjoy shooting it and have had a few rifles chambered in it. I just don't think it became as popular as many hoped it would. Out of everyone I know that shoots, I can honestly say only a handful of them have something chambered in 17hmr.

I have a ruger 77/17 and love it. Great second level round for A first timer. More bang with no recoil. Great gun with a rotary mag. Its the all weather in ss.

Back
Top Bottom