1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Is this discrimination?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dontdrivedrunk, Aug 14, 2018.

?
  1. Let it slide

21 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Under the bus

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Dontdrivedrunk

Dontdrivedrunk

Ha! This. Classic
    Yea passport
    I was going to renew my passport last year, but I didn’t actually use the expired one annnnd anywho. Ended up having my stuff overnighted.

I suppose i shouldn’t have used the word discrimination, nor do I think making fun of someone is illegal. However, it is nonsense that doesn’t contribute to providing the best possible product.

Right now, I’m under contract until November, but I really want an offer to stay on. Hopefully by then, they will mellow out. If not, depending on how well I do and how much they want to pay me to stay on, I’ll have to move on.

Let it slide has it.

Bonus wisdom of “ignore it, and focus one your work”

I’m good with this thread. Mods can nuke/close whatever

2. Roadglide

Roadglide NES Member

1000% correct

3. Lip

Lip Army Veteran

Meh relax, my late son tried to use his fid with the state police to get into Logan airport to work with me. They wouldn't recognise it as an I'd. Lols. He was 16 without his liscense at the time. Relax most of us on nes are aholes, specifically your kind of aholes lighten up.

4. fencer

fencer NES Member

My guess, is that your guess, is right, and that Ms. HR will not be on your side. And I wouldn't be surprised if it went very badly. Unless you work for Cabelas or something.

mibro likes this.
  5. kevin9

kevin9

Usual new-guy questions. Either answer them straight, or maybe with a joke if you can pull it off without someone taking it wrong. If it becomes constant (just to badger you), ignore it.

Ignore or joke (ex. "Dude, you still got your interview speedo? I want it when I interview for your boss's job.)

These kind need to be shut down immediately, much like you did. Only tweak would be not give any hint of being offended. Respond very seriously without any hint of anger or offense to shut it down (ex. That's serious stuff dude. I don't ever joke about that.)
    Yep. Keep HR out of it unless it reaches a point where it's no longer about guns. And even then be willing to lose the job as a result. Gun owners are not protected in any way.

All advice is IMNSHO and YMMV.

MrsStrangeNH likes this.
  6. Jason Flare

Jason Flare NES Member

I don’t know if this helps the OP but I keep this notebook completely separate from the notebook containing my manifesto.

wilson911, Roadglide and Fixxah like this.
  7. NH_Realtor

NH_Realtor NES Life Member NES Member

I think most of the people I work with know I have guns... hold on, let me ask...

Hey NES, did you guys know I own guns?

IMO let it slide and try to be funny about it. Catch a lot more bears with honey or something like that.

Len-2A Training and Lip like this.
  8. HorizontalHunter

HorizontalHunter NES Member

Look on the bright side. You can't be ERPO'd by employers or employees......... yet....

Bob

Lip likes this.
  9. radioman

radioman NES Member

I’ve never received better advice about the workplace then the following ———-

Go to work, do your job, go home, collect your pay on Friday.

Simple as that. Anything people say to you not about work is irrelevant. Don’t let it take up space in your head.

Lip and Roadglide like this.
  10. fencer

fencer NES Member

Honestly, I would handle school shooter jokes the same with pro 2A folks as I would with anti's. I would tell the joker that "I don't think school shootings are funny"

Arto, Lip and kevin9 like this.
  11. Roadglide

Roadglide NES Member

I agree with your first but can’t do it for the second part. My coworkers are like inmates in prison. They invent new unassuming ways to screw with you. I’ve been on the receiving end of some insane accusations. All baseless but damn I never saw that coming. I unfortunately work in an environment where they all know management can’t ignore anything. They just go around all the time dropping bombs knowing it’s going to get a reaction. Times have changed folks. We unfortunately have to have eyes in the backs of our head.

12. jefftk

jefftk

Great, then he will be the gun guy who is 'keeping score' on everybody in his secret notebook... no way that could be misinterpreted ;)

Lip likes this.
  13. Roadglide

Roadglide NES Member

He’s not keeping a hitlist.

14. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Damn right! LOL

---------------------------------------------------

Like Rob, when I was at DEC, it was no big deal. One engineer had a B-27 target as "wallpaper" in his office. I put up "Police Line Do Not Cross" tape across the opening in my cube when I was in an "intense work" mode . . . but my boss ignored it damn it (and it was really for him). I was later told that the employees I inherited at DEC in production were "warned" that I was a police officer. In fact the 3rd shift security supervisor sought me out and said "I was told that they hired a cop" . . . turned out we were in a 1-day MPTC police academy class together a year or so earlier. It was well known that I was a gun owner but discussed very little . . . but this was the 1980s-90s not in the environment we have today.

---------------------------------------------------

Today I'd deflect such comments and if you think anyone is merely curious then I would offer them a free trip to the range with you.

Good luck.

Lip likes this.
  15. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

If people keep giving you crap, get the vanity plate "MUCKO", (it's available again) that should shut them up.

(for those that don't get the reference, google it)

MisterHappy and robjax like this.
  16. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    Put together a five minute spew on some inane gun related topic. Range rats, how useless a .40 is, why glocks suck. Doesn’t matter, just pick one, but don’t make it a pro gun stance, just something gun related and boring as hell to anyone not interested in guns.

Any time someone brings up guns, go into your spew.

Speaking of guns, ... I can’t beli some people think a Glock is better than a 1911. ..............

Pretty soon, people will be afraid to speak of guns around you.

Rob Boudrie likes this.
  17. Scott7980

Scott7980 NES Member

what the f is a parka

18. Snora

Snora

Pretty sure hobbies don't fall under PI.

19. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

Here's an informative reply if one of them actually has a brain. I've had my MA LTC for 10 years but never looked at it in this light until someone here pointed it out.

I call my MA LTC my "certified good-guy card". Having it puts me in an elite group that are statistically less likely to commit a crime than police officers. {John Lott's study}

Having one proves that:
    I've never been convicted of a felony, violent misdemeanor or any of a bunch of other misdemeanors. Never had a DUI. No drug or alcohol problems. No domestic abuse issues. Never been committed for phych issues. I've voluntarily given my personal history and fingerprints to the police along with references so they can do a thorough background check on me. I've been personally interviewed, one on one, by my town's police chief. I've taken state approved safety training.

Then you look the person in the eye and say "Now, how much do I really know about you?"

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  20. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

how did word get out? if it wasn't you, someone in hr is not following the employee privacy procedure.

21. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

Not discrimination...just a$$hole co-workers. Either ignore it or find another job. To be discrimination that is actionable, you have to be a member of a protected class. Sadly, gun ownership is not a "protected class". Makes sense; we can protect ourselves. :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  22. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

See, I'm in your boat. Never had to worry about. At my work, one guy has his LTC, another guy lives in NH because he owned guns BEFORE he moved to New England and the rest know we all of guns and want us to take them shooting for team building. Hell, I live and work in Shirley and it is only a 5 minute drive to the range. Will have to make the team building exercise happen before the weather gets cold.

And to the OP. Dude, you KNOW that you can't use the LTC as a form of ID. Where in the law does it explicitly say that the LTC is a valid form of ID? Look at the RMV's website; nowhere do they list the LTC as a valid form of ID to obtain a DL.

Come on man!

23. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

Are you sure this is true? It's a state issued photo I.D. It's actually a more solid I.D. than a driver's license, though most sheep don't know that.

Well, maybe you're right. I just looked and there was a bill floated in congress to make CCW permits valid I.D. for TSA purposes but apparently it didn't fly. The TSA's website specifically states that CCW permits are not valid I.D.

24. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly that it SHOULD be a valid form of ID. Hell, I wanted to show my LTC to my daugher's Girl Scout troop leader when I volunteered to be the treasurer. You have to have a valid CORI to do that. I wanted to show them that my LTC proves I'm a good person because the background check is more rigorous than a CORI is. Nope.

cockpitbob and Lip like this.
  25. Palladin

Palladin NES Member

When someone jokes about you having a gun, respond with " hey, I don't talk about you being a member of NAMBLA", or crossdressing, or wife cheating, etc

Lip, TayNinh_66 and cockpitbob like this.
  26. Matt-CZ

Matt-CZ

It's ok, just put a big title on in that reads "TRANSGRESSIONS".

27. Jonesjoys

Jonesjoys

I think they have all been talking behind your back, i think you should have a little meeting with them, tell them that you would like to speak to them...i don't know the number of people, amybe 3-5 people. gather them and educate them. if it keeps happening, go to HR before SHTF

28. tuna

tuna NES Member

If you decide to go with the HR route, you're not being "DISCRIMINAED" against, you're being "HARASSED". Make sure you use the proper words if you want to be taken seriously.

Don't believe me? Go to your Local Gun Shop and say you need a new "clip" for your 1911. (Although this can be fun to say you're looking to pick up some "clips for your .45ACP", and after a fun conversation you reveal it is for a revolver)

29. dhuze

dhuze NES Member

An island surrounded by land on three sides
    By the time this is over the roof should be littered with keys.

30. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

I once used my LTC as an ID when I got carded at a liquor store.
    The girl working the counter said she never saw one before and didn't know if she could accept it, so she called over the manager. He looked at it and said to her nonchalantly "if he has a gun, give him anything he wants", then walked away.

[rofl]