• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

is this Baofeng radio good ?

They are good for the price. As mentioned, get a better antenna. Also look at Amazon and ebay for better prices.

I haven't tried that DMR radio, but my 5 year old analog UV-5R works great. That radio is probably 4 times cheaper than it's nearest Yaesu or Icom equivalent. Not much to lose.

http://www.nedecn.org/

Local DMR info..........
I tried DMR as the networks were getting established a few years ago- I picked up a Connect Systems VHF HT and my commute from central MA to BOS everyday thought it would be awesome.... There was only one DMR machine, and I couldn't hit it from the house even with an external antenna.

Now, I was thinking of getting another one since Connect Systems was going to have a dual-band (V-UHF) DMR Mobile radio coming out-

But... will hopefully pick up an SKS instead....

uj

uj

I have several UV-5Rs and am happy with them all. They are used for ham and commercial (I have the Part 90 certified ones). The DMR issue I mentioned above is that the Baofengs only do Tier I and most systems are Tier II. I believe that there will eventually be a firmware change to fix this but am not sure when that will occur.

- Rob

I managed to pick up a UV-5R off of Amazon about a month ago for around $20. Then I spent another $20 buying a decent Nagoya antenna for it and a few of the accessories. The Baofeng accessories like the microphone are cheap and also cheaply made. The only really good thing is it was really easy to get my hands on a programming cable and program the radio myself using chirp.

Last week I tried as an experiment using my Baofeng out on the open waters but was not able to make contact after being offshore only a few miles. So they really are limited to the horizon even when unobstructed.

I managed to pick up a UV-5R off of Amazon about a month ago for around $20. Then I spent another $20 buying a decent Nagoya antenna for it and a few of the accessories. The Baofeng accessories like the microphone are cheap and also cheaply made. The only really good thing is it was really easy to get my hands on a programming cable and program the radio myself using chirp.

Last week I tried as an experiment using my Baofeng out on the open waters but was not able to make contact after being offshore only a few miles. So they really are limited to the horizon even when unobstructed.

Well, that is what UHF and VHF suffer from due to physics. Wouldn't matter if you had a $500 VHF/UHF radio. Can't go where physics doesn't allow. [grin]

Use this to see how far you can really talk. Just remember to think "feet above sea level" when you put the numbers in.
http://www.qsl.net/kd4sai/distance.html

Last edited:
There simply aren't enough dmr repeaters where I live. I maybe able to hit Southboro from grafton but it just isn't worth it. The MD- dmr series is worth getting. I would stay away from the baofeng dmr radios they don't work properly on dmr repeaters supposedly.

Back
Top Bottom