Is this bad form?

So I go to the range today to try out my new 9mm, and there a few guys shooting. I come out while they're chatting and reloading and all that, and start getting my things in order. Without asking if I had my ears on (I didn't), they start shooting again. Certainly not unsafe per say, but kind of annoying. I grabbed my ear plugs as quick as I could, and decided not to say anything, as they were nice enough, an I didn't want to make an issue.

After they leave, a few more guys show up, and I decide that I'd wait until they were aware that I was going to shoot and could put their ears on. It just kinda seemed like common courtesy. I'm not the sort to get all wrapped around the axle on stuff, but I'm wondering if I'm right in thinking that they should have checked in with me before they went loud. Any thoughts?

Yes poor form. The last time I was at the range the other people at the range asked me if I had my ears on before they started shooting. We also informally coordinated our down range to change target times.

Gary

It's not just common courtesy, but common sense. Nobody should be shooting till everyone has at least earpro on.

I'd have checked the line first myself to see what was what. But some people are to caught up in their own good time. Maybe if Blitz was there with his Socom fiering first, they might have thought about there own ears first, then mabey yours.[thinking]

I usually have my ear defenders on the passenger seat when I show up to the range. BUT I always check when someone else shows up. I can't control their courtesy, but I can mine.

So I go to the range today to try out my new 9mm, and there a few guys shooting. I come out while they're chatting and reloading and all that, and start getting my things in order. Without asking if I had my ears on (I didn't), they start shooting again. Certainly not unsafe per say, but kind of annoying. I grabbed my ear plugs as quick as I could, and decided not to say anything, as they were nice enough, an I didn't want to make an issue.

After they leave, a few more guys show up, and I decide that I'd wait until they were aware that I was going to shoot and could put their ears on. It just kinda seemed like common courtesy. I'm not the sort to get all wrapped around the axle on stuff, but I'm wondering if I'm right in thinking that they should have checked in with me before they went loud. Any thoughts?

I agree that it is common courtesy to warn people on the range that you are about to shoot BUT no one should be present at an active range without hearing protection in place. The bottom line is that it is your resposibility to protect your hearing.

Another reason to let people know that you are going to start shooting is to avoid the possibility of someone heading downrange unexpectedly. I do not recall it ever happening to me, but I have read reports of people starting to shoot when someone down the line decides to walk on the range without letting anyone else know.

Yes it is poor form, and another reason for wearing plugs and muffs. I put the plugs on before I enter the range to protect against some dummy firing without telling me.

Be aware of the people who are at the range with you and their habits. There are a couple of people that I just pack it all up and go home when I see them coming.

I usually put my eyes and ears on before stepping on the range. That way I take responsibility for my own safety and don't inconvenience other shooters by expecting themt to wait until I put the safety equipment on that I should have already been wearing.

I just figure that it is up to me to protect myself and don't rely on others to notice whether I am wearing the protection...although it would be great if everyone did. Ideally everyone would. I always put it on before I approach the firing line, if others are using the same range.

I usually give them a "friendly" reminder. I also hold off shooting when someone is arriving or leaving the range, giving thim a few minutes to put on or remove their hearing protection.

Don't all ranges have rules on calling out 'clear' and 'firing'?

As to protection, always play safe yourself and never assume your, um, partner, is using protection. [hmmm]

It may not be your responsibility to make sure they are, but it is your common sense and courtesy.

Every range I've been at puts the responsibility of vision and hearing protection on each individual by by posting rules requiring eyes & ears at all times. I do tend to check to see if arrivals at the range have their eyes & ears on before I fire, especially if they're doing a lot of chatting or obviously have novice guests, kids, etc., with them. I don't consider it my responsibility, though, beyond maybe helping to protect guests from unprepared hosts.

I'd have checked the line first myself to see what was what. But some people are to caught up in their own good time. Maybe if Blitz was there with his Socom fiering first, they might have thought about there own ears first, then mabey yours.[thinking]

[smile][laugh]

Pesonally, I always try make sure my ears are on while I'm at the line.

What would you have done here........

My son and I were at our range..under the covered shooting area. No one else was there.

We were unloading and setting up our stuff when this mother and father with two young teenage kids come in and set up about 50 feet from us.

Just as we were going to start firing, we looked over and no one in the family had hearing protection of any kind.

We told them that they should put on their 'ears' and they said that they didn't' have any and didn't need any. We told them that they really should and that the noise would damage their hearing. Just shoot, we're ok, was the response.

My son and I looked at each other, I said if the fool parents want to go deaf, that's their problem but I won;t deafen the kids, and he agreed.

We left.

What would you have done?

My son and I looked at each other, I said if the fool parents want to go deaf, that's their problem but I won;t deafen the kids, and he agreed.

We left.

What would you have done?

I wouldn't have shot either. What a bunch of idiots. [thinking]

I just figure that it is up to me to protect myself and don't rely on others to notice whether I am wearing the protection...although it would be great if everyone did. Ideally everyone would. I always put it on before I approach the firing line, if others are using the same range.

In thinking about it, I think I should have put my ears on first. I won't make that mistake a second time when I see people on the line. I guess I wasn't thinking about it since they were all standing around chatting. Live and learn, right?

Just so I understand this...You are blaming shooters on the firing line because they weren't babysitting you ?

No no, Its not like that. I was just wondering if they should have been aware of what else is going on around them. Thats all.

Just so I understand this...You are blaming shooters on the firing line because they weren't babysitting you ?

Baby sitting? Every time I've shot with you at harvard and we go down range to put up new targets, we ALWAYS let the others know we are going hot again.

It's not babysitting, it's common f-ing courtesy. [thinking]

When I go to the range, my ears are always accessible so if someone is there shooting I can put them on before I get out of the car. When I am already there shooting and someone arrives, as soon as I notice them, I stop shooting and make sure they get at least their ears on. I also try to coordinate my changing targets with others and always announce loudly to make the range cold and make sure everyone is away from their firearms before going downrange.

As for someone not wanting to put ears on, I've never had that happen, but , if it did, I don't think I would waste my range trip for some idiot. The exception being if there were children, I would not want to be the cause of any hearing loss for them. As far as adults, they can do what they want.

Anyway, most ranges require eye and ear protection for all those on the firing line. At the least, I would try to find out who the person was or get a license number and report him to the club, assuming he was a club member. If he wasn't a member, he shouldn't be there in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom