• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is this a pipe dream???

I think I figured out why I have to wait after buying this from BPS and have never had had a wait longer than 20-30 minutes anywhere else. I think it has little to do with the year 2021 as the little twerp behind the counter said with a sneer...

Every other place I've bought from before calls in the info to the NH Dept of Safety and talks to a human. BPS has you fill out a form on the computer and they send it in as a pdf to the DoS...I don't believe there is any person to person communication done to verify your information so they can send you out the door that day with your new purchase.

Never again.

Yesterday the gun line was retarded busy. When I saw your story I knew either two things were possible:

-They were trying to phone it in and got lazy. If they were trying to phone it in, it would take 10-20 minutes (or more) of intermittently pounding redial on both the numbers they use. There's an excellent chance the person doing that was simply not persistent enough.

-When you did that thing on the computer they basically just faxed/transmitted it to DPS. Those will RARELY if ever, get done in the same day these days.

I, too, that .22 revolver itch to scratch but I wasn't going to "invest" in a monster Stainless S&W for $500+ just to plink .22s when I'm bored or with the kids. I ended up buying a Heritage myself. Hey! It's got a safety built in! Imagine that. It's one of the safest guns you can own and they are sub $200 all day long. You can shoot CBs, shorts or longs in it, too. I shot sub-sonic round the other day after playing with some red tracers! Yep, bright red streak of light to the target. Very cool. I don't have to baby it and it's just a fun shooter that holds 6 rounds. Highly recommended for fun. I've got other .22 handguns that cost a lot, lot more and they are very accurate but not as "Fun" as the 'ol Heritage!

Yesterday the gun line was retarded busy. When I saw your story I knew either two things were possible:

-They were trying to phone it in and got lazy. If they were trying to phone it in, it would take 10-20 minutes (or more) of intermittently pounding redial on both the numbers they use. There's an excellent chance the person doing that was simply not persistent enough.

-When you did that thing on the computer they basically just faxed/transmitted it to DPS. Those will RARELY if ever, get done in the same day these days.
I doubt they ever picked up a phone.

When I first got there there were about 6-8 people in line and one person behind the counter. I finally got to talk to a person after standing in line for about 45 minutes. She was pleasant, cute and had these disarmingly blue eyes (but I digress...lol). I filled out the info and soon after we finished, she got called away to settle some kind of dispute at the other end of the counter (some woman from out of state had moved to NH a year ago but hadn't updated her driver's license...why can't I use my updated registration she asked :rolleyes:).

By the time I left, there were 4 behind the counter. When I strolled in an hour and fifteen minutes later, the same four people were behind the counter with only one customer. The other three were just shooting the shit with each other. I wonder how many phone calls were made to DPS yesterday from that store. I'd hazard a guess of "none".

@drgrant , does DPS have folks working background checks on Sunday's?

I doubt they ever picked up a phone.

When I first got there there were about 6-8 people in line and one person behind the counter. I finally got to talk to a person after standing in line for about 45 minutes. She was pleasant, cute and had these disarmingly blue eyes (but I digress...lol). I filled out the info and soon after we finished, she got called away to settle some kind of dispute at the other end of the counter (some woman from out of state had moved to NH a year ago but hadn't updated her driver's license...why can't I use my updated registration she asked :rolleyes:).

By the time I left, there were 4 behind the counter. When I strolled in an hour and fifteen minutes later, the same four people were behind the counter with only one customer. The other three were just shooting the shit with each other. I wonder how many phone calls were made to DPS yesterday from that store. I'd hazard a guess of "none".

@drgrant , does DPS have folks working background checks on Sunday's?

Yes. Sometimes Sundays are best day to buy, too, because the call volume is usually way lower.

Yes. Sometimes Sundays are best day to buy, too, because the call volume is usually way lower.
Awesome...maybe, just maybe. Maybe I'll call BPS later today and see if the "proceed" came through.

Last edited:
Well, I did get the call yesterday but it was too late in the day for me to go down there so I will go down tonight after work. I found out the guy that called me was a guy I graduated high school with in the 70's. He recognized the name and asked if I was the same person. His mom and dad owned a small lunch counter in town that made fabulous subs. Small world.

Last edited:
I had a Ruger Single Six, and have a Wrangler. Single Six is more polished etc in every detail, but basically the same gun.
Only gripe I have with the Wrangler is the little loading gate is really stiff, it's kind of annoying. There's some internet tips on
making it easier to open that I have not tried yet. The rear sights are minimal, but they work.
I followed some advice on a forum about how to reduce the stiffness in the loading gate, basically squashing the Cylinder latch spring down in a vise a little.
It's really nice now, similar to the Single Six loading gate.

ruger-wrangler.png

Back
Top Bottom