Is this a pipe dream???

That particular dealer has a brother who is also an FFL in NH. Both great guys. I’m sure they could work something out for you.
Good to know...If I strike out this weekend, I just may contact him.

The past few weeks I have been hankering for a new firearm. I decided to look at .22 revolvers. The inexpensive Ruger Wrangler sorta caught my eye. It’s cheap (well, maybe was) and the reviews I’ve seen are pretty good. My $$ limit is about $300 so if I find a used a revolver in great shape, not necessarily the Ruger I would probably jump on it…

I have an older 22/45 Ruger but it's a semi auto. I want something I can shoot.22LR, Shorts and CBs out of.

Is it a pipe dream to think I’m going to find one at a place like Shooter’s in Hooksett? I’m thinking about strolling down there tomorrow to see what they have, if anything.
Best thing to do is get out there and look a old H&R might catch your eye ?

Best thing to do is get out there and look a old H&R might catch your eye ?
I was thinking the same thing but I need to think about sales tax once I'm out there, plus who knows what kind of chicanery will come out of DC between now and later this year when we end up moving to MO.

Last edited:
I'm going to go the cheap route here and recommend a Heritage Rough Rider .22. They are CHEAP. But they are good quality for the money.
Thanks Nick,

I've looked at those too and read many reviews on both the Heritage and the Ruger...on almost all counts, the Ruger wins out. Maybe I'll both...LOL

The past few weeks I have been hankering for a new firearm. I decided to look at .22 revolvers. The inexpensive Ruger Wrangler sorta caught my eye. It’s cheap (well, maybe was) and the reviews I’ve seen are pretty good. My $$ limit is about $300 so if I find a used a revolver in great shape, not necessarily the Ruger I would probably jump on it…

I have an older 22/45 Ruger but it's a semi auto. I want something I can shoot.22LR, Shorts and CBs out of.

Is it a pipe dream to think I’m going to find one at a place like Shooter’s in Hooksett? I’m thinking about strolling down there tomorrow to see what they have, if anything.

I've really been enjoying my Ruger Wrangler even though it's a single action revolver and uses the pusher rod to eject spent shells. But despite that, it's why I really like it. It functions like an antique but uses modern ammo.

ruger_wrangler1.jpg

You could always make a .22 revolver your first Missouri Firearm purchase... Good luck out there!
~Enbloc

Missouri flag-XXL-anim.gif

In stock as of 11:25 AM EDT
It is a great option for the money indeed, and it will shoot any ammo, obviously.
I wanted to get it but then decided against as I wanted my 10yr old daughter to be able to hold it and revolvers are bit heavy.
So got an AA .22lr conversion kit for a Glock- a result weights almost nothing, but, very sensitive to a kind of an ammunition.
Gain some lose some.

Save your money and get a 617 or something like that instead. Or something similar. I think smith made a 3" "kit gun" 22 LR as well that was like an 8 shot.

I am biased though. Single action revolvers make me go to sleep practically. When I cant sleep at night, I just think of a rossi reproduction clunker or something, out like a light. [rofl]
Do you even fan bro?

Single-Action-Revolver-Fistful-of-Dollars.gif

There's a small mom and pop store that I can drive by on my way home tonight and check them out. They are usually a couple of % higher than the bigger stores but they are good people and I like to give them business when I can. They might have a Wrangler there that I can fondle and perhaps walk out the store with it if I like it
Well, I went by the place tonight and they had a couple of pretty nice used Ruger Super Six's but too rich for my blood...the three they had were in the $600 range. Again, very nice but about 3x the price I want to be paying. They said they could order what I wanted but the price would be full boat list.

Last edited:
Look around for an older Single Six from the 70's or 80's....Quality.
I have one from 1974, NIB....I have another one from the late 80's which I shoot. Great guns!

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm basically buying this as a farm carry gun for when I move to Missouri...slithering snake shaped critters and all. :cool:

I'd go with a .38spl and some shot loads. Snake shot from a .22 is truly about useless beyond striking distance of a large snake. A long forked stick or a shovel would work better.
Shot loads are simple to make and you can mix shot sizes ( staying within weight parameters of the total weight).
It also gives you a few chambers for some regular bullets for anything else.

I'd go with a .38spl and some shot loads. Snake shot from a .22 is truly about useless beyond striking distance of a large snake. A long forked stick or a shovel would work better.
Shot loads are simple to make and you can mix shot sizes ( staying within weight parameters of the total weight).
It also gives you a few chambers for some regular bullets for anything else.
I already have a .38 special revolver...at this point, the cartridges are few and far between...and expensive. I have about 20K .22 bullets of various configurations. I wasn't planning on using snake/pepper shot...like you said, it's useless. Plus I was being somewhat tongue in cheek when I said snakes. I just want an inexpensive but decent plinker and also use it for pest control...like armadillos...LOL

I just want an inexpensive but decent plinker and also use it for pest control...like armadillos...LOL
Are you sure you've got what it takes?
Those things are fast.
vTEdAl.gif

Besides, you could get leprosy from them. [shocked]
Just scare it,
then roll it where you want with the tip of your shoe.
ea211c01a8be913f56f5fcedb05f14d1.gif

I had a Ruger Single Six, and have a Wrangler. Single Six is more polished etc in every detail, but basically the same gun.
Only gripe I have with the Wrangler is the little loading gate is really stiff, it's kind of annoying. There's some internet tips on
making it easier to open that I have not tried yet. The rear sights are minimal, but they work.

Thanks Nick,

I've looked at those too and read many reviews on both the Heritage and the Ruger...on almost all counts, the Ruger wins out. Maybe I'll both...LOL
I had done zero research when I got it. I literally bought it to get free shipping. Because I am dumb. Instead of paying $30 for shipping, I bought a $100 gun to get me over the $500 minimum to clear it. I was actually pleasantly surprised at the accuracy of it. I ended up getting a 2nd one in the same manner a month later for the wife.

Are you sure you've got what it takes?
Those things are fast.
vTEdAl.gif

Besides, you could get leprosy from them. [shocked]
Just scare it,
then roll it where you want with the tip of your shoe.
ea211c01a8be913f56f5fcedb05f14d1.gif
LOL...my biggest fear is hitting one if I'm out riding my motorcycle at night. o_O

my biggest fear is hitting one if I'm out riding my motorcycle at night. o_O
You'll probably power through it.
The one time The Bride and I biked all the way from Bedford to Cambridge on a long day,
we discovered she had a flat when it was night before it got fixed,
at which point I discovered she's left her Mini Maglite w/ head strap at home.
That's. Just. Swell.

So she gets to follow me through Cambridge side streets and on the Minuteman bike path,
trying to see what my flashlight is illuminating.

Out near Bedford something white darts right in front of me.
No time to swerve, no time to call a warning.
This is what it sounded like:
  • ThumpScream!Thump
  • ThumpScream!Thump
Neither of us fell.
She's like, "should we go back?".
I'm like, "NFW - it was white, I think it was more likely to be a skunk than someone's cat".

I went back the next day at dusk and despite a thorough search,
there was no sign of the incident.
Either it crawled off into the woods,
or someone took it away,
or Bedford employs very efficient crows.

Years later a friend suggested it might have been a 'possum.
I think that's a good guess, too.

I'm going to go the cheap route here and recommend a Heritage Rough Rider .22. They are CHEAP. But they are good quality for the money.

I have a Heritage Rough Rider variant too, I got it because it was too cheap to pass up, IIRC it was under $150.
I got the birdshead frame model with the black pearlescent grips, but really only because I didn't have any birdshead grip revolvers in my collection, and felt a need for one. [laugh]
It's decent for the price, but doesn't have the more refined feel, fit, and finish of the Ruger Wrangler. I snagged one of those last Summer for about $200, which is almost too good of a deal to pass up.
The sights suck on both of them, but I still manage to hit the backstop....................most of the time anyway.
For those bored by single action revolvers (Mike), have you ever shot an H&R Sportsman 199 ???
I have one, which I also bought cheap (of course), a very long time ago. 9 shot break action, which is actually faster to load than refilling a magazine. Fabulous trigger, and the front sight is adjustable for elevation. I also have the H&R 999, which is the double action variant of this frame. (which I also bought cheap). It has that really cool frame finish that turns purple with age. This one shoots great too, but the 199 still has the better trigger.
My personal favorite revolver in this class is the S&W M63, I snagged one back in the 90's, but I didn't get it cheap, it was planned and budgeted for, I didn't buy it on a whim like with the Heritage or Rough Rider.

Shooter's a no go...BPS has one in the case for $199....there's a line of 8 people...one salesman behind the counter. It might still be there when I get to the counter next month.

Edit: Now the wait for NH to tell them I can take it out the door. I got it for $189...a few percent off because...veteran. I didn't even bring it up. The cute young lady behind the counter did.

Last edited:
Shooter's a no go...BPS has one in the case for $199....there's a line of 8 people...one salesman behind the counter. It might still be there when I get to the counter next month.

Edit: Now the wait for NH to tell them I can take it out the door. I got it for $189...a few percent off because...veteran. I didn't even bring it up. The cute young lady behind the counter did.
So I waited for about an hour and half and got no text saying my NHDoS check went through so I went in to check on it...the guy chuckled and asked when the last time I bought a firearm...last year I said. This is 2021 now he told me and it would take several days! WTF?!?!?! The longest I've ever waited was 20-30 minutes...ever. I guess the demtards got their wish...a waiting period in disguise.

Oh well...[angry]

Last edited:
I think I figured out why I have to wait after buying this from BPS and have never had had a wait longer than 20-30 minutes anywhere else. I think it has little to do with the year 2021 as the little twerp behind the counter said with a sneer...

Every other place I've bought from before calls in the info to the NH Dept of Safety and talks to a human. BPS has you fill out a form on the computer and they send it in as a pdf to the DoS...I don't believe there is any person to person communication done to verify your information so they can send you out the door that day with your new purchase.

Never again.

Back
Top Bottom