• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is this a crushed primer-crimp?

walter62

NES Member
Newbie alert!

This is a piece of range brass I tried to reload. Look at the brass 'ring' right under the primer.

Is/was this military 9mm w/ a primer crimp?

From the looks of it, is the right thing to do is bang out bullet w/ a puller, save the powder, inert the primer w/ water bath
and dump the case?

1626885949310.jpeg

Seems like it probably has a crimped primer pocket. Got any photos of the brass headstamp?

Kinda looks like commercial? R-P 9mm Luger Maybe?
That'd be the first Remington 9mm case I've seen with a crimped primer pocket. Not saying it's impossible but I've never come across one. I have come across Winchester 9mm cases with a crimped primer pocket however.

Yes, the case headstamp does say R-P

I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was looking at and make it safe.

Not going to save the primer, maybe just the bullet/powder.

Guess I need to sort cases better before dumping into the Dillon.

Thanks everyone!

Yes, the case headstamp does say R-P

I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was looking at and make it safe.

Not going to save the primer, maybe just the bullet/powder.

Guess I need to sort cases better before dumping into the Dillon.

Thanks everyone!
If it’s an R-P, there’s no way it was crimped. That stuff is all commercial. I’m not really sure why it wouldn’t seat otherwise though?

Not unless it was mispackaged at the factory and the large primers fit in the small Dillon
tube (I have no large primers).

So if not a crimp (because it's R-P), perhaps I didn't fully punch out
the old primer and the new one is crushed/pressed into the backside of the old one?

@sieveboy That could be. It was range brass but I tend not to pickup really nasty cases.

the old primer and the new one is crushed/pressed into the backside of the old one?

Bingo.
Or just some random garbage in there.

You caught it before you tried to fire it, thats all that matters

I’d pop the primer out and reuse, but that’s just me.
FYI, oil is more effective at rendering primers inert.

No need to inert anything. A lightning strike is more likely to happen than setting off a live primer while depriming. Just do it slowly.

Not unless it was mispackaged at the factory and the large primers fit in the small Dillon
tube (I have no large primers).

@sieveboy That could be. It was range brass but I tend not to pickup really nasty cases.
Ya I’ve come across some brass that had corroded spent primers and the decapping pin would punch through the primer without removing it lol.

No need to inert anything. A lightning strike is more likely to happen than setting off a live primer while depriming. Just do it slowly.
I completely agree with you. I hit primers with hammers for fun in my basement to freak out my fiancée when I’m reloading.

She calls downstairs to see if I’m ok and I wait a solid 10 seconds to respond so she thinks I finally ate a bullet.

I completely agree with you. I hit primers with hammers for fun in my basement to freak out my fiancée when I’m reloading.

She calls downstairs to see if I’m ok and I wait a solid 10 seconds to respond so she thinks I finally ate a bullet.
I set one off and no one in the house reacted.
Not sure of it's because I make a lot of noise downstairs or they are waiting for the insurance money...

I try not to overthink things. I continue making the 1000+ rounds in the batch and throw that one in the dud bucket at the range.

One of the guys at work used to think it was hilarious to whack a primer with a hammer while I was reloading, just to scare the shit out of me.

Yes. I think what really happened was that I didn't quite get the spent primer out and then crushed the new one on top of it.
I doubt you could mash a spent primer sufficiently to get another one into the case enough to stick. I bet it just needs a nudge to seat it.

My guess is it’s a case that got wet or something, and the spent primer corroded in the pocket. When you deprimed, the primer tore and left a ring in the primer pocket.
This was my guess as well.

I was going to say to just throw it out, but it sounds like you already did.

Didn't you feel that thing go through the press?

Back
Top Bottom