• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is this 29 round Glock mag pre-ban and legal?

I wonder what the big deal would be for manufacturers to simply put a non-coded date stamp on their stuff? Obviously, we spend a lot of time trying to figure out when things were made. Why not accommodate us?

i hear your logic but i'm not sure there have been enough cases to really know for sure.
IMO if a self defense shooting is clearly in self-defense, e.g. attacker is armed and victim sustained GSW also, then i'm not so sure the victim (i.e. us) would be charged. if we have a magazine >10 rds, the chances of being charged goes up.

it's a risk i suppose each of us just has to assess for ourselves. considering the chances of ever needing my firearm are extremely low, and the average altercation involves 2-3 shots, i feel that having a 10 or less rounds per mag is sufficient (especially in a single stack 9mm). i would rather just not have to deal with the stupid magazine restriction laws in this state.

if it's just shooting at the range, then yeah who cares use whatever mag you like. i've got a whole pile of pre-ban 15 rd G19 and 92fs mags which are for the range, but i use none of them for SD. i don't like dealing with such absurd laws, but it all gets back to Massprudence.

just my system. YMMV.

I've resigned myself to the fact that if I ever have to defend myself or my family in this state it would take a considerable amount of luck and a considerable amount of money to stay out of prison no matter how righteous the shoot. So I carry my G26 with it's factory 10 round Mag, and a pre-ban 17 round mag as backup. Every night when I take it off and put it in the safe, I'm thankful I didn't have to use it because I am certain of the consequences. I'm ok with going to prison if it means my family is still alive and well.

I wonder what the big deal would be for manufacturers to simply put a non-coded date stamp on their stuff? Obviously, we spend a lot of time trying to figure out when things were made. Why not accommodate us?

Because most sane places don't require you to buy old magazines to be legal.

Is there a number on the follower , (if this is a glock mag)?
I beleve five and under are preban.
YMMV
ggboy

Glock will gladly replace followers for you if you ask nicely. Follower # is proof of nothing unless the mag is brand new and still in the original sealed packaging.

Get this:

The Gun Digest Book of the Glock, 2nd Edition
Patrick Sweeney

It has an extensive chapter covering pre ban mags.

The notch in the picture had a "v" shape.

It's Korean.

Post ban glock mags have a similar shape.

You can also observe the sub standard .40 imprint.

Felony.

Pre ban square notch factory glock mags have two extra holes under the round indicator. For example 17 holes for a 15 round mag. The two extra holes are closer together so as to not be confused with round indicators. I have two of these mags so yes, they do exist!

Pre ban square notch factory glock mags have two extra holes under the round indicator. For example 17 holes for a 15 round mag. The two extra holes are closer together so as to not be confused with round indicators. I have two of these mags so yes, they do exist!

I'll be darned. I have 5 or 6 of theses mags and I don't even have a .40. Who knew. Does the two extra whole thing in square notch mags mean the same thing in 9mm mags as well?

This mag is not made by Glock, as the only long stick they make is the 33 round 9mm mag (to give extrafirepower to the Glock 18).

As a side note, Glock also will not testify that the position of the .40 is definitive with regard to pre/post ban status. I've never heard about the "extra holes" being a pre-banism.

That mag looks like a Scherer, and I believe they have been in production since prior to 1994.

Because most sane places don't require you to buy old magazines to be legal.

Or require you to lock your gun away, in your own home. And then have to ask the multiple-time convicted and paroled/probationed/continued without finding dirtbag to "Please, do me a solid, and wait while I find my key to the trigger lock, fumble with it for a few seconds, unlock it, etc etc..."

OP should post a photo of the bottom 1/2 of this mag. Does it say Glock on it, or is it blank?

Just by the angle of the "notch" I know it is post ban.

I would like to know if is Korean or one of those Glock .40 20 rounders that came out about 10 years ago.

Maybe the OP should not post a picture since it could result in a loss of a courtesy spit in the old grey bar hotel.

Caliber markings are not everything. early gen3 magazines would still be good to go. As they did not have the ambi cuts on the magazines. Opinions will always vary but in reality you could be jammed up with a god damn dated mag in this hell hole.

- - - Updated - - -

Glock mag with no ambi cut or LE markings? Pre ban.

Are you going to carry a 29 round mag concealed? No.

/Thread solved. [rolleyes]

THIS!

Speaking of dated mags, in light of this long silly conversation, I cannot imagine WHY the manufacturers won't simply stamp a "MFG date" on their stuff, and then stand behind it. That right there would have solved any problems.

Speaking of dated mags, in light of this long silly conversation, I cannot imagine WHY the manufacturers won't simply stamp a "MFG date" on their stuff, and then stand behind it. That right there would have solved any problems.

Here is my opinion...

If they put a date stamp on mags, only those mags would be legal.

Without a date stamp, nobody knows and nobody can get jammed up.

I believe Glock did that on purpose to stick it to the man.

Of course, those mags that were made after the ban eventually were made with newer features.

Such as the "ambi-notch" (Glock 21SF - short frame era) and then the Glock Gen 4 (as in gen 4 gun) mags that have 2 mag catches for either a left side or right side mag release button.

Short of those features, I do not think Glock has ever given legal support to the Mass AG office stating a mag is pre ban. As LenS said, the chief Glock lawyer told the AG to "pound sand". Talk about a company that goes to bat for it's customers.

Compare that to S&W who (when at the time was owned by somebody else) tried to cut a secret deal with Clinton to screw gun owners over just to stay in business. Some have never forgiven them for that.

I really don't think even the Mass AG office can sift through 480+ posts in the Glock pre ban mag FAQ in the Mass gun law sub forum, to figure out if a mag is legal or not.

Besides, Glock says that 10,000+ mags were made with high caliber markings before the ban but in preparation for the AWB markings.

No, thanks. Not only no but **** no. It's bad enough that there are date stamped AR mags out there. The more ambiguity the better, makes it harder for the state to convict someone of this garbage, meaningless law, if it ever came down to it.

-Mike

Compare that to S&W who (when at the time was owned by somebody else) tried to cut a secret deal with Clinton to screw gun owners over just to stay in business.

What are you, like 95 yrs old with suspenders? [rofl] That agreement happened when the brits owned the company, for chrissakes. [rofl]

This is still as dumb as chastizing Ruger for what some dead guy (Bill Ruger Sr. ) uttered dumbness about when he was still alive during the pleistocene era.

Some have never forgiven them for that.

Yes, and those people are just a little ree ree upstairs, too.

-Mike

Well, answer me this. If the authorities *think* you have a post ban mag, can/will they get you for it, even if it's not? Or will they always err on the side of caution and say, "we don't know, so you're good"?

My feeling, which may mean nothing, since I live in NH and don't worry about such nonsense, is that they will arrest/fine or whatever they do, now and worry about figuring it out later.

At this point what does any of this matter as the OP has never stated who manufactured the mag. Why bother discussing the position of the caliber marking or ambi notched or angle of the cut if the mag is made by Scherer or KCI. What if KCI started making U-notch mags. Are people going to buy them and say "but they are U-notch so they are pre-ban." This year old thread is missing input from the OP, to discuss this any further is pointless.

I really don't think even the Mass AG office can sift through 480+ posts in the Glock pre ban mag FAQ in the Mass gun law sub forum, to figure out if a mag is legal or not.
Conviction requires proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

Citation of NES posts does not count as such proof.

Well, answer me this. If the authorities *think* you have a post ban mag, can/will they get you for it, even if it's not? Or will they always err on the side of caution and say, "we don't know, so you're good"?

My feeling, which may mean nothing, since I live in NH and don't worry about such nonsense, is that they will arrest/fine or whatever they do, now and worry about figuring it out later.

A few weeks ago I testified in Superior Court where a guy was charged with possession of an illegal large-cap gun (Norinco SKS, unmodified, 10rd internal mag) and large-cap clips (standard SKS 10rd clips). The guy was arrested 18 months prior to his case going to trial, a MSP ballistics "ex-spurt" filed a written report (and testified prior to my testimony) that the SKS is an 11+1rd gun and that the clips held 11 rds!! It was all BS, but he did get jacked up over it and if the PI (someone I worked with years ago at the PD) didn't hire me to give expert testimony, chances are good that he would have been convicted!!

So your assessment about MA PDs and DAs is sadly correct.

That's what I thought. And I have to ask; is there some reason that they couldn't take the clip (not familiar with the SKS, CLIP, not MAG?), to court with some snap caps and demonstrate that you can't get 11 in there? End of discussion?

Back
Top Bottom