• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is this 29 round Glock mag pre-ban and legal?

GlockJock

NES Member
Came across this cleaning out my uncle's old cabinet. I can never tell whether the Glock mags are pre-ban or not and usually ask the Glock dude at 4 Seasons but not gonna be up there anytime soon. Is this a legal mag?
uny8ajy4.jpg
pymupahy.jpg

If it is Glock manufactured no, the clues are the high caliber marking, full metal lined, and the square notch.

There are full metal lined, square notch preban mags but they are pretty rare.

Chris

If it is Glock manufactured no, the clues are the high caliber marking, full metal lined, and the square notch.

There are full metal lined, square notch preban mags but they are pretty rare.

Chris

So the "U" notch is good, this being square is not... and. if. 40 were lower, it'd be a pre-ban, (if not metal lined, yes?)

There is no way to tell for sure, or prove definitively one way or another. But logically it would appear to be post ban...

That cal. marking does NOT appear high, and could indeed be preban. Need photos of the opposite side.

So the "U" notch is good, this being square is not... and. if. 40 were lower, it'd be a pre-ban, (if not metal lined, yes?)

That is pretty much what my internet research shows.

Tony is right, it is impossible to say with any certainty. Glock certainly will not commit to anything in this regard.

I can take a few pics tomorrow of all my preban mags, I think I have most of the variants.

Once you see a mag stamped "for law enforcement use only" you will get it and understand the differences.

Chris

If i need 29 rounds of .40 then my problems are much bigger than pre- or post-ban

Does it have a date on it? No? Then it's preban.

The only glock mags that you can 100% say for sure are post ban are .357 sig mags and the mags with the ambi cut out. Everything else is preban as far as im concerned.

The fact is that ANY magazine holding 11 or more rounds is sufficient to be arrested and charged.....yes unlikely to be convicted of jack shit, but in this fine state we all know that far less than conviction is sufficient to have freedoms and finances destroyed.

Glock never made 29 round .40 mags.

If Korean, mag post ban.

Notch looks Korean.

Glock makes 20 round .40 mags but they too are post ban.

The fact is that ANY magazine holding 11 or more rounds is sufficient to be arrested and charged.....yes unlikely to be convicted of jack shit, but in this fine state we all know that far less than conviction is sufficient to have freedoms and finances destroyed.

That is probably the best advice here. Does anyone think that a cop seeing and not liking your mag because it holds so many rounds is going to know the infinitely small differences between a pre and post-ban mag? Or is going to listen to you when you try to tell him it's OK, because of XY&Z?

With that said, has anyone ever got arrested because they had a 10+ mag?

I look at it more like the fact is if I ever have to defend myself I'm getting arrested either way and any lawyer worth a hill of beans can get the charge regarding the mag tossed. Pretty rare for someone to get charged for just having an illegal mag.

Why call Glock? OP has not stated it is a factory Glock mag and as mentioned above Glock doesn't make a 29 round mag although KCI did.

ETA: damn phone key pad

Last edited:
Why call Glock? OP has stated it is a factory Glock mag and as mentioned above Glock doesn't make a 29 round mag although KCI did.

To determine if it's preban or not.

He's being facetious as it's known that Glock will not provide any indication on the production dates on the different generations of magazines they've produced.

I look at it more like the fact is if I ever have to defend myself I'm getting arrested either way and any lawyer worth a hill of beans can get the charge regarding the mag tossed. Pretty rare for someone to get charged for just having an illegal mag.

i hear your logic but i'm not sure there have been enough cases to really know for sure.
IMO if a self defense shooting is clearly in self-defense, e.g. attacker is armed and victim sustained GSW also, then i'm not so sure the victim (i.e. us) would be charged. if we have a magazine >10 rds, the chances of being charged goes up.

it's a risk i suppose each of us just has to assess for ourselves. considering the chances of ever needing my firearm are extremely low, and the average altercation involves 2-3 shots, i feel that having a 10 or less rounds per mag is sufficient (especially in a single stack 9mm). i would rather just not have to deal with the stupid magazine restriction laws in this state.

if it's just shooting at the range, then yeah who cares use whatever mag you like. i've got a whole pile of pre-ban 15 rd G19 and 92fs mags which are for the range, but i use none of them for SD. i don't like dealing with such absurd laws, but it all gets back to Massprudence.

just my system. YMMV.

To determine if it's preban or not.

He's being facetious as it's known that Glock will not provide any indication on the production dates on the different generations of magazines they've produced.

I know that Glock won't/can't provide the info, but my point was we don't know whose mag is it as the OP didn't say it was Glock OEM or a non branded mag.

Back
Top Bottom