• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is there such a thing..

Admittedly less costly than the ones I was looking at; the Field grade, according to their description, is not a grade I would consider. Not that I need one all shiny and untouched, but words like 'pitting', 'cracks' and 'gouges' along with the whole mixed parts bag makes this one a pass for me. Nice site though, very informative.

Word from CMP web is deceiving. It's only a mock up description by the lawyer to prevent future lawsuit.

I have a garand from CMP. The overall rifle quality is better than most garand seen on gunshow or store.

Yup, it's called a Draco. An AK in pistol format. They sell like crazy for some reason... don't see the appeal myself, but that's what makes a free market.

because it's cool as hell.

You mean aside from the fact that its more or less a defensive carbine you can carry on your person or have loaded in your car?

secondary reason aside from sheer badassery. up close you could wreck somebody's day in a hurry with a draco and a 30 round mag.

i'd snap one up in a second.

I would tend to agree; I just need to know what I'm doing. I can read and read and read, but I want to be sure I'm not missing something, so when I get to the range and the rifle explodes, someone doesn't say, "well, sure, you didn't do X, obviously it exploded!" [smile]
Re-read Architect's post from the sticky. You're not really "building" anything. You're sticking the upper on top of the lower and pushing in the two takedown pins. That's it. Actually building your lower or upper is completely optional. I chose to build my lower with simple hand tools and buy a pre-built Bravo Companyhttp://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Upper-Receiver-Groups-s/1.htm upper receiver group.

because it's cool as hell.

Uh... if you say so. I've seen 'em and held 'em but not shot 'em... and honestly, they leave me cold, as do AR-15 pistols. If I wanted a big-ass pistol, I'd be looking for a Wildey or a .44 Automag. (and I've seen and shot both of them, too... and I don't want either one!)

And neither of those have 20, 30, 40+ round mags available, and neither shoot a rifle caliber.

Plus, I'm sure you can get an ar pistol in .22

Ya, it's called an AR-15 [wink]

A well built AR will be extremely reliable. I run my AR's hard and rarely clean them, haven't had any issues besides an improperly staked gas key. Once that was fixed it ran great. I have seen a few AK's that are fairly accurate. My buddy had a Polytech Sidefolder that we were getting 1.5" groups at 100 yards.

Do your ARs have the original Stoner design or the gas piston system?

Re-read Architect's post from the sticky. You're not really "building" anything. You're sticking the upper on top of the lower and pushing in the two takedown pins. That's it. Actually building your lower or upper is completely optional. I chose to build my lower with simple hand tools and buy a pre-built Bravo Companyhttp://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Upper-Receiver-Groups-s/1.htm upper receiver group.

I was browsing BCM's site and the lower receiver description stated they wouldn't ship to MA.
?? This mean it can't be ordered by an FFL at all?

I was browsing BCM's site and the lower receiver description stated they wouldn't ship to MA.

IIRC, they only sell complete lowers with carbine tubes? They probably don't want to be bothered dealing with AWB issues.

My Sig 556 is pretty accurate and the thing is a garbage disposal. It eats absolutely anything and takes AR mags. I love my AR and it is a lot lighter, but if I had to grab one of the two at the start of the Zombie Apocalypse, it would be the Sig

I picked my lower up at a local store. As far as buying a pre-built lower, try shopping around at other sites if Bravo Company won't send them here. But you should be able to find a build lower locally and save yourself the time and hassle of scavaging online.

I picked my lower up at a local store. As far as buying a pre-built lower, try shopping around at other sites if Bravo Company won't send them here. But you should be able to find a build lower locally and save yourself the time and hassle of scavaging online.

What's the process for getting an upper? Any regs/etc to go through?

What's the process for getting an upper? Any regs/etc to go through?
Not much. They're just parts, and are treated as such. Choose your manufacturer (Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, Spike's, etc.), pick your configuration that you'd like, and check your "evil features" to ensure compliancy. The list you need to reference for your rifle can be seen here. As far as the upper is concerned...

1. Your barrel must be at least 16" overall (muzzle device included in that number) to comply with Federal law, unless you feel like dropping $200 and 9 months of waiting for a permission slip from Big Brother for a Short Barreled Rifle. Most companies are pretty clear about letting you know that you're breaking NFA regs.

2. Your chosen muzzle device must be permanently attached and cannot be a "flash hider." A "muzzle break" or "compensator" is fine. Look at the FSC556 made by Primary Weapons Systems as a good muzzle break option that does actually reduce flash, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. You can skip a muzzle device altogether if you'd prefer, but if you go that route you cannot have threading to accept a device. Oh, and no suppressors.

3. Your bayonet lug must be removed. Some will argue that rendering it inoperable by adding material to it or simply grinding the "ears" off of it is sufficient. To my knowledge, there is no caselaw that either supports or refutes that opinion. I chose to play it safe and completely remove mine.

4. No grenade launcher. Sorry. [wink]

These criteria must be fulfilled before you throw the rifle together in order to avoid breaking the law. Technically, it's better to get this done before you even have a lower receiver in the house, otherwise you get into the area of "constructive intent."

Many companies will take of these services for you. Some, like Spike's, have these options available online so you don't have to do any of that pesky human interaction. Others you should be able to just give them a call and they'll take care of you. You'll need to buy the assembled upper receiver, make sure you have the correct length handguards of some type, and have a complete bolt carrier group (some uppers come with one, many don't). You can have it shipped to your door.

What are you considering as far as barrel length and accessories?

What are you considering as far as barrel length and accessories?

Haven't a blessed clue yet. What I am looking for is a defensive (read: reliable), accurate (not match accurate, just like <2.5MOA with good ammo) rifle. I like carbines, being a shortie (applies to me and the rifle) so since I can't find an AK that shoots well without recycling (buy one, test -nope, sell, repeat) I figure the AR platform is it.

Accessories? Besides some nice optics, not really sure. I'm not trying to be tacticool or anything, just want a reliable rifle that can hit out to 300 yards or so, faster than I can probably work a bolt. (Otherwise I'd just get a .308 boltie)

Any advice?

Talk to John at Remsport in Ludlow. They're in the dealer section here. Good guys, they know the Mass. laws inside and out, and they can build one as plain or fancy as you like, or sell you the right parts for a DIY.

Haven't a blessed clue yet. What I am looking for is a defensive (read: reliable), accurate (not match accurate, just like <2.5MOA with good ammo) rifle. I like carbines, being a shortie (applies to me and the rifle) so since I can't find an AK that shoots well without recycling (buy one, test -nope, sell, repeat) I figure the AR platform is it.

Accessories? Besides some nice optics, not really sure. I'm not trying to be tacticool or anything, just want a reliable rifle that can hit out to 300 yards or so, faster than I can probably work a bolt. (Otherwise I'd just get a .308 boltie)

Any advice?
This is what I threw together. 16" and change total length on the barrel, fairly lightweight, handles nicely, and made of parts you can beat the ever-lovin' snot out of and still expect performance. Something like this, you'd be in it for roughly $1k give or take before you start throwing on optics.

If you're patient (read:smarter than me), you'll take full advantage of that Green membership of yours and keep an eye on the Group Buy Section for deals. I've seen folks on this site save hundreds of dollars on their builds by snatching up bargains.

If you're patient (read:smarter than me), you'll take full advantage of that Green membership of yours and keep an eye on the Group Buy Section for deals. I've seen folks on this site save hundreds of dollars on their builds by snatching up bargains.

From what I could see on the pics behind the sling [smile] that looks good!

Thanks for the advice on the Group Buy section, sounds solid.

4. No grenade launcher. Sorry. [wink]

Actually, you can legally get a 37mm Launcher under mount for the your AR since it's only a "Flare launcher" in the hands of a civie, and not even regulated by BATF(to my knowledge atleast).

The only ones with access to 37mm HE rounds are Military, not even Police can get anything more than non-lethal rubber pellet shots or tear-gas rounds.

Any advice?

getting the accuracy you want should be easy as pie, a tasty pie. If your gonna get a quad-rail for the front get a vertical fore grip and nice flashlight, and you'll be good for home defense. or woodland defense too lol

Actually, you can legally get a 37mm Launcher under mount for the your AR since it's only a "Flare launcher" in the hands of a civie, and not even regulated by BATF(to my knowledge atleast).

The only ones with access to 37mm HE rounds are Military, not even Police can get anything more than non-lethal rubber pellet shots or tear-gas rounds.

Smoke is also available in 37mm to civilians. Civilians used to also be able to purchase "reports" but from what I have read, they are now a big no-no to the BATFE without registering as a DD.

Well, now, that's nice to know.

Man, that AWB criteria was really well-written, huh? [wink]

Back
Top Bottom