• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is there such a thing..

as a rifle that is as reliable as an AK, but a wee bit more accurate?

Some great AKs out there, for my circumstances almost the perfect rifle, but I would love to find a way to get the rifle shooting just a bit better. This is really in response to those that fire 5 and 6 MOA, not 3. I think 3 is fine, given the rifle's function.

Thanks,
Pel

Ya, it's called an AR-15 [wink]

A well built AR will be extremely reliable. I run my AR's hard and rarely clean them, haven't had any issues besides an improperly staked gas key. Once that was fixed it ran great.

Some great AKs out there, for my circumstances almost the perfect rifle, but I would love to find a way to get the rifle shooting just a bit better. This is really in response to those that fire 5 and 6 MOA, not 3. I think 3 is fine, given the rifle's function.

Thanks,
Pel

I have seen a few AK's that are fairly accurate. My buddy had a Polytech Sidefolder that we were getting 1.5" groups at 100 yards.

Thanks,
Pel

Sig556

Thanks,
Pel

You may have heard somewhere that Finn reworked Mosins were much more accurate than the Russians version?

Valmetweapons.com

A buddy of mine collected Valmet rifles - very nice, and now very expensive.

Thanks,
Pel

sounds like a job for red jacket!!

srsly 5.45's are more accurate.

Ya, it's called an AR-15 [wink]

A well built AR will be extremely reliable. I run my AR's hard and rarely clean them, haven't had any issues besides an improperly staked gas key. Once that was fixed it ran great.

I have seen a few AK's that are fairly accurate. My buddy had a Polytech Sidefolder that we were getting 1.5" groups at 100 yards.

Aye, there's the rub..SOME AKs are fairly accurate, some are woefully not. Trying to weed the woefully not category.

As for ARs, well, the only example of one I ever used was in AIT back in, yikes, 86, and I was less than impressed. Also the caliber (at the time) didn't overwhelm me.

Anyone have an up to date, 'nice but not break the bank' reliable AR that I could shoot for a few rounds? I'd certainly appreciate it, maybe give me a chance to change my mind.

Thanks,
Pel

Best bet is.... shoot both (or lots of different guns) keep what you LIKE and don't worry about internet grousing about reliability. Because we all know that's what you're going to do anyways. [laugh]

-Mike

Best bet is.... shoot both (or lots of different guns) keep what you LIKE and don't worry about internet grousing about reliability. Because we all know that's what you're going to do anyways. [laugh]

-Mike

I wish I could, believe me, but cash is tighter than..well, insert joke here. I didn't think the search would be that difficult. I freely admit I fought in neither jungle nor sand, and have no real world feel for any of these rifles, but I am a bit of a researcher, and honestly don't understand all the AR positiveness, and I don't mean to start an AR/AK/whatever argument, sincerely curious as to why so many people like them?

A great build seems to be on the sticky up top, and it was very interesting reading (highly recommended for everyone wondering about ARs in general) and it seems the '300 yard or under' rifle with a medium caliber for under 1000 doesn't exist? Medium caliber for me is .30 range, though there is quite the difference between 7.62x39 and .308! Ruger mini-thirties seem to be, well, less than stellar; what else am I missing?

I don't know why you think AKs aren't accurate:

WASR-10SightingIn02.jpg

WASR-10SightingIn03.jpg

I don't know why you think AKs aren't accurate:

I don't think ALL AKs aren't accurate, however I do think SOME are worse than others, sometimes by a factor of twice as much.

My original statement, "This is really in response to those that fire 5 and 6 MOA, not 3." I've seen some test targets, some anecdotal evidence and more, which caused me to ask the question in the first place. [smile]

If you have a way to tell how accurately an AK will shoot before buying it, please let me know! [wink]

Granted, they're no lightweights... but pricey? No way. Field grade Garands are $523 shipped to your door.

Admittedly less costly than the ones I was looking at; the Field grade, according to their description, is not a grade I would consider. Not that I need one all shiny and untouched, but words like 'pitting', 'cracks' and 'gouges' along with the whole mixed parts bag makes this one a pass for me. Nice site though, very informative.

Admittedly less costly than the ones I was looking at; the Field grade, according to their description, is not a grade I would consider. Not that I need one all shiny and untouched, but words like 'pitting', 'cracks' and 'gouges' along with the whole mixed parts bag makes this one a pass for me. Nice site though, very informative.

They tend to heavily underrate their guns.

Oh, I thought you were going to ask if there's a 7.62 x 39 pistol available...my bad.[grin]

I built my AR15A2 for about $600 in all from a del-ton upper and parts, and a stag lower. Never had a single jam/misfire/stovepipe EVER.

the way I see it, building it yourself is not only cheaper, but ensures reliability and quality.

on a side note, my buddy has an ak that required considerable work and $$$ to make accurate. But on the other hand it was just as reliable.

the way I see it, building it yourself is not only cheaper, but ensures reliability and quality.

I would tend to agree; I just need to know what I'm doing. I can read and read and read, but I want to be sure I'm not missing something, so when I get to the range and the rifle explodes, someone doesn't say, "well, sure, you didn't do X, obviously it exploded!" [smile]

Oh, I thought you were going to ask if there's a 7.62 x 39 pistol available...my bad.[grin]

Yup, it's called a Draco. An AK in pistol format. They sell like crazy for some reason... don't see the appeal myself, but that's what makes a free market.

Yup, it's called a Draco. An AK in pistol format. They sell like crazy for some reason... don't see the appeal myself, but that's what makes a free market.

You mean aside from the fact that its more or less a defensive carbine you can carry on your person or have loaded in your car?

Back
Top Bottom