• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

-

After the first Assault Weapons Control Act of 1991, many importers got around the "evil feature" provision by cutting off the lugs of the bayonets. Thousands of them were neutered.

Some of the more popular models were the SKS-M's which also were designed to accept AK mags.

After the first Assault Weapons Control Act of 1991, many importers got around the "evil feature" provision by cutting off the lugs of the bayonets. Thousands of them were neutered.

Some of the more popular models were the SKS-M's which also were designed to accept AK mags.

My post may be misleading since it is kind of hard to describe what he told me. His isnt like an SKS-M, it still has a foldable bayonet. To extend the bayonet, all you have to do is pull on the bayo and swing it toward the muzzle.

Again, it is kind of hard to explain, but think of any regular SKS, except, to extend the bayonet he does not have to pull down on the collar. They bayo doesnt lock into the stock and instead can be freely transitioned from folded to extended.

The first question I asked is how he secures the bayo when it is fully extended, and he told me that it can lock into the end of the barrel just like any typical SKS does. He just doesn't need to pull the collar down to free the bayonet when it is underneath the handguard. I have never even heard of any type of SKS having this feature, and am a little curious if this is some sort of rare variant?

The Type 84 SKS-D had a removable bayonet, but you still had to pull the collar.

I don't know of any that can simply be swung out to lock.

Thats what I thought. I think that this guy may have just been remembering wrong. I just wasn't sure if there was some rare variant out there with this feature that I had never heard of before. At any rate, it doesn't sound like any feature I would want to have on one of my SKS's

Or is the spring inside the collar maybe just missing? That would let him have the bayo closed, but not locked closed. Then he could extend the bayo and pull back on the collar to lock it in place semi-securely.

Both the Carcano Calvary Carbine and the Arisaka M44 use a push button locking mechanism for their folding bayonets. So, the technology and know how existed prior to the SKS. Did the guy happen to mention if a button needed to be pushed?

I think I may be able to shed a little light on this. My dad has a Vietnam battlefield pickup sks that has a folding baynot without a collar. You release and secure it the same way as you would a regular sks bayonet, but when it is extended it does not feel as secure as a standard sks bayonet. The bayonet on his rifle is also shorter then a standard sks bayonet so I actually believe it was a folding AK bayonet that was put on an sks. I am pretty sure you can swap folding bayonets between the 2 rifles.

http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/d...ated-ak47-type56-assault-rifle/prod_1148.html

This is the bayonet on my dad's sks so this might be what you are talking about.

Matt

PS unfortunately the sks is at my parents house in florida so I cant put any pics up.

Back
Top Bottom