• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is there such a thing as a pre-ban magazine for an M&P15-22?

VetteGirlMA

NES Member
I'm really thinking about investing in a .22 (or 2), and I was wondering if there is either a pre-ban magazine that can be purchased for that particular caliber or if it were possible to retrofit an existing pre-ban AR magazine for use with .22lr ammo. I'd look online, but I honestly don't even know where I would look. If anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nope, proprietary S&W magazine. I think there are pre-bans for some of the AR conversion systems, so you could get an M&P15 and a conversion kit/upper and have prebans that way.

I'm not the smartest gun guy in the bunch here but I've never heard of one....per se, but I have an M&P15-22 and I talked to a guy once who told me crazy stories about those long 10 round banana magazines....pm inbound.

Last edited:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_M&P15-22

Appears to have been released in 2009, no pre-bans available

Tell me again why Massachusetts sucks? Cops, people who live 30 miles away in a free state can all enjoy plinking with a .22 except for me. I get the pleasure of buying magazines restricted to 10 rounds. Well this is just blowing chunks. I wanted to get a pink AR (cause it's girly) but it seems the only way to do that is via a regular AR like my M&P sport and change out the furniture.

I'm starting to see the advantages that a .22 can offer, since it's possible to shoot on a shorter range. It's too bad they made the rifle with a non-standard magazine. Maybe a 10-22 with a new stock and some upgrades?

I don't believe there is anything special about the 15-22 mag. Fits and runs perfectly in a standard ar with both a dedicated 22 upper as well as 22 conversion. A quick Google shows a couple of old mfr's out there, didn't dig too much.

I don't believe there is anything special about the 15-22 mag. Fits and runs perfectly in a standard ar with both a dedicated 22 upper as well as 22 conversion. A quick Google shows a couple of old mfr's out there, didn't dig too much.

A 15-22 mag is nothing like a standard mag.

A 15-22 mag is nothing like a standard mag.

Agreed completely but there is nothing S&W 15-22 proprietary about them as noted earlier in the thread, they work fine in a regular AR lower with either a 22 dedicated upper or a 22 conversion kit.

They make 25 round magazines for the 15-22. They are the EXACT same as the long 10 rounders except they have a pin, that can be seen, that blocks the follower from going past the 10 round mark.

Is that pin made of plastic? [wink]

Hard to imagine cops ever inspecting your .22 mags, but I suppose it's possible.

They make 25 round magazines for the 15-22. They are the EXACT same as the long 10 rounders except they have a pin, that can be seen, that blocks the follower from going past the 10 round mark.
I've heard that pin pops out pretty easy with a long screwdriver and a hammer. Certainly not something I'd ever investigate of course.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Might be better to go with the 10/22 option as others have mentioned. They can be tacticooled pretty extensively.

When the CT ban went in I grabbed two used but nice Marlin model 60's from the 1970's for about $110 each. Semi-auto .22s with tubular magazines that hold 18 rounds legally (new ones are only 14 rounds). I have crammed 20 rounds in them just to see if I could but it's probably not the best for the spring in the mag plunger thingy. Fun, very accurate little guns but definitely not tactical looking. Just a thought.

Last edited:
The 10 round limit on my .22 (Sig 522) doesn't bother me that much since I'll never use it for self defense. I want to get a bolt action .22 to replace (or supplement) it anyway.

Is that pin made of plastic? [wink]

Hard to imagine cops ever inspecting your .22 mags, but I suppose it's possible.

Metal

I've heard that pin pops out pretty easy with a long screwdriver and a hammer. Certainly not something I'd ever investigate of course.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A well placed drill bit would do the job with less risk to the magazine, I imagine. I would never do something like that in MA, not worth the risk. But if I were to move to a free state permanently, perhaps.

I picked up some 35 rounder aftermarket mags for it. Just makes it more fun to shoot when you don't have to constantly stop to reload. These of course don't come home to PRM, but they are fun. Pretty sure I got them for about $6 ea.

As for defensive use. True, the caliber is less lethal, however, I can dump a mag into a small target rather quickly. Zero recoil and light weight combined make it really easy to stay on target. Not my first choice, but if SHTF and I was handing out rifles, I would have no problem giving this one to a smaller weaker person in the group.

As for defensive use. True, the caliber is less lethal, however, I can dump a mag into a small target rather quickly. Zero recoil and light weight combined make it really easy to stay on target. Not my first choice, but if SHTF and I was handing out rifles, I would have no problem giving this one to a smaller weaker person in the group.

Yeah, it would definitely be useful for SHTF, although the Sig 522 is really heavy for what it is - my AR is lighter.

Yeah, it would definitely be useful for SHTF, although the Sig 522 is really heavy for what it is - my AR is lighter.
Funny, I actually wish it was heavier. I want it to mimick my go to rifle, in a cheaper training round.

I like it now for introducing new shooters to the AR platform. Same as I do with .22 conversions on my pistol.

M
A well placed drill bit would do the job with less risk to the magazine, I imagine. I would never do something like that in MA, not worth the risk. But if I were to move to a free state permanently, perhaps.

Maybe you wouldn't but I haven't seen too many M&P 22 mags in MA that -haven't- been repaired. Last guy I saw was like "Yeah it had this stupid thing in the magazine that only made it so it would hold 10 rounds. I drilled that shit out and now its back to normal. Same thing with the stock, it was stuck in one position. I fixed that too." (not his exact words, but pretty close).

[rofl]

-Mike

Tell me again why Massachusetts sucks? Cops, people who live 30 miles away in a free state can all enjoy plinking with a .22 except for me. I get the pleasure of buying magazines restricted to 10 rounds. Well this is just blowing chunks. I wanted to get a pink AR (cause it's girly) but it seems the only way to do that is via a regular AR like my M&P sport and change out the furniture.

Every other person with a ruger 10/22 in MA has either 25-50 rnd prebans (eg, ramline, butler creek, etc) or BX-25s for it. Whether people want to fess up to those or not is another story, LMAO.

Colt makes a nice AR with pink furniture on it, I saw it at a walmart in NH. You could find a dealer to get that gun for you and massify it.

-Mike

Maybe you wouldn't but I haven't seen too many M&P 22 mags in MA that -haven't- been repaired. Last guy I saw was like "Yeah it had this stupid thing in the magazine that only made it so it would hold 10 rounds. I drilled that shit out and now its back to normal. Same thing with the stock, it was stuck in one position. I fixed that too." (not his exact words, but pretty close).

[rofl]

-Mike

I feel as if I am a qualified "repair man." I just don't want to be someones wife over it. And, yes, the stock is quite easy to "fix" as well. ;)

Agreed completely but there is nothing S&W 15-22 proprietary about them as noted earlier in the thread, they work fine in a regular AR lower with either a 22 dedicated upper or a 22 conversion kit.

Uh no.

You are wrong, Wrong, WRONG. THEY ARE 100% COMPLETELY TOTALLY PROPRIETARY. As in, they don't work in any other gun besides the M&P 15/22 and they were designed specifically for the 15/22

The size of the magwell is actually smaller on a M&P 15/22. In fact there are companies that make mag well inserts so you can use M&P 15/22 mags in your AR15 .22 conversion.

Don

Ripping the pin out of a low cap long magazine is stupid.

The low cap mags don't have the button necessary to push the follower down while loading it to capacity, which makes it a real pain in the ass to load.

If you want to own an illegal standard capacity mag for your M&P 15/22 then drive 45 minutes to New Hampshire and buy one.

For what its worth, I really like the short 10 round mags.

Re the 10/22 vs M&P 15/22.

I consider the 10/22 to be more of a gun to be tweaked and customized. You can build a super accurate gun that will rival an Anschutz. You can build a race gun. Or anything in between.

The M&P is accurate enough. But its great because it allows you to do all the manipulation you would do on a regular AR while shooitng. 22 bullets.

I made Rifleman with an M&P 15 at an Appleseed once. So I was shooting 4 moa with standard magpul mbus sights that come with it.

Don

Back
Top Bottom