• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is there federal law that requires to ship handgun overnight?

As far as I know it's just FedEx/UPS policy as they were having too many ground-shipped guns stolen.

I've had FFLs ship them non-overnight.

I think the law is that only FFL's can ship handguns via USPS. NON-FFL's must use FEDEX/UPS....And it is their policy that handguns be sent overnight.

Is there federal law that requires to ship handgun overnight?

no but no use fighting it, this is a carrier requirement... only way around is using an FFL that can legally move them through usps....

I think the law is that only FFL's can ship handguns via USPS. NON-FFL's must use FEDEX/UPS....And it is their policy that handguns be sent overnight.

From the ATF's FAQ:
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

You could ship a handgun by ground, but you would have to declare it as something other than a firearm, such as "machine parts or metal artwork". Only problem is if it gets lost or stolen, your shit outta luck to try to get reinbursed for it......And i dont know if its a legal issue to lie to the carrier......

LenS addresses this and offers a rather unique and quite doable alternative which really saves money when you attend his Law for and by nonlawyers.

Back
Top Bottom