• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is there an expiration on a Safety Course?

A friend of mine took a safety course 3 years ago but never applied for his permit. Does he need to retake the course or will he be fine?

NO, there isnt, but under suitability, the PD can ask for a new one if they really want to dick people around. Watertown requires one under a year old before they will take your application, for example.....

It depends.

There is no statutory expiration, but some municipalities impose a arbitrary time limit.

He needs to ask his Issuing Authority.

I think I red or heard of some places that require you to get a new one if its more than 4 years old, and you didn't have a LTC during that time. Something like that. I know it sounds weird, but this is MA, anything is possible in this wonderful state.

When I applied for a Maine non-resident permit with my MA Certificate, it was rejected because it was over 5 years old. Had to take the class again to get a new certificate. Sent new certificate with application and check - received Maine Non-resident permit in about 4-6 weeks.

My wife's was 3 years old when she finally applied. Northampton PD approved without an issue. I never took a mass course for my MA permit, wasn't required back thin in 89'. I did have to take one for Maine 8 years ago and used it this year for my FL permit.

NO, there isnt, but under suitability, the PD can ask for a new one if they really want to dick people around. Watertown requires one under a year old before they will take your application, for example.....

Yup, mine apparently was no longer good enough, because I waited a year to apply. I must have forgotten that it is unsafe to leave my guns locked and loaded in front of my 2 year old niece

Sadly it's up up the mood and attitude of your local CoP.

He'll have to call the local PD and ask. This is one of the many evils of a state that requires "training" for owning a gun.

I have taught in Mass, and in a free state. In Mass. half the students were there to "pass a class." In a free state, everyone is there to learn because they WANT TO. -Guess who wins the attentiveness and good student awards? -Hint-it ain't Mass.

No expiration in my town. My daughter had taken basic 3 years ago and as long as she'd taken it she was good to go. For renewals in my town they don't even ask or request it

Do some of you guys have to retake it for renewals? WTF!

10 year bump instead of a new post

my boss just asked me today, "I let my ltc lapse like a dumbass, where can I retake my safety course so I can reapply"

pretty sure he doesn't need to retake a safety course. he is also reapplying in a historically 'green' MA town(wilbraham). what's the consensus? anyone have a cite, that if given the run around can be cited?

much obliged

merry christmas

my boss just asked me today, "I let my ltc lapse like a dumbass, where can I retake my safety course so I can reapply"

pretty sure he doesn't need to retake a safety course. he is also reapplying in a historically 'green' MA town(wilbraham). what's the consensus? anyone have a cite, that if given the run around can be cited?

much obliged

merry christmas
Officially, the certificate doesn't expire. Each chief may have a different position. I'd call the PD and confirm.

Training certs issued after 1998 do NOT expire. There is no expiration clause to be found in MGL or the CMR. That said, some chiefs demand retaking courses, just because they can.

If one had a valid LTC in effect when the 1998 law came into being, there is never a requirement to take another course per MGL.

If you ND into soft tissue then it might be time to retake a safety course or two.
Otherwise you should be good to go.

I had an LTC in my previous town for close to 20 yrs. Upon moving to my present town, on my next renewal they made me take the course again. Funny part was the current Chief was a Capt on the force from my previous town and knew me and several members of my family. Didn’t matter.

I had an LTC in my previous town for close to 20 yrs. Upon moving to my present town, on my next renewal they made me take the course again. Funny part was the current Chief was a Capt on the force from my previous town and knew me and several members of my family. Didn’t matter.
The next town I move to will NOT have any such rule. It won't be in a communist state. Having said that, the person who conducted my original course would be disgusted by this nonsense and hand me a fresh one free of charge. Granted, I am friends with them.

The sad reality of MA is that the chief can request damn near anything and if you fail to comply, they can withhold the LTC/refuse the application. At which point, you can take them to court and after wasting $10K in legal fees and 3-4 yrs in the legal process, you MIGHT "win" and get your LTC or the marsupial judge may just rule that your chief is taking reasonable steps and you have to comply after all. That's why it is wise to just escape from MA and never look back.

much obliged

merry christmas

Depends on the town and the licensing officer / chief

I know someone who let their LTC expire. They simply submitted an application for a renewal, and it all went just fine.

Depends on the town and the licensing officer / chief

I know someone who let their LTC expire. They simply submitted an application for a renewal, and it all went just fine.
that was my understanding as well. He is going down next week app in hand and will see. I am confident it will go smoothly.

Merry Christmas NES.

Back
Top Bottom